Shadow Copy (by Runtime Software)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pandlouk, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Another cool freeware from Runtime Software.
    more info here.

Panagiotis

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Their utilities are excellent and they are also very nice people at Runtime. I can recommend the data recovery software, disk explorer as well as the RAID Reconstructor tool as I have purchased and used them all with great success.
    They have plethora of nice freeware tools I see now. Haven't used Shadow Copy but I have now downloaded it and will try it out, cheers:thumb:

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Q is why not to use DriveIMage XML instead of this? A better option.

4. pandlouk

They do not have the same use. DriveIMage XML is for imaging, shadow copy is for copying open files.
    I want to have Windows 7 with FD-ISR and shadow copy made me think of 1-2 ways on how to achieve it.:D

Panagiotis

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Now that makes for an interesting test idea. Copy all the files off the c: drive, and then bugger it up. Then copy the files back and see if you can boot.

PS. Going to try it on VM machine.

6. pandlouk

Yes, but you should replace the files of a vista image. The mbr should not be alot different.;)

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well as I thought about it something stopped me cold. This program copies files but not track 0, so once I copy them to D:\ from C:\ how do I boot to d:\ to be able to copy them back.

Don't see it as being an FDISR.

8. pandlouk

I had in mind a different approach. Image a vista partition and then replace the Vista files/folders with the 7 files/folders.
    This way you will have the the mbr and the partition boot sector from the Vista OS.I'm pretty sure that it will boot ok; I'm not so sure that FD-ISR will install ok though...

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.