Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Re: Anyone tried out Hitman Pro?

Well, that wasn't the case here at all, it scanned on every reboot. Perhaps the key location has permission troubles w/ limited user account so it never gets written.

2. erikloman

erikloman Developer

The HitmanPro35.exe has a requireAdministrator UAC manifest so on Vista/Win7 it will always run with Administrator privileges. On WinXP the /scan:boot function will not run when a user logs on without Administrator privileges.

What I can think of is that the Quick Scan doesn't trigger the registry key to be saved while the Standard Scan does. I'll have to check with my co-workers on this.

3. volvic

volvic Registered Member

I found hitman to be rubbish. Another anti malware program found > 400 problems (rogue AV) when hitman claimed there were none!

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

You always have such nice posts. First Kaspersky sucks and is bloatware, then ESET sucks and now Hitman Pro is rubbish. Saw you are using Avira 10, good luck with that.
    Quite a funny note is that Hitman Pro actually uses Avira in their cloud (not really stated as being a cloud patner anymore, but it is still there).

5. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Avira is no longer in the cloud. New malware scanned by cloud isn't scanned by Avira.

6. erikloman

erikloman Developer

400 problems? Probably remnant registry or data files.

Tools like MBAM and SAS also count folders and registry keys as malicious. So if you have a key or file in a location like C:\Folder\file.exe or HKLM\Software\Key\value then also C:\Folder and HKLM\Software\Key is listed :blink: .

As previous posted: Hitman Pro 3.6 will have a remnant scan.

7. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Avira missed??;)

8. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Single rogue AV missed. Yes, that makes it rubbish. I trust this other anti-malware program doesn't miss a single detection...otherwise I guess that would make it rubbish as well. Hopefully you can see the absurdity of your comment.

9. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

I call false positives! ;)

10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Yeah it's rubbish. We're all here using the product and posting in this thread cause it's 'rubbish'. ;) You previously said you've used Nod, then Kaspersky has better detection, then later said Nod is rubbish and Kaspersky aint no good!

By the way, if you're downloading that many problem files, then your common sense might be rubbish! :p

Back on topic! :p Erik, hope an upcoming version does incorporate a scheduler. I assume, if it does happen, might be a paid only feature?

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think HitMan Pro is rock solid;)

12. ALiasEX

Hitman Pro has never detected anything for me (except for a patch). That's good!

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i been testing nasty malware and hitman pro detects most of them;)

14. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

What did it miss and did Early Warning Scoring detect it? Please mention this in the future when developers of the software are active at Wilders and they've a chance to improve instead of having bold claims.

EDIT: Made a terrible typo if you ask me, this has been fixed. :D

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  15. ALiasEX

I was just testing NIS 2011 BETA against some rogues and it caught most of them but let two in. One is hosted at brothersoft and softpedia and Norton Power Eraser didn't detect it but Hitman Pro detected them both. Just a very small insignificant test.

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The only bad thing is Hitman Pro scans certain areas only :p

I wish it scanned the WHOLE pc :D

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i think i remember that being something theyre looking into for a paid function since scanning an entire system in the cloud wuld be extreme strains on their servers, that is if i remember correctly. :D

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

raven no complaints it is serving me very well here;)

19. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

No, I know that you think HMP is performing, it's just that you said it didn't catch all of them and it's more than good to share details on what that was and why - also what scanning method you were using (Default scan or Early Warning Scoring). ;)

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know what you mean :D next time i will write down the names :cool:

21. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Microsoft cures 260.000 TDL3 infections

From: http://hitmanpro.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/microsoft-cures-260-000-tdl3-infections/

Microsoft cures 260.000 TDL3 infections
    Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) cleaned over 260,000 computers that were infected by Alureon (aka TDL3 or TDSS).
    See http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2010/04/30/msrt-april-threat-reports-alureon.aspx for more details.

MSRT is effective against TDL3 up to version 2.273, but it has no effect against newer versions of TDL3 (spreading since April 2010). Hopefully Microsoft will be able to clean these soon. But the good news is that at least these 260,000 people were rescued.

From our own user base, we see that 32,610 computers were infected with TDL3 while 22,607 computers (69.3%) has an up-to-date AntiVirus program installed. Most AntiVirus programs will be able to prevent an infection. But after the machine is infected, many AntiVirus programs have difficulties detecting and removing an infection. TDL3 is spreading since October 2009.

22. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Re: Microsoft cures 260.000 TDL3 infections

Cleaning a computer with this infection is a major pain in the butt. Just the other day it had this infection. Atapi.sys was infected as well as lots of hidden processes and files of which were mostly called pragmad.sys or pragma something. Tried cleaning with hitman pro but wasn't able too. I clicked next to remove and it didn't do anything. Didn't try running it in safe mode. Though that was my next step. Would have used combofix as I have seen it do a very good job of cleaning with this infection but was fixing it remotely and would have killed the remote computers internet access. Also tried gmer to kill the hidden process and delete the files but that didn't work either.

23. erikloman

erikloman Developer

The newest variant is even tougher. Currently no AV, including Hitman Pro, is able to detect it. There exist some TDL3 dedicated removal tools but these don't work against this so called TDL3 April 2010 Edition.

This new variant randomly infects a driver and also ensures that the in-memory driver reflects an uninfected state. It seems you can currently only detect the infection by looking at the hard disk device stack, but then you still don't know how it got loaded.

Currently the best solution is trying to detect it using a boot CD. But people would only do so if they suspect infection. A lot of computer users don't know they have this infection.

See here for more info.

24. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Thanks I'll read up on that link. Yeah was going to try a BartPE usb bootup drive I got when all else failed and last step reimage.

Edit: Also I think the infection came through paladin rogue antivirus. Saw that installed as well.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  25. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

I guess i have to check my PC then, I suspect that it may be infected. BTW i never visit anywhere without AppLocker Enabled and SandboxIE...

I guess it would be difficult to get infected with AppLocker and LUA...If it cannot executed, it cannot infect.

BTW Erik have you checked you Email and PM? I have send you something officially. :)

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.