Online Armor 1.1 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MikeNash, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Online Armor Forums Moved

Hi All,

If you have been using the OA forums for a long while, you'll need to temporarily update your bookmarks.

The Tall Emu forums are at http://forums.tallemu.com/ - confusingly, there is a half-working version on the main tall emu site that we hope to get working properly on Monday/Tuesday.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

For those who have not used the forums before, simply access them through the tallemu.com homepage.

regards

Mike

2. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

Now the important question (at least to me).
    How much resources does it gobble up and do you experience any slowdown in how fast your pc operates?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Tempnexus

On my machine I am showing 6184K current and 14356K peak. In terms of feel, other than responding to it on occasion, I'd never know it's there. I would rate it very liglht. Best test would be to Trial it. Mike will gladly send an eval key.

Pete

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Not in normal use but I have noticed a slightly longer bootup time with OA. This is with a very fast machine.

Taking up on average 9MB VM.

5. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Blackcat,

Would "slightly" be about 60 secondso_O If so, that could indicate that OA is trying to find a proxy (or use IE proxy settings), timing out and trying without the proxy.

Let me know if this proves to be an ongoing problem - you should expect a slight slowdown with OA as it needs to start and authorise everything, but it should not be excessive.

Mike

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I've tried installing this and it asks for a key on startup, closing down if a valid one is not entered. Is the "full" version similar in requiring validation before it starts? If so, then it raises the possibility of a purchased copy ceasing to function should anything happen to TallEmu's validation server.

7. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Paranoid2000,

This only happens upon installation and first startup. After that, no further validation is required (except, of course, when we make the autoupdate routine check for current subscription, but we have a year to do that).

Our validation server is backed up regularly so there is little chance that it will remain offline for any length of time. It is hosted in a datacentre in the USA and these guys give absolutely awesome service.

Regards

Mike

8. Paranoid2000

OK, but that does mean that Online Armor would have a limited lifespan should TallEmu decide, for any reason, to stop supporting it. It also raises the possibility of upgrades being enforced by halting the validation of previous versions.

I don't wish to imply that TallEmu intend this, but these are the reasons why I oppose such validation in principle (and hence why I don't use Windows XP or anything else needing activation).
    What is this exactly? Does it mean that Online Armor will cease to function when the subscription expires?
    Nevertheless it is a possibility (e.g. if an individual's ISP has connectivity problems) - any likelihood of offering an "offline" method of validation? (e.g. downloading a fingerprinted file, with encrypted user details).

Finally, do you get to spend any time sleeping? :D

9. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Paranoid

If we stopped supporting Online Armor then we would take some kind of corrective action to ensure that our customers were not negatively impacted.

There are two reasons why I could see we would stop supporting it - the first is that we released something "bigger and better" - in which case, if that caused us to stop supporting it we would move everyone over to the "bigger and better product" under the same commercial terms as Online Armor.

The second reason would be if we decided that the product was not "viable" for commercial reasons and got out of the game altogether. If we ever stopped supporting OA and did not have a replacement for this reason, I would rather reap the PR reward of converting the product to free than the PR disaster of pulling the product completely.

You mean paid upgrades, right? Well, this would be unethical and based on our published pricing model, plus my own words in this forum and on our site I would fully expect to be hung from the nearest lamppost should we ever pull a stunt like that.

Going the activation route was a tough decision - and it's based on some sad experience I'm afraid. A few years ago (more than I care to count, actually) my former company released a nice little SMS product. It was great. Did ringtones (with a nice musical editor), text messaging, logos, etc. We even made it free - just pay for the messages... and we didn't rort people on the message charges either. The only problem was that we had to pull the software within the month - massive card fraud, and it killed the product.

However, I'm always open to discussion about this - including modifications to the licence agreement to specifically put the protections and comments I have outlined into that document.

No - OA does not expire (unless its a trial version). The subscription refers to the threat database and product updates. If you purchase OA now, our "subscription" not only includes threats, but all new versions of OA that are released. If we've upgraded OA enough over the next 12 months that you don't see value in shelling out another $14.95, then don't - and your OA will continue to work.

This has been mentioned by someone before, and I would not rule it out in the future. However, the validation only happens once - and OA is a product that protects you while surfing the net, receiveing email and executing strange programs... so I assume that most people would not need it.

Sadly, not as much as I would like - but right now its 4pm in Sydney so only 6 hours to go. We have plans to hire a support guy in the US (we've found him already) to cover the times when sensible Aussies should be asleep, but as we've just launched we need to wait and see how the sales go for a bit first.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

So you get to sleep while the Emu is forced into 24 hour labor? Aren't there animal cruelty laws about that? :D :D

11. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

lol, hey Notok, ever seen an Emu mate, tough little tall buggers, run all day and work all night, so no probs on that score. :D
    TAS :p

12. Paranoid2000

While I would sympathise with having to deal with fraud, I cannot see online activation offering a solution unless you make it a regular, repeated requirement or introduce a few days' delay before sending a key in order to allow more time to verify each purchase.

The method used by some other software is to have an individual key coupled with a blacklist (included within the program) - if someone uses a fraudulent card, their key gets added to the blacklist for future versions which then prevents them from using subsequent updates. The advantage for legitimate purchasers is that they can install and use the software, regardless of what happens to the company that produced it.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Well, another possibility would be malware blocking access to TallEmu's website (as has happened with other security websites) preventing activation - making OA of limited value for already infected systems. If you do decide to remove this in future, I'd be interested in checking OA out.

13. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I can't fly, but I'm telling you... I can run the pants of a kangaroo :)

http://www.johnwilliamson.com.au/html/music.html

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Kangaroos got pants?! :eek:

15. xxxx

xxxx Guest

Well they've got pockets don't they?

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

How does this product compare with SafeNsec?

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

My post at the beginning of this thread applies to just about any behavior blocker, including SnS :)

18. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Re: Online Armor 1.1 Service release (1.1.0.146)

Hi Everyone,

A new Online Armor is available on Automatic updates, and the website for download. It's just a service release that contains the following new fixes/features:

* Corrected links for privacy policy, buy now button in the Online Armor GUI
    * Help files changed to HTML format
    * Display of alert history in "History" tab is no longer truncated
    * "Block" button no longer highloghted when blocked application is selected
    * Cosmetic change to fix spelling mistake on keylogger window
    * Warning dialog when Program blocker is turned off
    * Ability to see state of WebShield, Program Blocker and Mail Screen on right-click tray menu
    * Fixed wildcard bug in protected sites causing 100% CPU
    * Changed DNS Subversion warnings to display the mismatched IP addresses
    * Changed DNS Subversion warning to "Orange" if the trusted DNS is temporarily unavailable.

Please note - the updated help is not available on Auto update at the moment , so if access to the help file from the program is important for you over the next few days, a reinstall is needed. But, I'll have the help on Auto update over the next couple of days.

As always, let me know if you have any problems!

Mike

19. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Guys

A new OA is up on Autoupdates and the Tall Emu Site. I'm happy to say that it fixes a conflict with TrojanHunter.

You now don't need to contact me to get a trial key - just check on the download page where one is available.

Regards

Mike

20. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

The boxing Kangaroo does, if I remember right

And not only are those kangaroos in pants tough...their damned hard to outrun !

Btw Mike, I received the autoupdates. Unfortunately it won't install properly on my system. Says something like "OA did not install properly. You need to restart your computer to complete the installation"

I restarted the computer a couple of times (after shutting down my security programs). That didn't work, so I downloaded manually from your site...uninstalled OA, and reinstalled from the fresh file...but still receive same error message.

Currently uninstalled (to stop the message, because I can't seem to restart OA at all). Will of course be putting it back online as soon as can figure out what's wrong :)

21. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

This happens if OA has some files in use - that bit is normal.

That bit is not - gimme a sec, I will try and reproduce at home...

22. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I can't reproduce this - did you get an autoupdate yesterday? And then a new one today?

I can suggest that if you delete "local.dat" - and then, from here please try to restart OA (it will ask for a licence key) and let me know what happens?

23. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I`m getting this error with auto updates Mike.

Attached Files:

24. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Beetlejuice..

Can you try to open internet prefs inside OA and deselect all options (unless, you are running a proxy?)

I'm here and online if needed to help. (so, can be reached on ICQ if you want "interactive" help)

Mike

EDIT; This may be a silly question - but can you reach www.tallemu.com in a browser?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  25. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Hey Mike,

Are autoupdates supposed to occur so often? Everytime it asks if I want to reboot, usually when I least want it to but at the same time I want OA updated and secure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.