Matousec - Leak-testing update

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MaB69, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

They certainly do, and quite speedy I might add. :)

OA just gets better and better.

2. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I couldnt agree more. OA have now become cornerstone of my set up. All the firewalss i have tried . OA has been easiest to use and set up.....top of it all it gives you excellent protection.:thumb:

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I have used Comodo 2.3 and it worked good. I waited a bit after the release of 2.4 to install it and immediately had problems. I had to uninstall and reinstall it twice before getting it to work. I personally don't think it was ever finished. I had to do reboots to get it to 'straighten up' and work correctly. Other than that, it worked fine here. I'm now running OA2 and I really like it and it's simple to use and understand. The program has proven very solid and stable. The team has really worked hard and continues to improve the program. It's really good to see OA2 do well on the tests. It is another valuable layer in my 'suite' of programs and hardware.

Cheers, innerpeace

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I must agree about OA, the ease of use and the "feel safe" factor are first class, also the developer's feedback.

5. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Funny how many people are against comodo even though its free. It may have bugs and handles its rules weirdly but look how far it has gotten in such a short time and its free! I am a person who likes to see a firewall pass leaktests but would not pay money for a firewall. If comodo was payware than i would use jetico but its not. Anyone also notice comodo is an ssl certificate company yet their firewall surpasses many other payware ones? That's a reason alone to not care about its bugs. It isn't dedicated on their firewall only like outpost.

I also believe online armour will surpass many other firewalls in the future. It is even nice they know to include kaspersky and not some crappy av like my ISP offers norton 2006 :mad: .

I hope some of you will try CPF3 in the future as many are loving it even in the alpha stages and it seems almost as powerful as online armour but for free.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Sorry, but to me free is the last criteria I consider. Performance and compatibility both come first. I've gone back several times and tried comodo stuff, and i just don't like it. No way I'd fool with one of their alpha's

7. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Will Matousec test a firewall requested/suggested by us? How does Matousec come up with a list of firewalls to test?

thanatos

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I sent a mail to them and they responded and said they have added my request on to-do list.

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I made some requests before such as testing oa and they were granted. So nice of them.

10. thanatos_theos

Thanks aigle and GES/POR! But how can I contact Matousec? Can anyone provide an email or contact info of Matousec?

thanatos

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

support@matousec.com

Attached Files:

12. thanatos_theos

Thanks aigle.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

:) U r welcome!

14. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I think this is not that easy. Other products just cannot afford be so annoying. What I'd say about Comodo is paranoia. After a week of use I was awfully tired of its popups. Then I discovered that with all this paranoia Comodo doesn't control basic things like homepage change. So any program can change IE homepage to anything and Comodo will allow IE to send it anywhere. But I was completely killed when after uninstall of Comodo I have lost my windows activation because "your hardware has changed". That is to say it was MS action pack activation that could work for years, but could be activated only during one year (which has just passed). I can't say how angry I was.

15. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I agree 110%!

16. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

About Comodo Firewall,

I think a lot of users forget that before "switching" firewalls of any kind one should ascertain that the system is not compromised in some way. i.e. Look for OS updates then, cleanup, defragment and scan for spyware and viruses. Not doing so before replacing your firewall is taking some rather large risks of trouble during the install and aftermath...

Mostly considering that some firewalls are now asking all kinds of questions about applications loading into memory and most users having no idea what they are answering then making decisions that literally jam the system up.

Blaming security tools for user ignorance is a superior mistake happening far too often..

17. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Agreed! What one person calls "routine", another person calls "obsessive"! Live and learn...

18. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

To Emphasise my comment that Leaktests give no value whatsoever,and are just a placebo to scare users into thinking thay are worse off ...The fact is this Matousec have repeated themselfs with each and very consecutive test by just moving product names up and down like a Yo-Yo, there has been no significant difference between results in several months :cautious:

19. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Maybe Matousec should work in the housing or stock market! I just get so tired of these scare tactics and everyone having fights over some silly tests! It's like John Wayne and Bruce Willis duking it out for bragging rights!

I would bet that the average computer user will never experience these dire attacks while surfing the net. Make sure you are all patched up, have good antivirus/firewall and use something like Sandboxie.

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

They DONT! they offer no resisatance, and Anyway as I said before Professional Hackers arnt interested in Joe Blow :cautious: .

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
  21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree 1000%

22. Hermescomputers

This is unreal...

Personally I like having someone take the time to test and provide the results. Only thing is to ascertain the objectivity and reliability of those tests. Besides stimulating competition is always a good thing, could anyone imagine every firewall or any other products for that matter being exactly the same with no incentive to improve?

Nope? I didn't thing so.

Go Matousec! Go!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  23. omegakilo

omegakilo Guest

Is "Ghost Security Suite [BETA] 1.110" suppose to be GhostWall?

P.S I don't know why Matousec always tests "Windows Firewall XP SP2", since we already know it's always the last...
    Trying to make Microsoft miserable?

24. Hermescomputers

I think you are confusing a firewall with an anti spyware alex_s. Asking the firewall to monitor browser hijackers is a bit much in my opinion since there are way to many methods to do it and none of them include "Breaching" the firewall. In fact these weaknesses are inherent to your web browser or perhaps the
    "Duh" I clicked the button on the web page or the email attachment moment... Again not a firewall breach but perhaps a sheer moment of stupidity...

Which is why I like those firewall requests making you think about the programs asking for hidden background network access...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  25. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Background requests like "A program trying to change your homepage in IE to http://nasty.com/?name=fred&creditcard=777777777?expires=0709" for example?

Alex_s example was one more leaktest. The line between HIPS/Personal Firewall is blurring... (in fact, by Matousec's methodology, a personal firewall ain't just about the packets)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.