KCleaner : easy and automatic System Cleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kyle_Katarn, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Hi !

I've seen your comments and, as I promised, i'm working on this.
    Implementation is longer than expected for many reasons :
    - i've not released any updates of RK-bundled app (KCleaner, VideoInspector) since the beginning of this debate. I have to sync this with next versions
    - i have to dig into my Inno Setup scripts to change the way the RK bundling is noticed to the user and i'm not familiar at all with Inno script formalism
    - to be truly honest, i gave a top priority to critical functional bugs in SUMo (why do NOT bundle RK as you probably know).

Concerning the Web site notice :
    - http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?rk has been added and improved.
    - a link to this page will be added to our download page with a specific note of each product which bundles RK. This will be done within 24h.

2. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

I'm back with some good news for everyone.

From now, "lite" versions of my installers are available from my "download page" (see "More" links section). These "Lite" installer do not include RK at all.

Check this out : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?download

3. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Sounds promising. :thumb:

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

D\l`d both just for a comparison of size. With the questionable content, 1.88MB. Without 1.14MB. Comparatively speaking just a bit of bloat = 1/3+ of the package size.
    Will wait for some feed-back from others but seems to be a step in the right direction.
    Thank you.

5. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

You're welcome.
    My reputation is worth some efforts.

6. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

It is NOT 'good news' at all - it is a useless sop that means absolutely nothing.

This has now been discussed over on MajorGeeks Software Forum too and they (majorgeeks.com) are *still not* prepared to host any of the programs with RK knowledge bundled.

The weak changes to the KC Software site are useless.
    They require a user to scroll down to see any warning, which 99% of users will not do unprompted.
    The install regime is *still* unacceptable and in breach of eTrust certification rules for RK Knowledge install.

In comparison with what Kyle Katarn promised here weeks ago it is not only a major disappointment but something that carries a strong suspicion of premeditated deceit.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  7. StevieE9

It's installed in FIVE KC Software programs not just one (RK optional is included in full setup buildsof KCleaner, VideoInspector, IDPhotoStudio, KFK and Ignition.)
    And that continues today 3 weeks later and NO CHANGE in the install windows.

8. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

downloaded the lite version......... RK is still included...

9. ThunderZ

o_O? What was the original file size of your d\l ?

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is another classic example of just how tight a wire some are led to go out on just to attract compensation, because what other reason could possibly been behind a move like this just when most followers/users of this app were about all on board with compliments and assistance with their own ideas. I know it doesn't pay the bills to offer free products, but it's a great method to bring attention to the other retail programs, but certainly not bundling junk in any of them. That's a 100% guaranteed way to give away all those other great programming efforts known as the the farm over to the wolves to devour simply put so they see to it nothing ever really comes from all the work that went into it to begin with.

The wolf is always at the door, the key is how quick you are to run them off and keep them away.

11. bryanjoe

hi there.... the website indicate 1200kb...
    but the file is 1425kb.... same as the old version in my pc...

12. ThunderZ

As stated in this post there is over a 33% size difference in the 2 packages, full vs. lite.
    Not doubting you, I d\l`d, did not install the lite vers. yet. You are saying you have installed the lite vers. and it did (attempt to) install RK ?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  13. bryanjoe

the version i download allows user select yes/no for RK...
    is this consider the lite version?

but as quoted by Kyle_Katarn....

14. ThunderZ

Allowed the install to run up to the point of creating desktop shortcut, quick launch, etc. No sign of RK. At what point did the accept refuse option come up?

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Unless he fully gets rid of that lousy bundle i see this topic going down eventually to full defeat and ending permanantly CLOSED!

16. norky

norky Registered Member

with all the other cleaning programs out there, it's just easier to avoid this app entirely.

17. StevieE9

Yes I agree. 'CCleaner' is much better in any case, so is ATF Cleaner. Even the now out of development 'Clean Cache 3.5' is miles better.

18. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Your reputation and software will be scratched forever if you stick with RelevantKnowledge-bundled apps. "Some efforts" isn't enough to save your reputation.

My final advice: remove RK, do it now.

Regards,

Smokey

19. StevieE9

Totally agree smokey - it is the only way Kyle will salvage his reputation and his products.

20. StevieE9

On 19 November Kyle Katarn made a further promise, on MajorGeeks Forums, to list separately on his site's download page those programs that contained the RK Knowledge Spyware program, and that this would be done by the end of the week. I personally understand that to have meant the end of a working week, either Friday or Saturday - but even so here we are at SUNDAY and he still hasn't done it.
    And some trusting people wonder why some of us didn't believe his promises from a month ago (unfulfilled) when he doesn't even fulfil a promise he gave 4 days ago with his *own* time limit:

His promise:

"11-19-08, 19:30
    Kyle_Katarn

Default Re: Watch OUT with Kyle Katarn's software !

Listing the "sponsored" programs separately is a good compromise.

I'll implement this by the end of the week. Is this good enough ?"

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=173108

And this is his downloads page - no different:
    http://img368.imageshack.us/my.php?image=97836552kr4.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  21. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I think i'll just stay away from this,thanks.

22. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

You're wrong :
    - Your topic at Major Geeks has been closed by its admins because of your being too rude
    - My download page has been updated and now has a "sponsored software" section. Check it out by yourselves instead of realying on an outdated screenshot.... : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?download

Good night everyone ;)

23. StevieE9

Yes Kyle - you changed it late this evening some 20 minutes AFTER you were sent messages asking when you were going to do it.

So please don't pretend you did something without being constantly prodded and pressured to do what YOU offered.
    No one asked you to make the promise to do it by the end of the week - you offered that.
    And you *ONLY* offered that after several users asked you to list them separately, it was NEVER your idea.

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Theres a simple remedy to this Kyle, just cancel completely RK Knowledge Spyware program and move forward with pure programs unbundled by anything.
    The least you could do if you have a need to bundle is to openly offer to accept or deny a choice of the Yahoo or google toolbar.

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

This is going nowhere and getting more off topic by the day. I think the point has been made, Kcleaner MIGHT have bundled crapware: BEWARE!! Nuff said?

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.