Mission Accomplished! (FD-ISR & WINDOWS 7)

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by pandlouk, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Finally I found a few hours, to play with Windows 7 build7000 and FD-ISR.
    You will have to install it on a Vista first and then upgrade the Vista OS to Windows 7. At the moment I have Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP installed on the same partition. :D

Panagiotis

Attached Files:

2. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Hot damn.

Hot damn I say.

Hot damn.
    Thanks.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

pandlouk, YOU ARE GOD!! Errr, next to Todd that is. :cool:

Acadia

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Now all that is nothing short of AWESOME!!!

Brilliant i say. And another notch with thumbs up for LEAPFROG! :thumb:

5. houaus

houaus Registered Member

Thanks Panagiotis! I gave it a try but some how I ended up with the same error when trying to install FDISR; I think it was a mistake on my part when choosing the install method. However after a little experimenting, I may have discovered a solution to do a normal installation after creating an emtpy snapshot as usual.

1. Create empty snapshot, then boot into it as normal (I already had vista installed, so this step should be unnecessary if doing a clean Windows 7 install, cannot verify)

2. Install Windows 7 with the same procedure as a usual OS snapshot installation.

3. After Windows 7 installation, boot into the Vista installation disc and select Repair computer.

4. Under options, select command prompt

5. Enter the following: F:\boot\bootsect /nt60 c:

F is your DVD/CD drive. This will restore the Vista boot sector.

6. Restart and install FD-ISR as normal.

I have jumped around Vista and Windows 7 snapshots and archived and updated a W7 snapshot without errors. I am not sure of any consequences from restoring the Vista boot sector, however, nothing has blown up yet!!

Make sure you image before experimenting; I don't want anyone upset at me. Good luck!

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Does the 'Send Feedback' link in the FD-ISR title bar only appear in Vista/Windows 7? I ask because I don't see it here in Windows XP.

7. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

That link is included only in Windows 7. It is there so that reporting a problem with an application is easier to do.

8. fce

fce Registered Member

OT: can you please give me a link to download FD-ISR that will work with Vista and Windows7? I'm not sure if this FD ISR you're using is from Horizon Data.

thanks!

9. pandlouk

You are welcome guys. :)

And I agree. Todd and his team made the most versatile and stable windows OS backup/multiboot application that exists. :thumb:

@houaus
    Thanks for reporting the bootsect.exe method. It was going to be my next test with windows 7, and you saved me the time from testing it.
    With this method you could even install Windows 7 on a blank disk and install FD-ISR afterwards. Cool! :thumb:

@TonyW
    It is a link embeded in every open window, of windows 7 beta; as ambient_88 already explained.

@fce
    It is the unified leapfrog version FirstDefense-ISR 3.31.233 *New Version*

Panagiotis

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Note that version will not install unless you obtained the license from this post.

Note also that it won't apply to HorizonDatasys versions.

Pete

11. fce

fce Registered Member

it worked Pete, I can run FDISR with 14day trial with pandalouk post.
    btw, is there any improvement re: how fast to make snapshot (eg 15GB/250GB HDD)?

12. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

THANKS FOR SHARING THE TIP !

Did you send a PM to Todd so he knows it works and how it was done ?

I'm sure he already knows.... but this wil show him how interested we all are in keeping this software going forward.

Regards, Tim

13. pandlouk

You're welcome. :)

Nah... I'm pretty sure, that Todd already knew about these tricks, for a long,long time before we posted them here...

He designed the damn thing!! :D

Panagiotis

14. samy

samy Registered Member

1. To test Windows 7 on a PC running Windows XP and FDISR, is it requested to install Vista OS first and then Windows 7?
    2. After installing the new OS (either Vista or/and Windows 7) in the empty snapshot, is it necessary to install all appropriate hardware drivers, which may be different from drivers installed with Windows XP?

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

1) I don't think so. Why ?

2) Maybe. But i guess it will work right out of the box if y'are on a pretty recent system.You can always install the most recent drivers afterthat,i guess the package come native with a load of hardware drivers.

16. samy

samy Registered Member

1. In the first thread pandlouk wrote:
    You will have to install it on a Vista first and then upgrade the Vista OS to Windows 7

2. Drivers:
    I understand that the CD containing all the PC hardware drivers has to be available in case the OS will not have/found them.

thanks

17. pandlouk

1. Only if you want to do an upgrade install.
    -You can also install windows 7 on an empty snapshot (or on newly formated partition). Before installing FD-ISR insert your windows 7 dvd, run cmd as admin and type:
    [dvddrive]:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 [system_drive]:
    [dvddrive]= the drive letter of your dvd
    [system_drive]= the drive letter of your windows partition

Then install FD-ISR.

2. They will find the missing/updated drivers through windows update.

Panagiotis

18. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:D
    Guru

19. pandlouk

:D :p

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for sharing your results. Seems FD-ISR still continues to be an extremely versatile & flexible one-of-a-kind ISR.

EASTER

21. wembleyy

wembleyy Registered Member

any simpler way to go from xp win7

also wanted to know if any had any problem doing duel boot linux,windows and isr, want to know b4 i try it out

22. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Sorry, bit lost here. I know it's me, but could you clarify.

Assume I have Xp with FDR on it. Do I boot from the 7 DVd and type what you said, and then install FDR? Not sure how this is "installing Win 7 on an empty snapshot" Totally confused....sorry.
    Ken

23. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

From XP with FD-ISR installed, in FD-ISR management GUI, select "Tools"/"Create Empty Snapshot...".

It will create an empty snapshot which you can then boot into. Of course, when you do you will get a black screen with "NT LDR missing..." or words to the effect that there is no operating system, then you can reboot to your Win7 install DVD and install Win7 in that empty snapshot.

Now, you can boot to Win7 but there will be no FD-ISR install yet. Then you would follow pandlouk's instructions so that you can susccessfully install FD-ISR and then have access to the other snapshots you booted "out of" or archives you may have elsewhere.

P.S. It was high time I subscribed since I hope to need this procedure sometime next week!:D

24. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Thankyou for the reply. Will try that asap.

Regards.

25. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

OK & good luck. Sorry, I may be too late, but I meant to insert the standard disclaimer about having a good backup before doing something like this. Hopefully, you're already clued into that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.