Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Aug 3, 2016.

1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Understood :)

2. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Never heard of this before. Will have a look at this!

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

4. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

This was off the top of my head. I didn't want to use Disk Cleanup's interface with an already big whopper on it. Maybe it was OK to keep running it, maybe not. Just being cautious is all.

5. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Interesting, yes, it does. Kinda. :) At least it further confirms a bona fide glitch. Better not happen again.

Edit: While running AM to clean/repair whatever, I didn't notice any undue disk activity, just regular. If someone has the yen for it, try clearing the disk via AM and see if Disk Cleanup exe goes crazy for an extended length of time.. Woo-hoo!

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've just replaced the Start Menu on my main laptop with Classic Shell. Even with the Anniversary Update, the Start Menu is problematic on this one computer. Sometimes newly installed software does not show in the Start Menu. Since I've found no way to fix this, I switched to a working Start Menu. As I've posted here before, you can move the Start Menu shortcuts elsewhere, and then move them back. However, this, is only a temporary fix, and needs to be repeated when you add new software that doesn't appear in the Start Menu.

I'm running Windows 10 a number of computers, and this is the only one I have problems with. I'll be sticking with the Windows Start Menu on the other computers because I like it a lot and prefer it to all of the Start Menu replacements (I think I've tried them all), and I really miss not having tiles when using Classic Shell.

Another annoyance with the Windows 10 Start Menu, is that when you search for apps, and a number of apps are found, it does not show them all.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Windows Photo Viewer.PNG Windows Photos.PNG I have a question indirectly related to to Windows 10: Using Win 8/8.1 the default viewer for photographs was "Windows Photo Viewer", which is no longer available even as an option with Windows 10 whose default viewer is "Photos" (see attachments).

I definitively prefer "Windows Photo Viewer" but cannot find a way to use it in Windows 10, although when I transfer photos created in Windows 8 from a USB drive to my Win 10 machines, the option to open them with "Windows Photo Viewer" is available.

Is there a way to use "Windows Photo Viewer" as default/option in Win 10?
    EDIT: Actually I found a solution here, if anybody is interested:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/225844/how...ewer-your-default-image-viewer-on-windows-10/

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Update KB3199209 installed, no reboot required.

9. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Huh? This kb3199209 slipped right under my radar and installed itself--on 10/17 yet. A "servicing stack" update. Perfect. Yes by all means, Microsoft, barge in unannounced any old time and install some mystery thing, help yourself. Outrageous! Did anyone see this one coming beforehand?

10. anon

anon Registered Member

11. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Thank you, anon.

Is anyone aware of the Windows System Assessment Tool still running on Windows 10? I happened to run Automatic Maintenance and noticed my CPU skyrocketing. WinSAT (who?) was the culprit. OK, hunted down the files in %systemroot%/Performance and voila! All the goods on my system. Interesting. If anyone is interested in running it for their WEI scores, the how-to is on page two of this link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...g/d5702812-a814-4912-9d10-5c3c77187378?page=2

Just to say: the files open in Internet Explorer. :cautious:

12. guest

guest Guest

You can use third-party tools for viewing/recalculating the score instead of typing commands on the console ;)
    If you don't want windows to re-calculate the score each day you can disable the specific WinSAT-Task.

13. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

mood:

I didn't know what this was initially and it's not listed in Task Scheduler. If you run Automatic Maint. just for the heck of it, it can just show up spontaneously and you see its effects on your CPU if you have task manager open. Wait a minute, 90% CPU, that's not DISM or whatever! Do you see the value of the scores anyway?-- it can actually be kind of a bummer if you were hoping for high scores and didn't "achieve" them. :'(

14. guest

guest Guest

I'm using Windows 8 and i'm able to see the scores (it's a setting in the control panel) but this was removed in Win8.1+
    (WinSAT = Window System Assessment Tool)
    The task should be there (execute the Task Scheduler with Administrator-rights) - Task Scheduler Library - Microsoft - Windows - Maintenance - WinSAT

15. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Went to check for Defender def. updates and once again we have the download of Patch Tuesday stuff on a Friday. Cumulative update kb3197954 is stuck on 78% download for ? long. Is "Patch Tuesday" still relevant? I can understand the mad rush to update flash player, but Windows? :cautious:

16. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Didn't they say that with Windows 10 there was no more Patch Tuesday, or something like that?

17. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Krusty:

I don't know but it sure doesn't seem to be limited to 2nd Tuesdays anymore. On one hand It makes sense to do away with a rigid update schedule. It's just that seeing how Windows updates can hamper/impair the computer's normal function, you'd be better prepared if you saw them coming, ie: having updates arrive on a specific day. Guess that's not feasible any longer.

PS: Again getting the 3.99 TB in Windows Update Cleanup/Disk Cleanup.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2016
  18. anon

anon Registered Member

#12 & #13 =
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...cations-for-october-2016.389031/#post-2627408
    ------
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/adobe-security-bulletins.334634/page-12#post-2627162

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've just received the same updates although I had no problems on two machines.

20. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Updates seemed to stall at times but eventually made it.

''Configuring'' took quite a while.

21. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

There is too much anxiety and paranoia about Windows 10 updates. They are designed to operate in background, if the download doesn´t finish today, it will possibly finish tomorrow. Does it matter? And you can turn the computer off, the download will resume after the next reboot.

22. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

In my above case, I had remnants of Intel junk (network adapter/Rapid Store) interfering with the update process and boot/reboot, and didn't even know it. I thought I whacked all the stuff :ninja: The machine almost didn't restart and when it did, the lockscreen would load and that's it. No desktop. I think updates have become something more to be dreaded to a lot more people than before. At least when you have a set date for this, like I said, you can prepare accordingly.

Thanks, anon, for update info.

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

No anxiety or paranoia on my part about Win Updates at all Robin.

Just passing on my own experience with this update which was happening as I did the ironing :)

24. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes, it was a general comment. I shouldn´t have quoted you.

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i have update to anniversary update , but i had to restore an image to prior to anniversary update ,because the programs i paid for don't work perfectly
    and they haven't updated their software yet

may i ask a question ? is there a way to update only Adobe Flash Player for windows 10 pro 64bit for edge and explorer ?
    is there a way to download it from the catalog?
    thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.