Sorry, Facebook haters: It's not going anywhere

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GODFATHA

GODFATHA Registered Member

Actually thats what Skype is for. Facebook is good for games and to upload pictures. Thats why they bought Instagram. They know the power of pictures.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Skype has a lot more uses than just keeping in touch with your cousins in Melbourne.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, that is what Skype and Facebook are for. As far as buying Instagram, be assured Mark won't be just buying whatever he feels like without telling anyone again.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

My colleague at work fails all the time, because he refuses to have a FB, so he has no idea what is going on at work, between friends and such, he is allways outdated. :rolleyes:
    I consider a FB and an email client to be a necessity these days, if you want to keep in touch with friends and family, to get the latest news about your interests and such.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I consider Facebook a necessary evil assuming you can secure the account sufficiently without getting infected or compromised.
    Some tips from ESET how. I share much security information with my colleagues there.

6. Daveski17

No, I'll never use FB. I don't get out of the loop with anything that is going on that is important to me.

7. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

I tend to see more people leaving it then staying, a lot of my social circles have simply gone to google chat and hangouts. That is the great and bad thing about social media, it serves a purpose, but the community is fickle and what is great one day is old news the next. Which is also why I feel it is a poor long term investment to buy into companies that focus on social media only for a business plan.

8. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Morgan Stanley cut Facebook view pre-IPO

Article

Looks like another case of the retail investor holding the bag.

Update

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It seems that FB was priced a few multiples higher than Apple or Google based on historic and forward P/E.

10. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I take these analysts with a grain of salt. If he is a so-called expert, and he quotes the stock as going to $44 in a year, other analysts would also have this same information and the stock would already be priced at $44. If not, nobody is going to know what FB is going to be next week let alone a year.

11. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Shares of Facebook Inc. tumbled again on Tuesday as it began its third full day of trading, prompting one analyst to call the stock a “falling knife” even as he maintained an upbeat view of the company.

Facebook’s FB -2.97% shares dropped about 5% to $32.50 in late-morning trade, after shedding 11% on Monday. The stock is now down about 14% from its IPO price of $38. Facebook debuted on Friday, closing with a 23 cent gain on its first day.
    One analyst with a buy rating on the stock called Facebook “a textbook case of a broken IPO.”

“The institutional buyers don’t want to be left holding the stock as it slides, and individuals aren’t knowledgeable enough about the company to step in and catch a falling knife,” Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter said in emailed comments.
    MarketWatch.com link

From the same site, also this upbeat article; 'How Facebook could destroy the U.S. economy' link

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And the analyst should be knowing this: "There are 1.7 billion shares of Facebook currently sitting on the sidelines. The biggest chunk of those shares, 1.2 billion of them, will be released from their lock-up provisions in 177 days. That’s in November and is a pretty standard lock-up period for an IPO. The first slab of 271 million insider and principal shareholders stock will be available for sale in 86 days, an unusually short lock-up period."
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanv...book-insiders-an-excruciating-wait-has-begun/

13. Daveski17

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Personally i find FB kinda interesting and its quite handy sometimes. :D

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404771,00.asp

"Massachusetts regulators on Tuesday issued a subpoena to Morgan Stanley, the lead underwriter for Facebook's initial public offering, in an effort to get answers about reports that some investors and not others were informed of earnings revisions for the company ahead of the IPO. "

A bit more detail here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/23/us-usa-markets-facebook-idUSBRE84L0PE20120523

Original source for PCMag article:http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/22/us-facebook-galvin-idUSBRE84L1BS20120522

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If the bit about selective dissemination of information is true, there will be consequences. Peanuts for the biggies of Wall Street but I wonder how the small investors will be compensated.

17. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I deleted my Facebook account and haven't missed it one bit. I have noticed, that since I deleted my account, I'm more productive.

No Facebook for 2 years :thumb:

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

This sort of thing isn't rare, but Facebook was an insanely major deal, so "funny stuff" will be much harder to get away with.

19. Ryanfirst

Ryanfirst Registered Member

I do not like facebook. It contains a lot of ads and spam.
    malicous links are also spread by facebook chat.

:cautious:

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You can say that for a good portion of the web though. Social media malware is just the hot thing because social media is the hot thing. It's also where mountains of data is to be had, and where data is, there is profit to be made.

21. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

22. jitte

jitte Registered Member

That kind of doom is usually relegated to GodlikeProductions, along with such subjects such as Comet Elenin.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

With so much talk about suckers, there's this:
    http://www.theweek.co.uk/technology...eve-wozniak-will-buy-facebook-stock-any-price

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Coming back to the article cited in the OP:
    No doubt, the author by now has understood who was offering stock to the public and why.

25. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.