Downloaded file is damaged...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rdsu, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tojo

Tojo Registered Member

Hello,
    I am a NOD32 user and have been having the same problems getting updates, but I finally found a solution.
    I am with Optus Cable in Australia.
    I tried to contact the Australian support people in Queensland without success (they don't even show an email address for correspondence!).

Up until to-day I was getting these errors:

========================================================
    2004/04/24 10:12:12 Update Function: gethostbyname, parameters: , return value: 11001
    2004/04/24 10:12:12 Update Update attempt failed (Server connection failure.)
    2004/04/24 10:12:11 Update Error connecting to server www.nod32.com.
    2004/04/24 10:11:50 Update Error connecting to server u1.eset.com.
    2004/04/24 10:11:29 Update Error connecting to server u2.eset.com.
    2004/04/24 10:11:08 Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com.
    2004/04/24 10:10:48 Update Error connecting to server u4.eset.com.
    2004/04/24 10:00:32 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/04/24 9:24:04 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/04/17 10:00:46 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/04/16 10:00:43 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/04/14 10:39:08 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/04/14 10:00:41 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/04/09 10:00:19 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/04/05 10:00:40 Update Function: gethostbyname, parameters: , return value: 11001
    2004/04/05 10:00:40 Update Update attempt failed (Server connection failure.)
    2004/04/05 10:00:38 Update Error connecting to server www.nod32.com.
    2004/04/05 10:00:36 Update Error connecting to server u2.eset.com.
    2004/04/05 10:00:35 Update Error connecting to server u4.eset.com.
    2004/04/05 10:00:33 Update Error connecting to server u1.eset.com.
    2004/04/05 10:00:33 Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com.
    2004/04/04 10:00:38 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/04/03 10:00:32 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/03/28 6:44:14 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/03/26 9:00:57 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/03/21 9:00:09 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/03/20 9:32:19 Kernel The virus signature database has been updated successfully to version 1.682 (20040319).
    =======================================================

HOWEVER, after reading this forum I simply ran the trace route function on ESET's various Servers (there must be a reason for providing more than one don't you think?) and found the one that had the lowest no. of steps and latency.
    I then changed to that Server and got an initial failure but then a successful download see below:

2004/04/27 9:52:25 Kernel The virus signature database has been updated successfully to version 1.737 (20040426).
    2004/04/27 9:51:28 Update Update attempt failed (Downloaded file is damaged.)
    2004/04/24 10:12:12 Update Function: gethostbyname, parameters: , return value: 11001

I commend this solution to you, or else why not take advantage of Angelo Lopes' solution via another proxy?

Further, to answer the question of whether there is a problem that requires a response from ESET, my opinion is that there definitely needs to be a change in the update software to make it more robust.
    I believe that repeated failures such as reported here are unacceptable because users expect to be told when something is not functioning.
    We should not be expected to view the event log to see if we are up to date.
    A popup window with the update failure, number of Servers contacted, retry count (does it retry the same Server?) and failure type would be a more professional approach.

What do you guys think?

PS
    What does "Return Value 11001" mean? Anyone? Come on ESET, lift your game!

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that you are right, Tojo.

I like this antivirus, but this problem is very anoying...

3. Spoonfed

Spoonfed Guest

If they don't rectify the issue and "claim" to have updates, if they simply don't work i guess one is entitled to a full refund?

The is the ONLY issue i see with NOD32, why don't they want to find a solution. Using a 3rd party free proxy that may "Vanish" at any time is not a good option for virus security.

At minium as suggested by others, NOD should setup its own proxy (passworded if need be) and offer a "config" option on install.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

One more time, I ask for the developers of NOD32 fix this problem!

I tested most of Antivirus and this only happen with NOD32.

I just want to install the Aantivirus and "FORGET IT"....

I'm to tired of this... :'(

5. angelo_lopes

angelo_lopes Registered Member

Long ago I sent ESET the contacts of the Portuguese "netcable" company as per their request.
    I don't know if ESET contacted them or fixed this problem.
    I read in new posts ESET goes on not answering e-mails.
    The only e-mails I received from ESET (even from Anton!) were to apologize for not answering because they had Cebit...
    C'mon ESET. To update AV software is TOP PRIORITY!!!
    I am refraining from advice more people to switch to NOD!!!

6. ihelpkids

ihelpkids Registered Member

I am having the same problem: "Error Occured While Updating Program Modules (Cannot replace current file)."

I e-mailed tech support. They told me to uninstall/reinstall; which I did. This did not fix the problem.

I am a user in the USA. I use a standard cable internet hookup from the largest provider in the Southwest (Cox). I really like NOD, but I can't leave my computer unprotected.

David

7. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi Angelo and the people with the "Downloaded file is damaged" problem,

sorry for the troubles - we have contacted Netcabo with no response from them - so we tried to set no-cache settings on our server u3.eset.com - pls. try to update from that server to see if it helped.

Thanx, :)

jan

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

For those having the problem Error updating program modules, please make sure the TMP and TEMP system variables (in the lower pane) in System properties are defined and the directories they point to actually exist on the disk and you are permitted to write into them.

Attached Files:

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Until now it works, but I've to test it on my home too.
    Thanks jan ;)

See this image:

http://student.dei.uc.pt/~umbelino/lixo/environment_variables.png

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I uninstall the NOD32 and after install it again, and this settings only works if I've the lastest updates of NOD32...

But now it works fine...

11. angelo_lopes

No chance with u3.eset.com :( :( :oops:
    System variables are correct. They are the default! Do you think sooo much people with this same problem is changing settings like those system variables?

This friend's computer updated last time 20040404, 51 days ago! Now I set it up the free proxy and it updated immediately!

What is the difference between updating through a proxy who knows where it is, and to update through eg u3.eset.com?

Attached Files:

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Today the u3.eset.com doesn't work...

So this solution isn't good... :(

13. jan

Hi Angelo, VaMPiRiC_CRoW,

we tried our best from our side - we have also sent the mail below to cliente@netcabo.pt on March 29, 2004. We had a more phone calls with them - still no response. Maybe we need to push harder. If anybody has a better contact to the Netcabo - he can contact them.

jan

---------------------
    Dear ISP representative,

I hope you can understand and write English - or somebody can translate it for you into Portuguese if needed.

If this problem shold be addressed to a different contact - please forward it as appropriate.

ESET is a software company producing the Anti-virus program NOD32 - that has earned many prestigious Virus Bulletin awards.

THE ISSUE (summary):
    -----------------------------------

We've got many reports from our Protuguese customers that they can not update our anti-virus program NOD32 when connected to our update servers through your ( NetCabo ) ISP services.

When trying to update NOD32 this way, they get an error message "Downloaded file is damaged".

We wonder why is this happening. We don't have such issues with other ISPs worldwide (just one exception - OptusNet in Australia).

More information about this problem is below.

THE CUSTOMER NEEDS:
    ----------------------------------------

There are many ours (and of course also yours) customers that are updating NOD32 throgh your ISP Services and we would like to solve this problem for them - your feedback is welcomed. If we could change something at our side, if needed - we will do our best to do it. We would also appreciate if you can help from your side, if needed.

THE ISSUE (details):
    -----------------------------------

NOD32 is using standard HTTP 1.0 (with "basic" user authentification) protocol for downloading update files. If the update files are downloaded directly from our update servers, the "Downloaded file is damaged" error occurs. This means, the file is either modified, or it's not completely downloaded (transfer is interruped during download of the file). This problem does not occur, when some 3rd party proxy server is used (for example some free web-proxies). We need to know, if you are modifying HTTP traffic made through your connection, or if you have any idea, what might be causing that problems.

I think the best way how to find a cause would be to try to update through your ISP services by yourself. You can download e.g. NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP
    with a temporary :

username: XXXXXXXXXX (changed for Wilders)
    password: XXXXXXXXXX
    valid until: June 6, 2004

http://www.nod32.com/download/download.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may have got a similar report from our Portuguese reseller Angelo Lopes da Silva .

As above mentioned: This problem does not occur, when some 3rd party proxy server is used (for example some free web-proxies)

If you are interested about the history of the problem - it's described on our public forum at:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=39;action=display;threadid=21528;start=0

Thank you for your understanding and for the quick response in advance.

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi jan,

I sent an email for NetCabo, and I'm waiting for a reply...

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

jan, did you received some email from NetCabo when you sent your email?

I received an auto email that say that they will see the email and reply me...

I hope so...

16. jan

Hi VaMPiRiC_CRoW,

>jan, did you received some email from NetCabo when you sent your email?

No I did not received a reply, but they have told me via phone that they have received it.

I don't know, if you are thier client - they should be pushed by their clients.

Cheers,

jan

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes, I'm a client, but I don't sent the email from my NetCabo email account...

18. jan

Hey VaMPiRiC_CRoW,

>Yes, I'm a client, but I don't sent the email from my NetCabo email account...

Pls. do so, if possible.

Thanks,

jan

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I already sent an email from mail NetCabo email account ;)

Now I'm waiting for 2 replies...

20. angelo_lopes

I found something new on this issue. Hopefully it may help Eset's guys finding a solution, shall it fix the problem on other user's computers connected to the net via cable.
    The only way not to get "Downloaded file is damaged" error message, was to use a free proxy server.
    Now I found that selecting "None" for Internet connection on Update > Setup > Advanced, I don't get the error even without using a proxy.
    Can you please give this a try, and let know the result on this thread?

TIA

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi Angelo,

Until know your suggestion works...
    Tomorrow I will tell you something about this...

Thanks

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

In 15th day of this Month, I receveid and e-mail from NetCabo saying that "In the sequence of its contact, we inform that the presented subject is in analysis and will deserve ours better attention."

I'm waiting...

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Today it works very well too...

24. angelo_lopes

Question to Eset:
    Since NOD32 does not connect automatically to the Internet (and this is not a problem at all).
    Since on the help file is written "Make sure your computer is connected to Internet and click the Update icon".
    Why do we need to setup the Internet Connection type, I mean, what difference does it make None, LAN/ Fixed line or Dial-up?

Thanks in advance

Note: Now I start believing the problem is _not_ on the ISPs side, since selecting "None" for Internet connection
    we don't get "Downloaded file is damaged". I tested it on another machine.

25. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Angelo,
    the only difference is that with dial-up selected, the event log should not read errors connecting to the server in case there's an update task scheduled to search for newer updates on a specific time basis. I will investigate what else the connection type setting affects as I'm not aware of any anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.