Windows XP hangs at startup on "Applying computer settings"

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by perbauer, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perbauer

perbauer Registered Member

I have about 20 computers on which Windows XP hangs at startup, it hangs on
    "Applying computer settings", i.e. before the logon window.
    I do according to this Eset KB article
    http://www.eset.eu/knowledge-base/a...t-to-OS-Win-because-your-PC-is-getting-frozen
    and then I can start the computers correctly.
    But after NOD32 updates the problem then comes back.

Anyone else seen this problem?
    Is there a solution?

Right now I have to uninstall NOD32 so that people can get back to work, not a pleasant situation.

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I believe your solution is Here Simliar threads, Here, Here

3. Rian

Rian Registered Member

Yep, one of our customers also got hit by this.... 6 XP SP3 workstations was hanging this morning at "Applying computer settings".
    8 hours after finally convincing the customer to upgrade from ver. 2.7! Should have known.....

The solution was here http://kb.eset.eu/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2577 but came way to late to save us from hours of wasted troubleshooting.
    We now look to NOD32 as the 1st step in troubleshooting boot and other strange "freezing" issues after the "other" recent bad definition update. Sad... :(

4. alexccs

alexccs Registered Member

We are using NOD32 BE 4.2.64.12, just started switching from SEP and rolled out some NOD32 to colleague's workstations.

We started to have XP users complaining domain logon hang problem lately, other than XP hangs after logon they also experience Logon CTRL-ALT-DEL not responsive(while mouse working, caps lock & number lock is responding), have to hard reboot. Most likely they can successful logon and work after 3-4 reboot. Tried the KB delete the engine file and update the Engine to 1289, but problem still there.

Now we try uninstall > reboot > reinstall > update, see if there will be a difference and will report back.

5. alexccs

After few days of observe, the hanging at startup still happens after applied the 1289 / 1031. We tried reinstall the product, same.

There mainly have 2 types of login hangs

1) After user enter the password and hit enter. Then the screen show either blank with a responsive keyboard & mouse cursor, or "Applying computer settings" with a responsive keyboard & mouse cursor

2) No respond from hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL, caps lock/num lock responsive, network seems not started, cannot ping/remote control the workstation. Have to power cycle the workstation and hope the next reboot those 3 keys could work.

For problem 1, seems that if the user wait a while for the hard disk indicator lights to clams down before pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL then login will not hang.

Our SEP licenses are expiring, we have to replace them ASAP. Please help.

We switched from SEP cause of their lower and lower detection rate.

6. siljaline

Have you reviewed the suggestions and possible solutions posted here ?

Unless you thoroughly review and provide feedback on each, the other alternative would be to submit an issue ticket

7. alexccs

yes, checked these post last week already. Followed the instruction to updated the scanner module, no help.

I just installed the old version BE V3 on the login lockup machines and now no more lockups. Wondering what in V4 causing these problems. :cautious:

8. siljaline

Follow as previously advised :ouch:

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please reproduce the problem with the latest version of EAV 4.2.64 and generate a complete memory dump per the instructions here when the lockup occurs? A complete memory dump should definitely tell if the problem lies solely in EAC or if there's an interference with another driver / software.
    When you have the dump ready and compressed in an archive along with a SysInspector log and an xml file with exported EAV configuration, let me know so that I can provide you with instructions for uploading the archive to our server.

10. danny33

danny33 Registered Member

I had a similar issue with 1289 that was fixed with a wireless driver update.

Dan

11. wm408

wm408 Registered Member

I have the same problem with 4.2.64.12. The same symptom seems to relate to another thread regarding SBS 2008. I have not personally installed 4.2.64.x on any of my servers however I have tested it on 3 different XP machines with completely different hardware, all in a domain environment, one of which I am logging in locally to the machine, (not the domain), and I get the same result.

What I have noticed is that If I leave the computer at the login screen for a prolonged period, (1+ hour), I come to it, press cntrl+alt+delete and nothing happens, it cannot be reached by ping, (network is not available). I have been using the Esetuninstaller in safe mode to get control back on each of the PCs. One of the computers I was able to disable self-defense and it has been reliable now for 4+ days and the user hasn't had any problems. However on the other 2, disabling self-defense is not helping.

I followed the Microsoft KB article on getting a minidump,

USB Keyboard

Click Start ? Run, type regedit and click OK.

In the Registry Editor find the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters

Right-click in the right-hand part of the window, and select New ? DWORD.

Name the key CrashOnCtrlScroll and set its value to 1.

Close the editor and restart your computer.

To generate a new memory dump file, press and hold the right CTRL key and then press the SCROLL LOCK key twice.
    For more more information on generating memory dump files, please visit Microsoft’s website at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244139

However I have not had any success. The right-ctrl + 2 scroll lock clicks doesn't create any dumps for me.

Any other suggestions on retrieving dumps?

12. wm408

wm408 Registered Member

Can ESET replicate the environment?

I've proven 4 different XP machines fully patched in a domain envinroment, (2000 server domain, but I don't think this matters), will lock up on you after rebooting.

After installing the latest NOD32 in the domain environment, reboot, walk away for 20 minutes or so, come back, and ctrl+alt+delete wont respond, the computer won't respond to pings, and you cant get a minidump. Only way to recover is to boot into safe mode and run the eset uninstaller.

Thanks.

13. Marcos

Does the problem persist with v. 4.2.67 installed and pre-release updates enabled in the advanced update setup?

14. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Can you give a quick run-down of all the software that's installed? It sounds like a conflict with something. We have many PCs which are left for several hours at the login screen and we don't have this issue. We have 4.2.67.12 but without the prerelease updates.

If we're okay on 122 Pcs but you're having problems with 4, it does sound like perhaps something you have installed that we don't (or vice versa). Ours are a mixture of XP SP3, Vista SP2 amd Win7, x86 and x64, on either SBS2003R2 or SBS2008 domains. On some we also have Prevx and on others we just have ESET. Do you have anything "non-standard" such as inventory agents (Altiris), monitoring software, remote-access software etc?

Jim

15. wm408

wm408 Registered Member

I haven't tried pre-release updates in advanced updates. Never have. Would you like me to try?

16. wm408

wm408 Registered Member

Jim, I will test a system on Monday/Tuesday with only a fully patched XP-Sp3 + Nod32. I don't feel it has anything to do with software packages on the computer as they are not running during the symptoms. There aren't any non-standard software/services that need to run on startup.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  17. wm408

wm408 Registered Member

I made a virtual machine yesterday and finished updating today in the same domain discussed before. Going to leave it on all night and see how it goes over 15 hours or so.

Thanks

18. alexccs

Our XP PCs seems not have this problem if NOD32 was installed by local admin(not domain admin), but have no time/chance to verify yet cause We fall back to V3 if any XP have the hanging problem(before the user complains).

19. wm408

wm408 Registered Member

alexccs: thx for the info

As far as my test, its still running. Ill report back when I see the problem again.

Thanks Marcos and Jim for support.

20. Marcos

Just make sure to enable pre-release updates so that the latest modules are downloaded and installed.

21. wm408

wm408 Registered Member

Will Do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.