Eset Firewall on Vista SP1 causing Outlook to disconnect from exchange server

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by abuthemagician, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuthemagician

abuthemagician Registered Member

I have been having an issue on my Vista SP1 clients, where the firewall will cause Outlook to disconnect from the Exchange server. Also, there can be times where the firewall stops allowing traffic in or out, and I cannot do anything until I disable it.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Try these suggestions:

1. Make sure you use the very latest build of the programs 4.0.437 . It can be downloaded from www.eset.com/download provided that your license is active/valid.

2. If you use Automatic mode for the firewall , turn the firewall to Automatic mode with exceptions . Open the user interface , press F5 to open the Advanced options and navigate to Personal firewall > Rules and zones to create a rule/exception that allows Outlook to communicate In and Out (BOTH) . Confirm the changes with OK .

3. If you use Interactive mode for the firewall , go to to Personal firewall > Rules and zones and manually delete all rules you have for Outlook . Confirm the changes and let ESS ask you what to do with the program

4. Enable Test mode to download the very latest beta version of the firewall module
    4.1. http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB Team Only/SOLN2254/timiscool.png
    4.2. http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB Team Only/SOLN2254/SOLN2254-1.2.png

Confirm the changes.

Update your signatures manually !

5. Go to Personal firewall > IDS and advanced options and make sure that both "Maintain inactive TCP connections" and "Enable communication for bridged connections" are checked . They are in the Allowed services section

6. Go to Miscellaneous > Email client integration and uncheck email integration with Outlook .

7. Go to Web access protection > HTTP , HTTPs > Active mode and make sure Outlook is *not* checked

3. abuthemagician

how would i do all that in policy mode? We use policies for our computers and don't allow changes on the local PC

4. abuthemagician

Also, we have rules that say our local subnets get allow all both in and out

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If you are not the administrator of that computer , contact the IT people

Rules can also be created in policy-based mode .

Just try the other offers (ignore steps 2 and 3)

6. abuthemagician

I am the lucky system admin that gets to figure this out... I added step 5 to my policy and that seems to be working. I was told to do number 6 by tech support, but that only took the spam toolbar out of outlook which kind of defeats the purpose of having anti-spam...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.