BSOD

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by FanJ, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Today I got a kind of a BSOD after having installed defs with pre-release enabled, having done an in-depth scan, and rebooted. I had to do an hard reboot.
    This is maybe related to:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1768461&postcount=13
    Maybe it could be a sudden conflict with an other start-up program.

I am on XP-home SP3, Dutch, IE6.
    EAV 4.2.64.12 English.

I have put back a backup-image (Acronis TI 9-0-3.854 running from its bootable CD) from 10-10-2010.
    I was lucky to be able to make a backup of my emails with Express Assist. I have not yet put that backup back.

I have now pre-release disabled.
    I'll start slowly to update things step by step (like EAV defs and the MS-updates again from this week) to see how it is going.
    I don't have much time for testing.

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Richard, I still have
    This would have been available for users using pre-release updates, I believe that Jan has turned this feature off, yet I have not.

The component has not be updated as of yet

I experienced a freeze issue when I turned off Smart Optomisation as referenced in this thread

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Richard and Randy (siljaline),

The new Antivirus and Antispyware scanning module 1289 could well have solved the issue :) but I need more time and testing.

I had originally pre-release enabled but after having put back a back-up image (and my emails by Express Assist) I have it disabled for now (as Randy posted).

The screenshot shows the modules I just got:

NOD32_2010_10_19_1.gif

I have done now two reboots after I got that update, and so far no "freeze", which is perhaps indeed a better word than my word "BSOD".
    I have not yet done a scan.
    For the moment I have "smart optimization" disabled after I had put back the back-up image.
    And further info: I did install again the MS updates from last week after putting back the back-up image (except that I did not install (yet) this time KB 2345886).

So further testing needed on my side if time permits but for now it looks good.
    Thank you !

5. siljaline

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's up to you. Nobody with pre-release updates enabled has reported any issues for the last 3-4 days since the module was updated. It will be replaced on pre-release servers with a new one with the bug fixed after it passes internal testing.

7. siljaline

Since I was only able to obtain the Antivirus and Antispyware scanning module 1289 with pre-release updates disabled, to keep the module as-is, I suppose I will have leave pre-releases disabled in order to avoid a see-saw effect when turning the pre-releases on | off causing module changes.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  8. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Randy,

Yes, that's what I did too: pre-release disabled for now.

Hi Richard,

The issue is resolved :)
    I did some more testing and it is OK. Pre-release disabled (Antivirus and Antispyware scanning module 1289), smart optimization enabled now.

PS: please let us know when that bug in the pre-release of the Antivirus and Antispyware scanning module is fixed, for those of us who want to enable pre-release ;)

Cheers, Jan

9. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello FanJ,

You can enable pre-release updates. Note that pre-release updates are not the finalized updates. They undergo testing before they are pushed as regular updates.

Thank you,
    Richard

10. siljaline

Hi Richard,
    Enabling pre-release updates are for
    Neither which O/S, FanJ nor I run. I continue to not use pre-release updates, however safe they May be Citing Issues with Antivirus and Antispyware scanning module update 1288, enabling pre-release reverses this module to a previous and unwanted state as I have stated to Marcos in the stand-alone post I have referenced in my reply.

11. Marcos

This is not true any more. The module 1288 was available on pre-release servers at that time but shortly after it was replaced with v. 1290 which had the issue definitively fixed. By the way, nobody having v. 1288 installed from pre-release servers has ever complained about any issues with it.

12. vtol

vtol Registered Member

your statement is not correct - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=284756 and it is not quite fair to disqualify the poster's input just because nobody else has an issue

13. Marcos

Perhaps I should have better said that we hadn't received any complaints while the module was on pre-release servers, before it went to all users for a very short while. Anyways, so far nobody else has reported such an issue and we were unable to reproduce it either so I guess it may not necessarily be connected with the module update.
    I didn't mean to disqualify his input, I simply meant that nobody reported any issues while the module was on pre-release servers for testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.