Online Armor 1.1 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MikeNash, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Hi Mike

I deleted the tallemu directory, and cleaned the registry, then did another reinstall, and it's working fine now :)

2. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I think I know what it was. If you are having a problem, then I believe deleting local.dat will solve it (you will need to enter your licence key again).

Sorry about that -

Mike

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hey WSFuser -

Going forward, OA updates will occur quarterly (for program updates), or if an urgent issue is discovered, as soon as it's fixed.

At the moment, however, we do have a couple of compatibility issues which affect a small number of programs and users and we're keen to roll these out as quickly as we can. I expect this to only last another 7 days or so, but what I will do is hold off on the file updates and maybe do them once a week once everything is tested.

Updates to the threat database will still go out as normal though, and they never need a reboot :)

Mike

4. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Hey Mike problem is fixed. ZoneAlarm for some reason X`ed out OA`s access rights. Now she`s all updated and ready to rummmble.

5. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I'm a muppet - I should have thought of that :-(

OA exe changed !!!

Thanks for the update Beetlejuice. I'll pass that on to another guy who's having similar issues.

Mike

6. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Anytime Mike.

7. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Mike, I just installed OA today for a trial run, here are some of the problems. Some eventually went away, others remain until I uninstall OA.

I have a dial-up and a connection isn’t available immediately after a Reboot but OA tried to connect immediately and thus I got the Socket Error 10065

I also got popup warnings about regprot.exe and others which I had given Allow permission during the Install.

then, about 2 minutes later I got a message that pccguide.exe had crashed with an MS Visual C++ Runtime Library error and then the system rebooted on it’s own.

During the forced reboot, I got a DOS message which said that the Boot time defrag run by Raxco’s Perfect Disk could not gain exclusive control of the hard drive and therefore it could not do what I want it to. I assume this is due to OA running first and protecting me, but I have to have some way to Allow PD to run the Boot time defrag.

Once in Windows, I got the OA message above re: socket error 11001, and then again, about 2 minutes later, got the PC-cillan C++ Runtime Library error. And the PCC Guide is not in my System tray. I’ll try to start it manually later on.

I closed the PCC error message to see what happens. it didn’t cause another reboot, so that’s good.

I then clicked OK to the OA Internet Connection error popup
    Nothing bad happened, but I got the ZAP prompt to allow OA to connect which I chose to allow once (prompt each time).

This ZAP happened after the first reboot but I forgot that it had. So, I established a connection (didn’t have one yet…. Need a way to tell OA not to do this until I do have one), then Click Yes and see what happens.
    there was an immediate download to my PC of about 175KB. When I opened DSC Port Explorer to check what was doing this, I saw absolutely no Established connection. Does OA “hide” from PE?

I opened OA and check settings and saw version 1.1.0.146
    The Update was still set to manual, I clicked on Update Now and saw the total downloaded data is now 8,552KB (now this did show in PE as 66.100.171.82/80).
    I didn’t immediately notice the file names being downloaded, but I caught the following:
    o_Oo_O?? Filewatcher.dll HooksWatcher.dll ProcessWatcher.dll RegistryWatcher.dll ServiceShield.dll WinsockProxy.dll OnlineArmor.exe Updater.exe
    All done, got the OA Restart Sevice popup,

clicked OK got message to restart the computer Click Yes

Download was pretty much everything…., it’s terribly slow at 24.0kbps.

OA now at 1.1.0.152

I had checked the Send anonymous info…. Box, and that may be why the attempt to ‘connect immediately’ occurred. I unchecked it and rebooted to verify. Should default to No or warn/wait for dialup since I want the system to be auto-booted if there’s a power failure and I don’t want messages sitting there unanswered when I’m not there to do so, in case this crashes the system or otherwise prevents the Video Security system running. I use the PC mainly for a video security system when I’m not home and want it “up” all the time.

I was also worried about what will happen when I switch to a different Raxco First Defense Snapshot. If OA is at such a low level, will it crash when it can’t find its installation folder in the TestDemo Snapshot? No, it’s OK.

After the reboot after the update, I got the PCC Guide error again but I didn’t have to reboot.

I can start PCCguide and PCCmain by putting icons in my Quick start Bar. I just can’t use the guide to shutdown PCC (which is good most of the time). I also put a shortcut to pccguide.exe on the desktop and I started it, it’s in the system tray, then got the C++ error again, it seems to be about 2 minutes after pccguide is started.

Ran SpyBot S&D to check Processes and such and found that OA has been “injected” into just about everything, including Process Guard (wow, didn’t know that could happen!).

Next step reboot, and check Perfect Disk Boot time defrag. It was OK this time.

Now when I try to update PCC, I get the following message, for a very long time!
    (forever, actually!) Trend Micro Internet Security – “This feature is still initializing. Wait a few moments and try again later.”

So, I exited OA and almost immediately Regprot crashed with Dr. Watson

and a message from Process Guard that “onlinearmor tried to modify an existing driver/service named svconlinearmor”.

so I changed it’s PG permissions to be as follows…Install Global Hooks, Install Drivers/Services and Access Physical Memory.

So, the next step was to boot into the Primary snapshot and hope it works….

It did, PCC connected normally and updated.

I rebooted to the test snapshot, I copied the snapshot to a new one, rebooted into the new one and uninstalled OA, I was then able to run the PCC Update. So, OA and PCC don’t play well.

I have W2K SP4 fully patched to Aug. 2005, Trend PC-cillan 2005, Zone Alarm, Process Guard, TDS-3, Regprot, Proxomitron, BHO Demon, SpyBot S&D Teatimer, Spyware Guard, AdSubtract running within Raxcos First Defense

Jim Clements

8. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Jim,

Sorry you've had some problems - lets try and work thru some of them.

I'd recommend turning off data sharing, and set updates to manual to get around this one.

A few people have reported this - is there any pattern to which exes you have given permission to that still prompt, and did you give permission on the "Start Menu" screen or the "Startups" screen?

OA is not be playing around in the reboot time, it runs as a service. The only thing I could suggest - maybe windows was removing files in use, or some other process was going on. (I'm not ruling out OA as the cause - just saying from a technical perspective, OA isn't doing anything at this point).

No, OA doesn't hide. I'm guessing that the download was OA doing a version update check; comparing all of its files against the latest and greatest on the server. It could also have been either data sharing (if you had opted in for that).

Don't worry, those are all legitimate OA files :) I've raised the download speed issue with our hosting provider a moment ago. I thought it was just me, from Australia :(

I'll get someone to work on the internet detection routines.

Thanks Jim - Aside from the PCC issue , if I recall correctly (I have only had one coffee so far this morning) there is also a compatibility issue with Regprot and OA.

Would you be interested in installing a logging version and helping me track down the PCC problem? If so, whizz me a PM or a mail

Mike

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Jim

To answer one of our questions, I am running several programs besides Online Armor, including Process Guard, SafenSec and Regdefend. Several of these play at real low levels of the operating system, and I've never had any issues with Raxco's First Defense. In my case the data I've anchored is the My Documents area. Unless you've anchored some strange folder to share it between snapshots, the snapshots will be totally independent.

Pete

10. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Did this, all is OK now. Jim

No problems after the 'first' re-allow cycle. Jim

No problem now, just the very first reboot which was 'forced' by some unknown glitch. Jim

I guess Port Explorer just couldn't see that connection. No problem now. Jim

OK, thanks. Jim

Doesn't seem to be a problem now. Jim

OK, will do, Jim

11. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Ok - update on this - we can't reproduce the problems. Jim's PM'd me about logging and so we'll go from there :)

Mike

12. muf

muf Registered Member

I installed it. Upon reboot my system had gone into 'major slowdown' mode. My system resources had reduced from 78% to 42%. I wonder if this is a temporary slowdown/resource reduction until the application has been running a week or so. I have uninstalled it for now, but if there are assurances that this slowdown is usual for early installation then i will reinstall it and try it again.

My system.
    1ghz Athlon
    512mb ram
    Windows ME
    Startup applications - Sygate FW, NOD32, BOClean, Regrun, Cookiewall and SuperAdBlocker.

muf

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have OA on my ME partition, plus I use RegRun. With OA's latest updates installed, I had to disable RegRun in order to get my computer to startup at all. It seems that OA & RR absolutely do not want to co-exist. Moreover, OA's relationship with ME is dodgy at best (IMHO).

14. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Strange, I've had no problems with RegRun and OA at all..

15. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Maybe ME is the player then?

16. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Most likely :)

17. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Bellgamin,

ME is dodgy at best (IMHO) :D But, if you're having dramas with it, lets see if we can get it to work.

RegRun's on the todo list - can we take it to PM and I'll ask you to get me some logs, see if I can't track down the ME problems at the same time?

Mike

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Mike, I sent the PM as requested. IMHO working to attain compatability with ME is tantamount to re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. :cool:

By the way, I'll be quitting ME & moving to Vista just as soon as Vista is truly out of beta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.