NOD32 2.5 - Comments & opinions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

nod is using streams nowo_Oo_O please tell me these are not going to be like kav?? one of the reasons i dont use kav anymore!! is there a way not to use these in the new beta here. i know this is a beta but how long is it usually for eset to release the final version after releasing the beta's thanks all

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Total agreement here BigC

3. Alec

Alec Registered Member

No, as Marcos stated earlier in this thread, the new beta doesn't use streams... it's just now inspecting them if that option is selected. Streams weren't previously inspected.

4. zfactor

i did reread that sorry so far so good no problems yet. does use a little more memory on my computer though nod is using 16k now?? seems like a lot the regular version i was running was only using 8-10. it still seems fast though no lag noticed yet. i wonder why the use of key files now instead of just license codes? will nod (once this goes into production fully) give all of us current license holder a key file to enter ?? thanks all seems great so far

5. zfactor

by the way i noticed almost no difference in scanning speed at all!!

6. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Just a comment. I would like to see a pause/resume feature like Avast (for on demand at least). Other than that, all is well so far.....

7. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Can the BEST AV be better ? :D

8. zfactor

looks that way doesn't it?? :eek:

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Nice,they even added support for themed windows in all menus.
    No need for NOD32 VisualPackXP anymore hehe :) I'll have some more free space on my server now ;)

10. waters

waters Registered Member

Hi.
    I noticed on eset website it says beta available to all users.
    Is it available for testing to everybody or licenced users only.
    If all users, does it come with trial password

11. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Does this version have a faster scan. And is it a bit lightero_O

Does this version have a better detection can it find way more things the previos versions could noto_O

i don't know if to change from KAV to Nod32 (again)

12. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Maybe, when suspicious files are detected by NOD and the user agrees to send them, a progress bar of the upload/submission would be useful (or a confirmation that the files were sent).

13. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Yes everyone can test it. Yes it comes with a trial password.

Hope this helps,

Chris

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I agree...

15. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I would like to see an answer to this question very much too ;)

16. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

No, the licensing system has not changed. To update NOD32, you still need only a valid username and password. The new License manager serves only for managing license keys for NOD32 for Exchange (XMON), NOD32 for Kerio and other future products.

17. swoop

swoop Registered Member

Yo folks!

I'm on it now, and I have a few questions:
    0. Why is this thread in this forum and not in NOD32 Beta? :cool:
    1. Why is in ALL modules the "Scan all files" option activated. Don't you think it slows down the performance?
    2. Can be the "Optimize scanning" option added into other modules? Did you make some statistic research that says it is no feasible? (especially for IMON)
    3. Is there a plan to actually FIX the "Archive damaged" issue? I get "Archive damaged" message when scannin multi volume rar-archives having "new-style-name" (i.e. archive.part01.rar). The same message with some .gzip archive that can be extracted just fine...

Excellent work, though.
    Cheers

18. RejZoR_Clone

RejZoR_Clone Guest

Scan all files doesn make any difference in performance.
    Optimized scanning is limited to filesystem only. How can you optimize scanning of emails through IMON? Very hard...
    About archives,this is still beta,so there is still room for improvements.

19. spm

spm Registered Member

Settings for Max Protection

While the NOD32 2.5 beta offers some welcome new features, one of the greatest criticisms of NOD32 has always been its default settings and its accessibility for the 'average' user.

The average user - representing the great majority of users - is unable to appreciate the effect of all the settings, and is unable and unwilling to spend the time necessary to trawl through all the options available.

Now, for those who claim that NOD32's GUI interface is not complex, try taking a new NOD32 installation and count how many mouse clicks alone it takes to max everything out, not forgetting all the settings for each of the on-demand scanner's profiles (whose number is increased in the 2.5 beta). You will find there are well over 100 needed. Add to that the time it takes to understand the effect of each setting (a task that the average user couldn't hope to - and shouldn't have to - succeed at) and you have a serious issue.

Also, IMO, the average user needs the maximum protection that NOD32 will supply, and to that end NOD32's less-than-max-protection settings that it comes with out of the box are not only less than ideal, but undoubtedly curtail NOD32's market. We, for instance, baulk at recommending NOD32 for many of our home-user clients for this reason alone.

Blackspear's sticky in this forum is a helpful resource to those who come here (but the average user doesn't), and its popularity is a testament to the issue.

I implore Eset, therefore, to offer a simple, single-option, way to select from among two or three 'overall protection levels' (incl, say, minimal, default and maximum protection levels) both at install time and via the NOD32 GUI.

I have no doubt this would greatly assist a large number of users, and also add to Eset's bottom line.

Reply:
    It has been said that this will probably be possible with NOD32 3.0. Again, please do not ask for any dates.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2005
  20. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Just done an in-depth analysis - which includes a lot of archives etc - and very impressed by the speed (and of course pleased to be clean :cool: ):

Number of scanned files: 336867
    Number of viruses found: 0
    Time of completion: 10:46:58 Total scanning time: 1700 sec (00:28:20)

[Pentium 4 2.66 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM]

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Re: Settings for Max Protection

I noticed that "nod32krn.exe" is using much more CPU Time now... :(

22. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I just wondering why my Windows XP requires much more RAM than the previous Windows 98 did :-( It contains many more funcionalities, but shouldn't it be improved the way that it uses less RAM then Win98?

Just joking, but hopefully you'll get what I mean...

The CPU time the kernel service takes on my machine is between 0-2% when idle. Of course, when a scan is being performed the CPU load increases, depending on the methods used for scanning.

23. Howard

Howard Registered Member

What sort of figures are you seeing? nod32krn.exe here has currently used less than 32 seconds in more than 11 hours up time.

24. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Re: New Command-Line Params Not Working

Didn't get an answer for that one yet:

2. To update - shall we use our licence or the beta25 licence that comes up automatically

Ruben

25. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Re: New Command-Line Params Not Working

Is it normal, that the browsers start in hich compatibility mode and not in high efficiency mode?? Thought it should be the other way round

Ruben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.