BitDefender TrafficLight (BETA): Social Web Security, Re-invented

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

I was using the WebInstaller version of TrafficLight, and this happened on all supported browsers. (Firefox5, IE9, Safari & Chrome).

My system's default language is English.

It took me awhile to find out what was causing this, I tried disabling Avast (all shields) thinking the updated version might have a bug. I only was using Windows default firewall. After I uninstalled TrafficLight and rebooted my system the problem went away. Then to make sure that is was TrafficLight, I reinstalled and rebooted once again. Then these letter symbols got converted to non-characters once again. So I'm sure that it is definitely TrafficLight causing this.

Another user on another forum also experienced this same issue. I believe when TrafficLight scans pages, somehow it has trouble reading symbols.

My personal website on my signature was affected by this very badly, many other sites were also affected but Wilder's wasn't for some reason.

Thanks.:D

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Hmm, can you give examples sites? I've never seen this happen while using the Firefox or Chrome extension (which are far less bloated).

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

The BitDefender TrafficlLight (Beta) Firefox Add-on had a version update yesterday to version 0.1.18.

4. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

what's the green tick there for?

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

My TrafficLight Firefox extension updated to 0.1.18 this morning.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Majorgeeks has an entry up for TrafficLight beta 1.5.0.201. This is the webinstaller and is digitally signed April 11, 2011. Is this a new beta or has Majorgeeks got it wrong? (again :cautious: )

7. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I am using Bitdefender AV Plus 2012. While posting at raymond.cc I could not submit the reply correctly and in the second attempt I got pictures of flags of nations at the beginning and at the endo_O The 2012 version of bitdefender includes traffic light. I will test for a few days and if this happens again I will remove bitdefender. Imagine if the amount entered for an online payment ends up wrong:p

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

A new version of BitDefender TrafficLight Beta is out: 0.1.19

9. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the heads-up. The TL plugin for Firefox updates automatically but doesn't notify, so I didn't notice immediately. The "Anti-Fraud Filter" component is still inactive in this version. I wonder if they plan to enable it, or if it will be necessary to use the web installer for that feature?

11. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I'm not using TL currently but I have it installed on my wife's setup.

I think that "coming soon" indicates that the feature will be included on the firefox add-on when it's ready for prime-time..

12. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

anyone have page loading issues with traffic light enabled? for example, if i load www.google.co.uk then the page will not finish loading, the page is rendered but the focus will not be on the search box and firefox will show a 'stop' symbol instead of a 'refresh' symbol which means that trafficlight is stopping the page from fully loading. the latest BETA has not solved the issue as it is still happening.

edit- scan.co.uk does not even half load with trafficlight enabled. with trafficlight disabled the page loads in 1 second, with trafficlight enabled the page only half loads even after 2 minutes..

seems to be a firefox only issue

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  13. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

This is ridiculous!
    We should have a dev answering us. We don't, and we don't at Bitdefender forums as well.
    What's the difference between the full install and the browser add-ons?
    Why does the full install produce such a bloat?
    If the browser add-ons don't have a huge data base, is it cloud based?
    If it isn't cloud based, where is it based?
    If it is cloud based, why is it the full install so heavy?

I like this app, but I'm yet to understand it.

14. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Those questions have already been answered. And the site provides an easy-to-understand comparison chart.

15. Jose_Lisbon

In that case I must be dumb.

The "chart" charts nothing, it's outdated.
    There is no clear explanation as to what this program's features are in its different personas.

My questions still stand. They are produced at Bitdefender forums as well.

16. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

AFAIK the full install has virus signature database stored locally with which it scans the web pages for malware plus it uses cloud service to check a website to know if it is blacklisted. The addon versions uses only the cloud service and no virus signature and hence less bloat.

17. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

No reason to use the installer if that's the only difference. IF you can connect to a page you can connect to their cloud service. If you can't connect to their cloud service it means your internet is likely out in whcih case you aren't going to visit any malicious pages...

18. treehouse786

i see it the opposite way, in my opinion there is no point in using just the addon as it wont help you if you visit a compromised website or a new malware hosting website. the installer would

the addon does not scan in real-time, it only uses a known 'bad list' of websites.

the web installer has quite good detection of malware pages which have not been blacklisted by the 'bad list'.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  19. Jose_Lisbon

I'm always reading contradictory opinions.
    One day I'll understand how this program works.

20. treehouse786

why cant both those statements be true o_O

they can both be true

the addon uses the cloud service to retrieve information about the websites, the addon will ask bitdefender servers if it is a known bad site. the installer will do the same along with a full sweep of the website using an actual http scanning engine.

edit- i think it would help the situation if people knew what 'cloud' actually meant. just because the addon uses the 'cloud' does not mean it has real-time scanning.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  21. Jose_Lisbon

humm... I think it starts to make sense.

22. treehouse786

:thumb:

23. Jose_Lisbon

Same to you.

24. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

FYI: I started running the add-on TL 0.1.17 in June and currently 0.1.20 since August 2nd in Haller's portable Firefox 5.0. It adds about 700kb to the prefs.js file (normally about 80kb). The drop-down tool bar notes "last update" as August 6. Apparently it updates prefs.js occasionally but I haven't yet gotten around to monitoring that. I copied out the data and attached it here for your perusal and edification. And a snappy little screenshot for... well, because I can.

While surfing, outbound port 80 connections to nimbus dot bitdefender dot com servers is quite active.

So far there's hardly been a link of the 60 or so I've opened in malc0de or MDL it (or DynDNS IG) hasn't zapped. Take that as you will, that's pretty good no matter how you look at it. Most of the time DynDNS IG will warn when TL misses and vice versa, otherwise they're both on top of things.

Another FYI: I'm running the 0.1.16 extension in SRWare Iron portable 12.0.750.0 and there's a localstorage file for TL worth about 1.2MB time stamped 8/8 tho the tool bar reports last updated 8/5. Data looks similar to that in Firefox prefs.js.

I wish they'd take this out of beta sometime soon....

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011
  25. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

I'm running the version of this for Chrome. Just noticed it updated today and now the "Anti-Fraud Filter" button is lit up and appears to be active. I'm not sure what it actually does though...o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.