Macrium Reflect Features

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Gorkster, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

2. Gorkster

Gorkster Registered Member

I don't think VSS or PSSNAP.SYS (or similar) are used at all in cold imaging - these types of "programs" are used to image file systems (files) in use. In cold imaging the file system on the hard drive is not in use, so this special consideration can be omitted. And since VSS is the program which causes imaging programs to skip restore points, that would be why they are not omitted during cold imaging. At least the way I understand it...

EDIT:
    Thanks! I've never done business through bitsdujour before so was a bit hesitant. But I just contacted Macrium directly and was advised the deal is valid, and the software is the same you'd get if you bought it from them in the normal "direct" fashion. I'll be watching this site for the deal to become active and for $26 instead of $60? I've been waiting for a deal to come up, so I'M IN!

Again, thank you for sharing your find...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I have tried that but to no avail.

4. Gorkster

For those waiting for this, the deal is available as of this morning: $24 (regular price is $60). I purchased and just finished downloading my copy. Yeah, buh bye Acronis!

5. 2YsUR

2YsUR Registered Member

Thanks for the update. Great deal. I just made my purchase!:)

6. 2YsUR

2YsUR Registered Member

The Pro version is on sale Today Only for about $24. This version allows incremental backs so your idea to use Macrium as a substitute for Rollback Rx becomes even more interesting as the incremental backup should be relatively quick although I have not yet tried it.

7. Niagara73

Niagara73 Registered Member

Can you tell me if the Pro version comes with WinPE 3.0 support as CD or creation of a Windows 7 Boot CD with RAID support ?
    Thanks
    Edit* Sorry, I found the answer in a link into the first post of the topic.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  8. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I was waiting for this, just purchased and installed with no problems, thanks for the heads-up Gorkster, and for checking with Macrium. I switched from Acronis paid to Macrium free about a year ago, it will be nice to have the extra features in the Macrium Reflect Pro version.

9. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Cool!:) :thumb:

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Can you please tell me how quick the incremental backups are? If fast, then MR paid version could replace programs such as Rollback RX etc.

11. Gorkster

I've only tested incremental backups on a VMware install, with very few installed programs, and on WinXP-32. But the incremental on the system drive with, say, 10 extra programs installed took less than 10 mins. I know, not exactly a true representation of what you're probably looking for, but it's the best I can do.

I haven't installed the Reflect I just bought for my main computer yet - I need to go through the HELL of properly removing Acronis True Image 2011 first... /sigh

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  12. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

It only takes me 10 mins to do a complete FULL backup with Macrium. I wonder how fast incremental would be.

13. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

As I already mentioned they are very fast to create. They are one of the best features of macrium. However, they will still not replace Rollback rx as although they are fast to create, the restore still takes as much time as it would take to create a full backup on that partition.

Keep in mind that the fastest incrementals on the market are created by Shadowprotect, but Shadowprotect tracks your changes in realtime, so has processes running continuously on your system. Macrium does not track changes in realtime so has no processes running, even then its incrementals are lightning fast.

Last thing, the speed of incrementals depends on the changes since the last backup, so if there are a lot of changes, then it will take longer to create the incremental.

14. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Since this thread is discussing the features of Macrium, I just wanted to mention that one of the best features of Macrium is that if you ever need support, and you go to the forum or contact Macrium directly, a guy called Nick will most likely answer you questions. This Nick is the CEO of Macrium, so if he tells you something will be fixed or some feature will be added, you can then rest easy that it will be done, as it comes directly from the horse's mouth.

I have never encountered a product where the CEO himself answers and solves customers problems. Compare this with Paragon's official support forum, where you should consider yourself extremely lucky if someone from Paragon even bothers to acknowledge that he has read your post.

15. Gorkster

He has very patiently answered a TON of my pre-purchase questions. I very carefully weighed many options before deciding to go with Reflect, and since they don't have a huge 200 pg manual like most of the others I asked many questions. Though I worry about how long it will last if they continue to grow, their current customer service is outstanding. So I second what you're saying here.

I just finished my last clone using True Image 2011 and am running my last "files" backup. I hope I can stay up late enough to uninstall the software and install/set up Macrium. But I'm getting very sleepy... And properly uninstalling True Image is a nightmare. I'll be following three different guides while using Acronis' own cleanup utility then manually combing through the registry and deleting leftover files.

@TheMozart
    If/when I get this installed on my Win7-64 system I'll give you some numbers with regard to full and incremental time. I'll be imaging about 420GB over three different volumes.

16. 2YsUR

2YsUR Registered Member

You can always give the trial version a spin:)

17. 2YsUR

2YsUR Registered Member

My two inquires to customer support were both answered within an hour or two. My posts to their forums were also answered by company reps in about the same amount of time. The reps seemed knowledgeable and the answers were direct to the point.:cool:

18. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

It of course depends somewhat on your specs, but for me (SSD) a full windows 7 backup takes 7 minutes and a incremental 49 seconds. But I guess the latter depends on how much new data there is?

19. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Thank you RAZA for information on Nick, I just got FOUR PRO Licenses for FREE!

I wrote to him and explained him my situation and he gave me for FREE!

Best regards,

KOR!

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Great. Congrats. Nick is good. :)

21. aladdin

Thanks my dear ams963!

Best regards,

KOR!

22. 2YsUR

2YsUR Registered Member

Twenty-four hours ago I did a full backup using Macrium. I have a four year old xp/32 sp3 machine with 2GB ram and a 230GB Hard Drive containing 37.73 GB of data. The full backup took 30 minutes and created a backup file of 24GB (normal compression).

I just completed an incremental backup that took 11 minutes on 37.79 GB of data creating a backup file of 605MB.

The software is very easy to use.:) :thumb:

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Who is Mohammed? is KOR's real name Mohammed?:blink:

And how did he get 4 PRO licenses for free? What's the secret? lol

KOR must be a nice person to get 4 free licenses hehe :)

24. 2YsUR

2YsUR Registered Member

If you look at KOR's public profile you will see that he is in Oman.

25. aladdin

Very true! And, King of Rapture is in honor of Prince of Peace, Jesus (Shalom on him)!

Best regards,

KOR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.