Death to Office or to Windows - choose wisely, Microsoft

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Just go to Slashdot if you want to see arrogance. Read the security threads. Any human being who doesn't know to protect itself from spam, phishing, worms and other bad things is a moron.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, that would be because I'm not using Linux? Whenever I tried to move to it, years ago, when I was still using Windows 98, I went straight back to Windows 98.

At the time, I didn't even bother looking for help to have something work, when I could have it working out-of-the-box with Windows. :D

Granted, I doubt every advanced Linux user is arrogant. But, for sure there are a few who probably also got that kind of arrogant treatment, when they were new to the Linux world. They now do the same to others who are just seeking out for help.

That's where the difference lies with Microsoft support. They don't get to be arrogant, mostly and most likely due to the company's policies.

Hopefully, if I ever decided to try Linux again - there's been a few years :D I won't face with such people, and will have the luck to be helped by some who's actually willing to offer such help.

Sometimes, all it takes to show arrogance, is a simple Use Google or something like that. Don't they realize that maybe, just maybe, people seeking out for help, did it so, but simply didn't know where to start?

This little aspects make all the difference. Maybe for you, an answer like that isn't arrogance, but for someone new to the Linux world is.

3. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Imagine two average users: people who use the computer mostly to access the internet (e-mails, news, blogs, social-networks,chat, etc.) see movies, listen to music, etc.

The first one have Windows installed and the second have Linux. After one month or two, the first user will most likely have the computer infected, lots of toolbars, unnecessary startup items, fragmented disk... unless he's a Wilders addicted:) The second one will be able to access the internet and do all those common tasks without problems, faster and without infections, because about 99% of virus, spyware and scareware target Windows, and also because Linux doesn't need defragmentation.

What about support?
    Who is the average Joe who tries to get support from Windows when having any problem? I don't know any. Most folks try to find answers in "google", in the "geek" friend or familiar, or in a computer repair shop. I must say that, for instance, the support in Ubuntu forums is awesome. Post your question and in about 5 minutes someone will try to help.

The question i more listen everyday is "How did i get infected if i have a AV?".
    And the costumer computer is always filled with virus, spyware, toolbars, scareware... and i'm sure that in about one month or two that same costumer will once again have the computer in that same state. The only alternative is education and a layered defense (and people simple don't understand or care to understand, and they will return later complaining if you install any other layers in addition to the AV), or switch and get used to Linux: not has "hard" as most people say without even try it, or without trying it for more than 1 day or 2, free, lots of free software in the repositories, and practically immune to virus.

4. guest

guest Guest

I doubt that. You are generalizing. Most Windows installations are not infected although a big portion has been or is. As for toolbars, startup items and fragmentation - latest Windows have various methods that, in most cases, reduce or eliminate such issues.

No. It's more likely that he will:
    • feel a sense of unfamiliarity with the poorly designed or simply weird GUI;
    • experience various bugs/errors because he will not know how to install the correct apps and will not like the "alternatives" (or, in some cases, will not find any real alternatives);
    • and finally, when he or she or the kids want to play a game (pick any really popular title) everybody will complain.
    Not even talking about problems that may arise with buggy alternative apps, lacking or buggy drivers, etc.

Folks have much more ways to get support when using Windows, including contacting the various official Microsoft channels - and many do that.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, this hits the nail squarely on the head... :)

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Windows is the prime target for malware. Windows getting infected is the reason sites like Wilders exists, is the the reason hundreds of AV companies exists, is the reason many people have a job... I would dare to say that MOST Windows installations do have some kind of malware installed.

Why to reduce or eliminate, when is simply possible to avoid the problem from the start? Anyway, most people simply don't know how to use those methods, or, even better, simply don't know to relate the problems with those causes. Windows being slow and bogus, is the reason hundreds of companies sale "optimization" software to tweak and make windows "faster", to correct all kind of errors and the reason why many people are convinced to install scareware that make those promisses. In Linux world that kind of software practically doesn't exist, simply because it isn't needed.

..."sense of unfamiliarity", "weird GUI", "not know how to install the correct apps", "not like the "alternatives"...

All of those impressions are natural when changing and learning something diferent. Don't like Gnome? What about Unity, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Enlightement... With Windows you don't have a choice.
    Once you learn,is much easier and safer to install new apps and keep the system updated in Linux than it is on Windows.

Want to play a really popular game? Use dual-boot. Keep a small installation of Windows only for games.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Most people, or the average user, won't want to take the time to learn anything new. Most will just stick with Windows. A move to Linux has to be very very easy and very very trouble free to make it worthwhile for the masses to change. There also needs to be a pretty good reason to change, which I grant you, there are good reasons, the best of which is freedom from malware.

I have personally played with and used Linux for over 5 years now, and I have wanted desperately to like it and switch over, trying distro after distro, time and time again with each new release. But in the end, I return to Windows, and I can tell you why. One main and very important reason:

Linux is just too buggy, generally speaking. I don't think I can put it any simpler and still be kind....

For those who want to use it, and take the time to deal with all the various issues, that's fine. Have at it, and best wishes to you. But it will never catch on with the general public. That is something you need to realize...

8. guest

guest Guest

That's the consequence of being a popular platform, you get targeted, many of your users are totally ignorant to the computing dangers, etc. Linux isn't invulnerable against malware and crackers, it's just not targeted in the home arena because there are virtually no home Linux users (aside from geeks).

Is it? Is it possible to deny software companies the right to bundle adwares/toolbars with their apps and/or deny software companies the right to initialize their apps on the startup? And is it possible to deny users the right to install such apps?
    Well Microsoft is trying something similar with the upcoming Windows Store on W8 and we are already seeing many complaints.
    Again, we could only do a fair comparison on the prevalence of such issues if Linux happened to be a popular home platform, which it simply isn't.

Simply because there are no users to buy them, simply because there are no hundreds of alternative apps available, simply because there are no hundreds of software companies bundling junk with their software to earn money. The comparison is just not fair, try again when Linux has a considerable market share of homes.

Never heard of deskmod? Do a small research on "deskmod" and face the fact that with Windows you have many choices of customizing the GUI - professional ones.

Because there are fewer choices! For example, is there a " PortableApps.com " for Linux? I don't think so.

No thanks, I will not reboot my system everytime I want to browse a site or edit a document or do a research on some interesting topic, for example.

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i tried Bodhi Linux for a full 3 solid months not too long ago and loved it.
    only problems i had is i needed to reset my default soundcard after reboot.
    and also had problems with Sleep/Hybernate.
    that one seems to be a problem i often hear associated with Linux.

i loved the GUI and was able to find very good alternatives to Windows software.
    Linux felt 'snappier' and faster than Windows, and i felt more secure using it than Windows.

trying to fix the problems above felt way above my capabilities though.

i'll probably try Linux again once or twice a year just to keep and eye on the development

10. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Yes, Windows is popular and targeted. Linux isn't popular and isn't targeted. You're right.

No, it isn't. Is possible avoid the problem from the start by choosing Linux though. Linux isn't popular, Linux doesn't have such problems: you're right.

You're right: Linux is free, and there aren't hundreds of software companies bundling junk for it to earn money. Yes, the comparison is just not fair.

No, thanks for the heads up. Also in Linux. professional is not necessarily = to competent.

Why would i need a portable app if i can have a portable S.O? I can take my Puppy *puppy* (see sig) or a Linux live CD/USB for a walk anywhere i need...

Depends on what are the user priorities. Personally, if i were a gamer, i would prefer to benefit from a fast, stable and secure Linux for everyday activities; and from Windows to play really popular games, even if for that i have to wait 2 minutes for a reboot (much less time and effort that is needed takes to care about all Windows annoyances...)

11. guest

guest Guest

You fail to see what are the benefits of using Portable Apps. For example, can you restart computers anywhere you are to boot your Live CD/USB? I don't think so. In most schools and lan houses, for example, you simply can't. But you can plug a pendrive in pretty much every computer with Windows out there and use apps from PortableApps.com which do not require admin rights and special runtimes - they just work.

You would still have to take care of your Windows OS on such setup. A reasonable gamer wouldn't want to play online with a vulnerable system. So it's better for a gamer to just maintain his Windows OS and do everything on it. It's not hard on latest Windows versions, the "Action Center" feature makes Windows' maintenance a very easy task - and automatic too. And if he wants some security though minority like the one that Linux provides, he can setup a limited user account in his Windows OS. Most malwares require elevated privileges to run. Not even talking about the myriads of other easy methods to secure Windows that a gamer can implement, as this forum is dedicated to these methods and you can read its threads.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I've tried to make Linux (Ubuntu specifically) my main day to day OS many times before but i always end up running back to Windows.

You may wonder why . . . Well most of the times it's because as soon as i do something different such as installing apps or test software i need to bring up the CMD (I said CMD because i don't know what it is called in Ubuntu Hahahaha i forgot it but i'm pretty sure you guys know what i'm talking about ;)) and i find it hella hard to memorize or get used to all those commands. :rolleyes:

13. guest

guest Guest

It's called terminal, ;) I too use Ubuntu (via Wubi) sometimes, just for the fun of "experimenting" a different OS.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Oh yeah Terminaaaal! :D

15. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I just talked to a costumer who got the computer infected with "Internet Security" rogue, need the computer to her work, and right know don´t have the money to pay for the service. I thought about tell her not to worry because the "the Action Center feature makes Windows' maintenance a very easy task - and automatic too." :D

Anyway in the end is just a matter of choice. I like Linux for everyday use, and i like Windows for gaming, Office and test software (mostly software to remove malware and repair windows, sorry :D) thats why i use them both :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.