Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

In which build is that weird coloring down and down to the left getting fixed? :p :D

And BTW... what's that teal or blue thing a little down to the right?

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

The background is a curve which continues onto the other side. Our graphic designer is working on improving it to make the GUI look less washed out so it should be better soon :)

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Joe

Whilst talking about presentation I personally believe that the literals on the main GUI should be in a slightly darker shade...to make them stand out a little more...that should remove some of the 'wash out' look. :D

4. raven211

Please tell me when he's done so that I can comment on the result. :)

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The continued numerous FPs still bother me.:cautious:

6. raven211

You're not alone. :D FPs in the stable version as well a number of times makes me unable to set it to total automatic operation which I like to have products on - that's, set it by my own will. :p :D

7. PrevxHelp

Its impossible to judge a program as a whole by the reports on a forum. I frequently fix the FPs reported to our customer service inbox and I know for a fact that Wilders users see more FPs than other users, most likely because of what types of software is used by people who frequent Wilders.

Many of the FPs reported here are not false positives at all, and a majority of the rest were caused because of people using maximum heuristics. The others can be attributed to the higher level of heuristics we have in place due to Conficker and the rest are legitimate FPs which every AV encounters.

I'm not sure what else to say about our false positives, but that they are disproportionately given more light because of posts here so it looks like there are more than there really are.

If we had a form to send in false positives, as many other vendors do, you would never hear about false positives to a forum (which I suspect is the case for other products).

Just my $0.02 :)

8. raven211

Guess it's the currently raised bar then. :D I whole-heartedly respect your comment, and think you're doing an excellent job fixing and replying to users reports. On the other hand I've not experienced any FPs with NIS09 in the late betas and the final, nor in the whole beta of new TF, or the final version ofc. ;)

9. ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker Registered Member

1. Woohoo, thanks for adding that feature, you guys ROCK!!!

2. It stops at 23% for a long time then jumps to 98%, the files are still being scanned and it shows them as they're being scanned but the percentage doesn't follow along. I'm using Win XP SP3 if that helps. My connection is 6Mbps and at 98% it begins checking the files which goes quickly.

3. Most excellent as I thought only Prevx users were contributing, very nice.

4. I know I know, good things come to those who wait:).

That's all for now.

10. raven211

About #3... are one of those sources like for example VirusTotal, even if that's, from what I know, based on users sending stuff in. :rolleyes:

11. PrevxHelp

Yes, we get a feed from VirusTotal as do all of the other vendors on there as well, but that is from user submission (and a surprisingly large volume of samples as well).

Our primary crawling doesn't use VirusTotal but we use a web-crawler-based system and a large farm of computers internally which have Edge installed that report the data to our database. We use this and go hunting for new threats (and then our researchers always enjoy trying to infect themselves with the newest threats off of *ehm* less than wholesome websites :D)

You can see some videos of our battles against some of these sites at: http://www.youtube.com/user/PrevxResearch

12. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Joe

I suspect that you are correct in what you say as in the main I rarely get FPs as I am not really pushing the boudaries in terms of the software that I use or investigate (except some of the betas I test). Some of the brethern here at Wilders to push the boundaries...which is great for us all.

The main time I see FPs is just after a new build has been released and one previously fixed occassionally seems to reappear but other than that Prevx has been as quite as a mouse unless roused to do its job.

My £0.02 worth, :D

13. PrevxHelp

Very true - the one place where we could tend to have more FPs than other products is with beta software and they are almost always fixed automatically when the software is fully released. Wilders users tend to be on the bleeding edge of software updates and therefore get to be some of the first handful of people which encounter new software.

We never mind correcting FPs in beta versions, but it does become a bit tedious when a high volume of new software updates are released for certain programs that are seen by really very few people in the "wild". Therefore, we generally prioritize our whitelisting to full versions to provide the maximum benefit for our time.

And, to be the devil's advocate, many AVs detect our beta versions heuristically and always have - its generally standard practice to fix beta FPs only once the beta reaches a certain threshold of popularity, otherwise we'd have to go around knocking on the doors of developers asking them to send us their nightly builds :D

14. raven211

That's very true - but not for the AVs that I personally trust! :D :D For example... NOD32 would detect the new beta, so I uninstalled NOD. I'd experienced FPs with it before and went the same way back then. I don't think it's acceptable at all for final versions. We've seen too many cases were things have become seriously ugly because of FPs.

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I've come across a couple of FPs, mainly due to installing portable programs. But I've installed say 30 portable programs, and of these two were flagged.

But when I think of the proportion of people installing these programs I'm interested in, most likely between 1-5000 downloads, and compare it to those who are also using prevx, there might be only say 1-4 instances of that program in the prevx community.

Compare it to the how many people in the overall community that are using your regular paid programs such as Microsoft Office, and common programs such as MSN, itunes, Winamp, and you've got say 1-100,000,000+ downloads, and say (depending on how many users that are in the prevx community), 1-1,000,000 instances of that program in the prevx community.

I can understand why prevx is labeling the programs I'm interested in as a suspicious or unknown program, as hardly any, or maybe only a few prevx users would even be using them.

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Can I install Prevx Edge-licensed version- on DIFFERENT snapshots on the SAME computer?

The official Prevx support just gave me the standard answer of "Your Prevx EDGE 1 user license key is for use on 1 PC/ 1 Operating system only" which did not really answer my question.

17. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

It's probably not going to work. The activation is very very fickle. I've had it refuse to activate on an image restore of the same OS, same hard drive, same computer. Same with a reformat. It would come up that it can only be used on one computer. Even if the same computer but a new hard drive. Same copy of OS. It wouldn't activate. Luckily, Joe was able to reset my activations so I could get it to take. That's the only negative thing I have against Edge.

18. Blackcat

Thanks for the reply, Threedog ;)

I hope that Joe sees this post and confirms the above.

19. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

He will see it. I don't think the man ever sleeps.

One thing I forgot to add is if I do an image with Prevx installed and then restore that image that every thing is ok. Don't know how it will work in your situation tho but Joe will have the answer.

20. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

Is there going to be a support forum on the Prevx site? This would be a good idea I think.

21. Blackcat

Just tried to activate my license key on another snapshot and everything went okay.

Just waiting for official confirmation that this is within the license terms :blink:

22. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, I certainly hope it is. It's not as if you can you both snapshots at the same time on the same machine.

Only problem I had was using FD-ISR to rebuild my wife's laptop from an empty snapshot, from the ground up: I sloppily gave the computer the same name but with one letter in the name lowercase instead of upper case. THEN I had an activation problem when I came to the Prevx install.

Even though I went to MyPrevx and activated the "old" machine and entered the "new" machine, I could never activate that snapshot until I went back and corrected the computer name to the same as that of the "old" computer.

23. Homeless

Homeless Registered Member

What I need to know is how to remove version 3.1.0.0 from my system? I can't find a uninstaller. I tried Eset and liked it so much I bought it. When I did so I saw a quick message that Prevx was detected as a virus,(I think that is what it said) not sure.
    I have gone into safe mode and tried to remove it and thought I did, yet it remains in several folders of my system.

Any help to remove this program?

*edit* sorry forgot to include this in my post. I tried the removal tool but it was for the 2.0 version. It didn't seem to work for 3.0.

24. Blackcat

If there is no entry for Edge in the Add/Remove programs you can uninstall it with the commandline:

"c:\program files\prevx\prevx.exe" /prop UNINSTALL=Y

But their uninstaller has always worked for version 3 when I have used it.

The false positive with prevx has ben reported previously so I am surprised it has not been fixed yet.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  25. PrevxHelp

Hello all,
    I suspect that different snapshots WILL be OK to change between, as long as they are snapshots of the same original operating system. If for some reason you can't install properly, let me know and I'll see what we can do to help you out :)

Also, you should be able to always uninstall from the Control Panel, but in the event that it doesn't work, Blackcat's post is the correct troubleshooting progression :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.