Macrium Reflect Features

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Gorkster, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Not in Shadow Mode. I used Easus Partition Manager, I just had to turn * into a NEW Partition, and then I could merge into C:.

So KOR my dear friend, here is the new Disk Managment:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ntfm90.jpg

What you think? :) Did I do good?:)

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Excellent my dearest friend,

Now do you need the "C' drive to be that BIG! I believe the maximum you will ever need with your games on it is 80GB.

What do you think?

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Agreed. But I have so much free space on my G: and an external USB hard drive, that it doesn't bother me. Is it OK to leave C: so big seeing I don't need the space for anything else?

BY the way KOR, I should delete all the Macrium images I created before removing SYSTEM? They won't work now will they and may ruin my boot if I attempt to restore them?

4. aladdin

In my all computers as in my daughter's computer too, I have moved all the "USER DATA" from Drive C Partition, to Drive Z Partition. Read properly the last image I have posted in two different threads on my daughter's computer.

Very true!

Best regards,

KOR!

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

My entire USERS folder is only 180MB, so why bother?

6. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Yes. I have the same VSS problem and Macrium Reflect creates images just fine. When your VSS is not functioning properly, their own version of VSS, which is included with the program, takes over. I can't remember what they call their version, but it works. By the way, I use the Pro version, but I assume the same is true with the Free version.

7. molitar

molitar Registered Member

Question.. What are the actual difference in the Custom Rescue CD vs Win PE? I have tried to see the actual differences but the website is awful to navigate.. it's just not easy to find out if there is any reason to use the standard Win PE vs the WAIK.

8. aladdin

I believe you are talking about Macrium Reflect. The Custom Rescue WinPE CD is which you create with Macrium Reflect FREE and WAIK has the options which comes with the Macrium Reflect FREE. The WinPE which they give you with the Macrium Reflect PAID PRO comes with the options which comes with the Macrium Reflect PAID PRO.

Here is the comparison between different versions of Macrium Reflect:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

The WinPE will contain the same feature as shown in the comparison chart. Microsoft charges them Royalty for the WinPE, and therefore for FREE version they don't give you WinPE and you have to built it yourself with WAIK and the plugins they provide you in the FREE version.

Best regards,

9. molitar

But the question is.. is their any difference in the Win PE to WAIK recovery cd? Or is it the same thing just one you make yourself? The only thing the manual says is it's custom the WAIK but it does not say anything about the actual difference in the two.

10. aladdin

What is WAIK?

WAIK is "Windows Automated Installation Kit". Microsoft calls it,"Windows AIK".

To build any WinPE (Windows Pre-installation Environment), one needs two ingredients.

1. WAIK.
    2. Either Macrium Reflect FREE or PAID PRO.

Once build the WinPE FREE version will have the same options as it is in Windows. And the WinE PIAD PRO version will have the same options as it is in Windows.

Best regards,

11. molitar

Ok thanks.. so no difference than WAIK is that you download a 1.7GB file to create it. That was what I was trying to find out because I was reading you get 1 download per license and could not figure out if it had anything extra in it or not.

12. aladdin

You are welcome!

The reason they give you 1 download with their PRO PAID version is that Microsoft charges them royalty for it. Any updates to Macrium Reflect PAID PRO version they will give you the patch for this download to create a new WinPE ISO/DVD/CD and Boot Recovery. I believe Microsoft charges them $20 for this.

For Free version they give you the plugins for the Free version and you have to built your own WinPE with WIAK, therefore they don't have to pay the royalty to Microsoft for it.

For the paid version of IFW, you get the plugins and you have to build your own WinPE with WIAK. IFW being sold for about $33, it is hard for them to give $20 to Microsoft.

Best regards,

13. aladdin

Yes, the extra in it is what is in the PAID PRO version and what is not in the FREE version. One such example would be incremental/differential imaging, which is in PAID PRO version and not in FREE version.

Best regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.