Roboscan ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I hope they'l address malware detection for on-access because i've got several reports that Roboscan isn't detecting certain stuff on-access but it was detecting when doing on-demand scan.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Far from pointless because:
    It gives you the option to choose what to do when a threat is found, while Bitdefender Free doesn't, instead option to automatically delete any threats found.

Personally I refuse to use any antivirus which does not have the option of prompting what action you want to take when a threat is found. Whenever I install an antivirus and it doesn't give you this choice, I immediately uninstall it.

While I'm not currently using Roboscan, I always put usability ahead of detection rates.

Also, while I have found Bitdefender to be very light, I'm sure there will be situation where Roboscan is even lighter - this matters a lot to some people.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

It's my computer. I decide not free BitDefender.
    Not even close it's Roboscan all the way.

5. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

BitDefender free will soon get a restore function, and it's much lighter than Roboscan. It takes ages for my computer to boot up with Roboscan.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

BDAVF: It'll still be auto-quarantine without notification & non system files that are deemed "malicious" those will still be deleted?

Correct me if I'm wrong. This is the way I'm reading BD rep(s) responses. These statements still seem to be true. If the meaning is different then I politely suggest BD gets someone who speaks English natively to post responses. I say this meaning no disrespect. The BD rep(s) still come off as we know best in a placating manner.

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I find Roboscan to use less memory & cpu.

8. quanzi_1507

I never had a performance issue with Roboscan. No noticeable startup slowdown at all. Used to uninstall it to go av-free for a while but since my system didn't get any faster I re-installed it again.

Unlike BDAV Free atm, Roboscan manages to be both user-friendly, set-it-and-forget-it for novice users while still leave room for us geeky people to do advanced stuff.

It's up to personal preference then.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yup had to remove robo. it was very light at first but after a while the systems start slowing down A LOT especially boot up times.

10. nord1

nord1 Registered Member

Over time you see a signifcant slowdown of RoboScan? I don't see it here on my XP PRO SP3 system with MalwareBytesPro and ScottyOnPatrol as my other interactive defenses. Any idea why you see a slowdown?

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

no idea but for sure there. i even removed this for a few people i installed it for as a free solution who said the same thing

12. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Alyac doesn't generally "fix what isn't broken" so with that being said, the company does not upgrade products as often as many other products. What I can tell you is Alyac recently upgraded the Corporate edition to v3.0. While the consumer version is not yet at 3.0, it was updated to 2.4.

I can read Korean so I simply roamed around on the official website. :cool:

13. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

If I remember correct, I was able to kill it's process from the task manager without any problems. IF this is true...well, not good.

14. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

What good is the ability to choose to remove a threat or not if it stinks at detecting them? :D

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Well, I don't think Roboscan does that badly - although obviously not as well as Bitdefender.

I'm not currently using Roboscan, but if detection rates were a big issue to me at the time I was using it, I would have switched to something other than Bitdefender. I will never use any antivirus which does give me the choice of what action to take when a threat is found.

16. nord1

nord1 Registered Member

Thanks for the update, right now About Roboscan says the current version is 2.5.0.18

17. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

from Roboscan facebook page:
    "There will be an update within this month to 2.5.0.20. Upon this update, some bugs and typos will be fixed to improve your experience of using Roboscan!"

But is not the first time they said there is a new version coming soon and is not :'( so ... whe only have to wait

18. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Last year when I tested RoboScan, it quickly became apparent that it go for days without updating; the bottom part of this composite screenie shows a typical example. I cut off the 09/14 and most of the 09/15 data to keep the graphic small, but those ~40 were all "Already updated..."
    RSnoUpdts.gif
    The top one was grabbed today (Feb 23) from their Web site - at least 100 hours since the last update (Feb 1:cool:.

Those familiar with BitDefender and their licensees know BD barely goes for more than a few hours without spitting out an updated signature file.

IMHO, this could be the primary cause resulting in the ongoing discussions here-and-there as to why RoboScan exhibits such poor zero-day detection.

19. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

This issue has been mentioned in previous pages of this thread, however there was a couple of users that hadn't come across it, including myself at the time. I do believe it is not the reason why users are convinced that Roboscan detection is poor. Personally, I do not log in every morning to hunt for malware so I would still use Roboscan. Can't you tell Roboscan does fine in professional AV testing?

By the way, who still remembers the failed product ZenOK? It used the BD engine and supposedly had nearly the same problem with detection. I simply thought it was engine-related.

20. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Good enough for me.

21. quanzi_1507

Nah.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2192412&postcount=1142

Even their Bitdefender Free Antivirus suffers from this updating problem (a whole 3 days in this case). Maybe they use a different update server for their free product and other products that use their engines, since there was no problem with the paid version of Bitdefender.

22. anon

anon Registered Member

23. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

I have shot this pic 2 weeks ago

compared Robo Engine to BD AV 2013 engine that I have in my 2 pc (now my BD try time is ended) and Robo use a older engine, more or less 2 day delay. Sometimes Robo have the same engine but this appens rarely.
    Plus Robo default (and VB test it at default) has heuristic detection disabled
    This 2 thing IMHO are reason why Robo can't reach BD test results

Attached Files:

• Robo.jpg
      Robo.jpg
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
  24. anon

anon Registered Member

a) The above mentioned reasons IMHO can't explain the gap between BD -Robo, it's too big.
    And it's bigger on Reactive and smaller on Proactive detection......

b) The 2 days delay IMHO didn't affect the rap test.
    Re-read the rap test procedures=
    The RAP tests are run according to the following procedures:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  25. nord1

nord1 Registered Member

Thanks, I am looking forward to what they might offer in the update. For my purposes, I have disabled the builtin firewall and went to 6.5.1 OutPost Firewall (free version). Small enough footprint and the combo seems to be working well. Wonder if anyone else has gone for a standalone firewall with Roboscan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.