Google Chrome extensions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saraceno, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Also depends on whether it's "Yes, I believe Mr Maone inter alios, have discussed this issue at some length on his NoScript forum." Or, "Yes, I believe Mr Maone inter alios have discussed this issue at some length on his NoScript forum." In the first example, the word have makes perfect sense. In the second, has would need to replace have, in order for it to make sense....Look at me, some American dude whose American version of English is so full of unnecessary and complicated things, trying to help with British English, lol.

3. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Good thinking Batman ...

5. Daveski17

Yeah, sometimes I get my auxiliaries crossed with my moods & confused with my future historics, the only sensible recourse then is my local boozer! ;)

6. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Very usefull:
    Omnibox Site Search
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cckcidchbmodjccllbmegoignhmidncg
    Nice SpeedDial:
    Speeddial 2
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jpfpebmajhhopeonhlcgidhclcccjcik

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Chrome is a nice and fast browser, and there exist many excellent extensions. However, it strikes me that no one is talking about related security issues. This got my attention when I read a remark by Giorgio Maone, the Noscript developer, about the Mozilla Add-ons Review Process:

The last statement is confirmed here ...
    ... and here:
    Now compare this with the very strict (and recently become even stricter) Mozilla Add-on Review Process described here, here and here.

Note that I'm not mentioning this in order to start a flame war. I find it just funny that this important topic is nowhere discussed (unless I missed that). Simply put: How do I know that a Chrome extension doesn't read my passwords if no review process exists?

8. Daveski17

I think that this is a valid point. Which is why I only tend to use the more popular extensions, primarily on the grounds that if they are used by many with no apparent problems or breaches of security, they are probably quite genuine (hopefully).

9. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, this makes sense although it doesn't solve the fundamental problem. And it assumes that there is always someone else playing the food taster first ...;)

Besides, a great number of users doesn't necessarily mean that an extension is not malicious. Hardly anybody would notice that their passwords are read - and once they do it's too late.

EDIT: Is the situation under Chrome different from the one under Android?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011
  10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think extension security is the last thing people think about. It seems most concentrate on only the browser itself having the vulnerabilities, and, when those are fixed, there is an assumed "all clear". As was pointed out, extensions dig themselves in deep, and that opens up quite a few more opportunities for things to go wrong. In Chromes' case, it's quite evident that too many think it's untouchable because of its sandbox. I'm not quite sure if the sandbox is going to do a lot if a part of the browser (meaning an extension) is the attacker.

No matter what browser they're run under, extensions are going to be a security risk, small or not.

11. tlu

tlu Guest

But it makes a big difference if they undergo a strict review process or not, don't you think so?

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Huge difference, I completely agree. I was just pointing out that extensions themselves are a security risk that you need to decide if it's worth taking.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

One of the things that got a lot of (negative) comment in the Google Chrome help forum was the disclaimer that accompanied extensions. It was quite unambiguous. A very stern caveat emptor. The cautions on the Firefox add-ons page were relatively tepid.

Anyway, the more add-ons, the larger the attack surface. Peer review, while better than nothing, is not infallible.

14. Daveski17

Ermm... I do feel a little guilty about that ... ;)

Yes, this is true. Most of my Iron/Chrome extensions are actually security ones though. However I don't know if that is just being naive.

:eek:

15. Daveski17

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

17. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Does anyone know a trick or maybe an extension :)P ) that can help when opened a new tab by clicking on a link with middle mouse button,to open on top?I'm used to this in FF and is annoying that misses in Chrome.
    Update:The best i can find is this Open link in foreground tab

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  18. Daveski17

Yes, I used that for a bit but I thought it was a little sluggish at times. I was quite impressed though.

19. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

20. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

21. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I thought this had been abandoned? It does not appear to be updated in nearly a year and had some bugs last time I used it.

22. acr1965

23. Daveski17

24. acr1965

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.