BitDefender TrafficLight (BETA): Social Web Security, Re-invented

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swordfish_

Swordfish_ Registered Member

Did anyone noticed that when using with FF 5.0 and NoScript the pop-up menu of Traffic Light will not show until you set 'allow' for a certain page?
    For example I need to have 'google.com' allowed (in this case it's not .com, but it doesn't matter) so that I have TL scan the search results.
    Anyone experienced the same behavior or is mine just an isolated incident?

In IE and Chrome everything's ok.

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

That's what happened to me when I'm using the web installer. The extension version shows the menu even if the scripts are blocked.

3. Swordfish_

Swordfish_ Registered Member

Thank you.

4. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

I've installed it as a Firefox add-on. No slow downs but... where are the red ratings?

Attached Files:

• bd1.PNG
      bd1.PNG
      File size:
      91.7 KB
      Views:
    • bd2.PNG
      bd2.PNG
      File size:
      85.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

From my limited understanding, WOT is mostly reputation based and Bitdefender Stoplight actually checks to see if there is any malicious code on the website.

6. Jose_Lisbon

As I see it (correct me if I'm wrong) TL will scan a site only when you open it.
    So what are those ratings based on? It's not possible TL would scan 10 sites every time a Google search page opens.

7. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Some people keep forgetting that it is a beta. The malware blocking is great, the ratings...not so much. Obviously, TL would be out of beta by time BD 2012 is released. Till then, I will not question a beta/new product. For example, a couple months ago avast! webrep was very 'poor' but now it is better, and will continue to improve.

8. Jose_Lisbon

I didn't forget. I'm just trying to understand how it works. In fact I quite like it (as long as it works alongside WOT, they're complementary).

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

WOT checks for scams, reputation, appropriateness, etc. Those things cannot be detected as malicious code.
    Also, it's ratings are sometimes outdated, with the website being recently clean.
    Of course, not all people are perfect or good, making WOT prone to false positive.

If you want to see TrafficLight working, then you'll have to go to definite malicious sites.

10. snippits

snippits Registered Member

Is it ok to use TrafficLight and Panda Security url filtering at the same time?

11. Jose_Lisbon

I like more and more this add-on.
    I disabled Search Result Analyzer because WOT is much better, but the Malware Filter is quite good (see snapshot).
    Too bad their forums are not very active and there's not a lot of users in Firefox.
    Whoever out there uses it please provide some feedback.
    Regards.

Attached Files:

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Chrome extension has permissions to communicate with -http://track.trafficlight.bitdefender.com/*

What exactly is it needed for? I'm more interested in the word track. :D

13. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

BitDefender TrafficLight Beta is working fine for me.

However, I am just curious as what "updates" in BitDefender TrafficLight Beta? Under "Settings" it shows "Last updated on: XX July 2011". I was thinking that BitDefender TrafficLight Beta is more of a "Cloud" type of linkscanner.

I now routinely (about once a day) open Firefox (no sandbox) to a blank page and wait (usually less than one minute) for BitDefender TrafficLight Beta to update. I then close Firefox and then reopen it in a sandbox.

Thanks in Advance.

14. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

cant wait until this out of BETA, it will be my only realtime protection :thumb:

15. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

@m00nbl00d: track.trafficlight.bitdefender.com is used for:
    - install/uninstall notifications of the full webinstall version
    - web server where the Feedback and Report broken page posts are submitted

@TheKid7: TrafficLight Beta (webinstaller) rely on both cloud (at this moment just for search result analizer) and local signatures - the ones already found in BD2011 and the rest of our products

Since TL Beta has a windows service that is active in the background, there is no need for you to do anything for the update to start - the AV signatures will be automatically downloaded and loaded into memory

@treehouse786: we're almost there with the new version of TL webinstaller - the one already revealed in BD2012 Beta ;)

16. treehouse786

any updates? cant wait for this to come out *puppy*

17. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

The trafficlight addon for mozilla Updates automatic like other addons(wot, no script), or everytime i must to download and install the new version?

18. DBone

DBone Registered Member

This is not a slam on Bitdefender TrafficLight, but I don't understand why anyone would use this, WOT or avast!'s WebRep thingy? They all take system resources and they all have a hit on web browsing performance. Even if the hit is slight, it is still a hit.

Why not just set your browser's default search engine to Norton Safe Search? I takes no machine resources, doesn't need installing on your machine and never needs updating. It gives ratings based on malware, and not a mob based rating like WOT or WebRep (not sure about BDTL).

Just my $.02

19. treehouse786

maybe because TrafficLight has realtime scanning and all the other ones you mentioned don't? :)

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good point;)

21. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

For me when i go in that page in search results is red like yours, but when i click it bypass protection and i go into site upon refresh it blocks it. In simple words it blocks it only i refresh the page.(i can visit the site keyboard.com without blocking me like yours and when i refresh the site it block me)

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Updated automatically for me.

These add-ons rate/scan the current websites, and are barely noticeable (much less than slight). Excluding Avast WebRep, they can block websites as well.

Norton Safe Search uses Ask, which is a crappy search engine. It doesn't protect you from all websites you visit. WOT also use some other sources. BDTL is real-time scanning along with malware databases.

23. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but if you post on a online forum or blog, etc. with your BitDefender TrafficLight installed on your browser, sometimes letter symbols get converted to non-characters.

Like the following:

* to æ
    - to é
    & to µ
    ? to ö
    . to â
    : to Å
    ; to É
    = to Æ
    @ to Ω

Once TrafficLight is uninstalled, then the letter symbols post correctly.
    I had to uninstall TrafficLight because this got too annoying.

Thanks.:D

24. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Wow that is cool. :D I wish TL had done the same on my threads.

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No*. I @m fine. Which websites are affected? Which version of TrafficLight are you using on what browser? Is your OS English?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.