Sorry, Facebook haters: It's not going anywhere

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Please, explain exactly what is missing in the privacy controls. You can even hide your friends list from your friends!!

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Anyone using Facebook looking for privacy doesn't have to look far. Their privacy tools are pretty good.

I think the issue is that you don't have to be a Facebook member for them to track you. With their 'like' buttons on every other page they see users and non-users alike.

Using Facebook is a choice but being tracked by them doesn't really feel like one. That's why I block the like buttons.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Exactly, Facebook and its ilk have become so embedded in everything, you half feel like you should just join them in order to be left alone.

@SirPeter: What's good enough and what isn't will be different between people. The controls aren't perfect, and they never will be, otherwise Facebook would cease to exist.

4. guest

guest Guest

Please define what's exactly bad in FB's privacy controls.

Most people don't bother to mess with these controls, so they can be great and that won't hurt Facebook in any relevant way.

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

My apologies if already posted...

Andrew Keen's 'Digital Vertigo'

Andrew Keen on Why We Should Fear the Facebook Hype

Opinion: Facebook threatens to 'Zuck up' the human race

6. guest

guest Guest

You can find similar arguments against pretty much every "modern" invention, even AGRICULTURE. Look no further than this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-primitivism

All bs of course. Different people use the tools differently. And the world has never been so populated by humans.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've never used Facebook & never intend to. Besides, I spend way too much time on Wilders, so I haven't got time for Facebook as well. :D

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't own a FB account but i do use others account. ;)
    I find it very handy when i need to know what my buds are up to. :D :D

9. tgell

tgell Registered Member

The only reason I use facebook is for the freebies. And I use bogus profile information to boot. :D

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What's wrong with just asking them? :D Or do you like playing Sherlock Holmes? :p

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

dont use facebook NEVER will. anyone who believes facebook is totally private and safe should look around a bit more. every day accounts are hacked and or unlocked to get private info its not very hard and their security is not very good. i feel the same about twitter also. and to be honest anyone who has to post what they are doing every minute of the day imo has issues. the ONLY thing i can see facebook for is keeping in touch with family etc with thoe members who may be out of range etc.. otherwise you can take facebook and shut it down for all i care (sorry i hate facebook)

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't hate the company, I hate what it has done to the web. And yeah, I know a few of those folks who are seemingly chained to Facebook. They spend more time posting what they're doing than actually doing what they're posting about. Annoys the hell out of me when I'm around them.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

These people are missing out on life.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Anybody here use a home phone and have their number listed in the phonebook?

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Raises hand.

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I use a home phone, but I'm not listed.

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Same here.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Have ever subscribed to a magazine, had a telephone, bought a car, bought a house, used cable/satellite television, used a credit card, have a drivers license?

Google probably already knows this. Long before Facebook most likely.

Companies sell information to each other. Long before the Internet.

21. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Neither my home phone or mobile are listed. Yet people from the Indian sub-continent still occasionally try to scam me or sell me crap I don't want. Don't even get me started about Orange/T-Mobile!

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Would you mind starting a new thread with specifics?

Site (not the cat loving cheeseburgers one, please)
    Social stuff / trackers blocked (ga, g+, fb, twitter, etc)
    Browser
    How is the blocking done (NoScript, AdBlock, hosts file, etc)
    What exactly happens = "won't work properly"

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Auto dialers at work. Big problem in the U.S. as well.

Computer users, young or old, should learn to protect their remaining privacy as best they can.

Any social site should be upfront and require users to read their privacy policy before joining.

Social sites are here to stay.

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I completely get your point, and you're right, data selling is nothing new. However, up until the internet, hackers halfway across the world weren't scouring for/stealing your information. Nobody was hijacking links, nobody was serving up trojans in the form of a little web game. Nobody was tracking you everywhere you went, and I could go on.

Sure, you had dumpster divers, still do, but the difference was that they couldn't sort through your trash while sitting at a desk in Shanghai.

Edit: I disagree that the social craze is here to stay. For one thing, it isn't as big as it seems, when you take fake accounts, abandoned accounts, etc into consideration. Facebook has slowed, Twitter is now slowing, G+ is barely in the picture, and so on. Eventually you reach a point where those who want to use it already are, and those who don't probably never will. There are also reports scattered about talking about how many who do use them are beginning to feel like they've shared enough.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  25. guest

guest Guest

This is a good suggestion, please dw, follow it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.