Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Thanks for reporting back.

Yes it is just a simple backup snapshot of my original setup.

2. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

running a backup with macrium reflect free prevx edge gets disabled?
    running prevx edge,windows firewall
    vista basic

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I'm not sure why it would and I'm unfamiliar with macrium reflect free, but I'll forward it onto our QA team to see if they can find anything :)

4. GabolaN

GabolaN Registered Member

Hi all

I have good news :) . Last week I run Kaspersky, MBAM, DrWeb and Prevx, and only DrWeb and Prevx founded an infection on a file (I dont remember now wich virus was it). So, imagine how difficult is to defeat MBAM and Kaspersky, and this time Prevx did it :thumb:

Just a little reccomendation: Why don´t you contact with another ASAP sites and show Prevx to them? It would be an inteligent strategy to make Prevx more know in the Malware Removal Comunity :thumb:

5. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

Still getting this FP with a file at VT:

Prevx1 V2 2009.04.13 Medium Risk Malware Downloader

I thought prevx uses an online database, and I am wondering why my local prevx edge tells me the file is clean...

6. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Joe

v3.0.1.52 has just appeared via auto update. Update was smooth as ever. Apart from link changes cannot see much difference with .50.

Any information available re. the changes between .50 > .52 :D

7. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Updated to 52 after start up scan, very smooth - just a couple of seconds :)
    So that seems to be my automatic update problem out of the way :thumb:

8. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

finding utorrent as bad?

Attached Files:

9. galileo

galileo Registered Member

+2...same here...

galileo

10. PrevxHelp

Probably a FP, but it would be useful to see the scan results (PM sent :)) to double check.

11. PrevxHelp

The changelog in this build is: an improvement in the automatic updater, fixed a few minor bugs with the install logic, passwords are now accepted by hitting "Enter" on the query dialog, Total Infections Cleaned is now linked to the cleanup log (if you've cleaned infection), and a handful of changes to features not yet enabled :D

12. PrevxHelp

The scanner used on VT is different than the local scanner so it may perform marginally differently. They all do talk to the database, but they speak different "languages" based on what data they collect and because the VT scanner can only scan for a certain duration and can't see any behaviors, it has to function differently.

We have corrected the results for this file, however.

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Is there anywhere on the main Prevx website where we can check the latest version number?

14. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

log sent

15. PrevxHelp

Not currently, but the live version number is 3.0.1.40 and the newest beta version is 3.0.1.52 :)

16. Cretemonster

Cretemonster Registered Member

Dont blame joe on these last few FPs, those were all on me :(

Nice of him to fix them so quickly tho. ;)

17. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I did a re-format of my computer, and get the "may only be used on one PC" again. I could see this on a new computer, but this computer is not new, so why do I get it? Is there a way to just activate the code I have?

18. PrevxHelp

If you sign up for an account on http://my.prevx.com you can enter in your license key and then go to the Manage PCs screen where you can remove the old computer from your license, which will let you then use your "new" computer on your license (reformatting changes the license data so it is effectively a new computer).

19. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Thanks - makes it easier for sure.

20. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

This week or next :shifty: :cool:

21. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Seriously, if your license says for "1 PC", it should also be that. If I understand this correctly, you can't use the same license on two OS:s of the same PC. Avira have done things correctly - their license really is for 1 PC. My first choice, Norton, also got this wrong - they got for 1 OS, not 1 PC which it should be, cause that's what they say. Another reason for me to switch from them.

Identify by MAC adress, whatever - just make it right.

If I'm wrong in this case, sorry for going on. :D

22. PrevxHelp

There is just no way to perfectly identify 1 PC, which is why we choose to use 1 OS. It does create an annoyance when moving between PCs or reformatting, but for the time being, there really isn't a way around it :doubt:

23. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Okay. Unfortunately I don't know how Avira does it... Personally I think you should write "OS" instead of "PC", even if I know it's probably so that every average Joe should understand it better - as those probably also never run more than one OS.

EDIT: Hang on... "no way to perfectly identify 1 PC"? A MAC adress is only duplicated incase someones spoofs to hack themselves inside somewhere - it's completely unique. I bet it would be your best way of identifying usage of licenses.

24. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

See if you can get the policy reviewed, as to me it seems a little heavy-handed. Just my feedback.

25. PrevxHelp

MAC addresses can be changed on-demand to whatever you want so they could either steal someone else's license or make their license invalid. Or, malware can do it to every user frequently and then we would have an absolute nightmare on our hands.

The problem is that a "PC" is really hard to define... is it the harddrive, is it the CPU, etc? Going off of hardware itself (CPU, etc.) causes FPs when hardware changes occur (as seen by Microsoft's WGA). However, a PC is probably best defined by the harddrive, but not all harddrive vendors expose a unique serial number to the OS (i.e. RAID arrays introduce a huge complexity in this identification - you'd need to literally write unique code for each vendor which would take a great deal of research/development effort) so there isn't a 100% way to get at a unique identity for the harddrive.

We have large corporate customers and although they are unlikely to abuse our licensing, if they had bought 10,000 PCs from the same vendor, with duplicate OS images on each, there is very little we can do to differentiate the individual computers so we have to use the best data we can get at.

We are doing preliminary research on a merged technique to reduce the number of complaints/allow multi-OS installations (as a significant majority of our customer service complaints are all license related :doubt:) but it is a tricky area to modify as it immediately affects every user.

A '1 OS' license is the correct metrics currently but you are correct that the average user will be confused by this. Frankly, the number of users using multiple OSs is actually relatively low, especially with the use of virtual machines becoming more accepted by the community of users that likes multiple OSs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.