Whoo Hooo!!! Vista Rocks!!!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

That $200 Windows XP service pack called Vista (Cnet) Robert Vamosi Senior editor

study up then dump it ;)

its worth readying the rest of the article

you also didnt mention if its 64bit
    but thought this might be of interest it has been "revitalized" of late

By Passing PatchGuard on Windows x64
    with several BILLION dollars on the line malware syndicates are rather well motivated. This move is again a licensing restriction, breaking into the kernel isnt that difficult, getting a license for an ap to do it is.

Security vendor circumvents Windows Vista's Patchguard
    Researcher says PatchGuard changes helped Microsoft
    Its all about the money

Patchguard of course breaks all current HIPS, this is a move to tie all security firms to Microsoft and lockout independents, it also paves the way for them to enter the market (more than they have). This trend and many of the "features" and "enhancements" taken in the context of the marketing, amounts to a bait and switch for the average user who benefits not a whit long term, but has to upgrade their little hearts out to consume more resources for very little added utility value, power users get more value, enterprise quite a lot.

we also get

Green Party asks: who has the key to your Vista PC?

and of course (the ongoing and updated)
    A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

another example of the strong arm trend in licensing revenue under the guise of security

article
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12314

commentary of article
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

havent even touched on the standards issue lets see...

Microsoft Vista violates EU's former ruling, rival IT firms allege

yep got to watch those commie bastard multinational corporations like Nokia and IBM :p
    I spot a trend of greed here.

quite a long post only indirectly mentioning the worse offense
    DRM

think my sig is rather catchy :p

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Here you go aigle my specs as requested :)

PS-0264 Enhanced Intel 460w EPS Power Suply
    GA-8i925X-G925 Chipset Audio/Lan/Serial ATA To Suit LGA775
    BX80547PG3600E P4 3.62Ghz Prescott LGA775
    KVR533 DZNYKZ 4x1Gb DDR533 DDR2 Kingston
    ATI-Redeon G-Cube X800XT 256MB PCI-Express VID Card
    HDD-1614C SAMSUNG SATA 7200RPM
    PIO-DVR 108BKSW Pioneer 108SW 16x DVD Burner-Dual Layer
    Liteon CDR 52x32x52
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS PCI Sound Card
    Z-680THZ Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
    Samsung Sync Master 193P 19" LCD monitor

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also appreciate MS hardwork, and Bill Gates as a great American.
    But 750 $ is too expensive, and I wonder how much more that will levy prices of new computers coming with Vista.

4. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

The link in IceCzar's post about VISTA being a Service Pack for XP is shocking. I actually had started a thread about just that column. The article from CNet is a MUST-READ. Basically, it's saying that providing the best security at only the highest price Vista is just plain wrong. If they're serious about security, the most basic package should contain ALL security features, No-brainer.
    Here's the thread where we are discussing that column.

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Free ramble on:
    As much as anything in the current environment, and I mean environment, that alone is a devastating indictment.

The last para: dont know whether to laugh or cry.

It's gone far beyond " a better OS" and into the realm of control.
    Control of what you can see, what you can do, who controls the flow of information: who owns your household.
    What you can watch and how much you will have no choice but to pay.
    No carrot I can see. Couple of flashy animations :p
    Just The big stick.

There has never been any consumer product with the overwhelming power of MS. While I applaud the massive effort that goes into creating the OS...

There is no agency on the planet that can control MS

Why are all the HW and SW producers behind ?? MS made it so.
    Why will we all have to pay $$$$ to get upgrades to even MS softs??

All you guys with 512mb 40G and PII: forget it.
    Get ready to cough up $000's to make a jump ahead to be maybe futureproofed. ??

The much vaunted Patch Guard afaics will be shown to be another smoke and mirrors mirage, but in the meantime we will all struggle on because we have no choice really. The code is being dismembered as we speak. There will be no change to the basics.

All the recent posturing by MS showing concern about users issues: all just play acting to obscure what a nightmare Vista is/will become.

With all the now exposed built in "protections" "tweaks" "graphics issues' "HW needs" "overheads" etc , all for our benefits (!) how can this be a good thing.

Could go on but just the disjointed ramblings of a know nothing spot in the MS tarpits.

6. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

No doubt windows vista has improved a lot but the hardware requirements can empty the pocket besides the price of vista itself. It is better to buy a pc that has vista installed or a PC with upto date hardware to accomdate vista.

This is how i see vista for now
    UAC(user account control)- XP with HIPS.
    Bit locker drive encryption- Most business line PC have this feature in one form or another. (Correct me if i am wrong)
    Aero 3D- This is the matter of personal choice. Eventually we need a system that does what we need not just look pretty.
    Search, Gadget bar and photo- We have enough software available in the market that does the same thing

Isn't the price of vista ultimate is US $400 not $750.

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

The others have replied, you just have to pay attention:

My thread that noone replied...

The article...
    by John C. Dvorak

Pay attention to these movements:p

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Follow the link to the video on page 2. "Play Video".
    Interesting discussion.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

It Might be $400 in the US but in Australia its $745 :blink:

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can anybody tell how much space in takes on HD( Home premium)?

12. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I guess, about 5 GB. Vista Starter takes almost 4 GB & Ultimate 6 GB (just Windows Folder).

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So not too much.

14. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I am thinking that when Windows XP was released ppl used to say the same as now for Windows Vista that it was not as good etc..

Do u think once sp1 is out for Vista it will become much more stable and better etc...

As before XP used to get really bashed and now that there is a new operating system well it doesn't get as bashed :D

15. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

yep your right, and now as then you can almost bet your house that it's getting bashed by people who have had nothing to do with it except to read what "they" say about it.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well for me the thread title would be Whoo Hooo!! Vista Sucks!!!

I want an Operating System to operate the system and run what I want to run. Period. I did an upgrade install(why have it if it's a bad idea) to just evaluate it, since I haven't tried it since RC 1. Frankly I find it stupid after spending almost 10 minutes checking my system for compatibility, and making me uninstall Nero Rom(which I did). Okay so after 2 hours upgrading I am up an running, and confront with the wonderful news that the only software on my system Vista recognizes is Microsoft Office. Duh. To run the rest I will have to change it from not permitted to permitted. This is just totally stupid.

It took me about a fourth of the time the time it would have taken to give everything permission to restore the XP Pro image.

As I said I want the operating system to operate the system. I had no trouble or hesitation to switch to XP. But this is stupidity in my opinion.

17. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Couldn't agree more. By the time XP is no longer supported, i and many others here i'm sure, will be using other OS's.

18. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have only been using Vista for four hours after I installed it last night at home. So far I am impressed with it. To me it runs about the same speed as XP. It has come a looooong way from Beta 1 which was my last experience with Vista.

Just some minor annoyances mainly with the Creative drivers and (as stated above) HP hasn't any yet but can be worked around using Windows programs.

19. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Darn right I'll listen to what "they" say about it! I certainly am not going to run out and buy something blindly. Listen to Peter above and what he's gone through. I'm going to listen to Peter and others - yes I will. Sometimes, "they" know what they're talking about!

20. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

Thank you you make my point for me, RC1 was known to be broken and was replaced in a matter of days with version 5728 which got rid of just about all the problems and by the time RC2 came out it was running reasonably well for a beta , let me repeat that "BETA" version, anybody doing any testing would have known that. No burning software, Nero included, worked with vista at that stage, now the manufacturers have brought out new versions that do, well at least Nero and NTI both have I can't speak for the others. As for vista only recognizing Microsoft Office on Peter's computer I find hard to believe unless of coarse he was running some pretty dodgy programs. As for the remarks like "To run the rest I will have to change it from not permitted to permitted. This is just totally stupid." I seriously can't believe I'm reading this, those of us that have been running Processgaurd have been doing that for years and find it one of the best security measures on our computers to stop rogue programs running, I fail to see how this is a bad thing.
    I'm sorry but "This is just totally stupid". & " But this is stupidity in my opinion" are technical terms that I'm not up with.
    IMHO

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

So at least share what Vista provides you that is so much better. I've read features, but i need users to say what they found that was so special.
    What was worth all the money.

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Did you know that ALL Versions of Vista are on One Disc, from Basic Upwards? you just need the appropriate Key to install whatever version you have, no need for buying more disks. I found this out when I tried a RTM version before buying my current one key lets you install any version, and you just install your legal key afterwards :D

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Dodgy programs. Like Intuit's Quickbooks, and all of the Scansoft/Nuance programs. These are well known business apps. Also yes I ran ProcessGuard, and now run SSM and OA. OA uses a whitelist, and both ProcessGuard and SSM are programs I, let me repeat I choose to use. Also they give me the option of clicking my way thru, or using a learning mode on a system I know to be clean. Again it is my choice. But with the new Vista, I had no choice.

Again I will say it, I want the operating system to operate not make choices for me. Don't get me wrong, I've used Microsoft OS's since DOS 3.1, and I use and like Microsoft Office 2003. But I want their tools to help me work the way I want to. What I don't want is them making the decisions on what I can or can't do, and how I do it.

Pete

24. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@strangequark

Why not detail why you are thinking Vista is a good thing
    What do you like about it?
    What new features will serve us all?
    What are the advantages about installing?

What systems config have you tested it on?

What were the problems if any?

Regards :)

25. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i heard that. if you only have a licence for the basic version you can run the most expensive one for a month or so.

i think in about a year the 64-bit version might be quite good if it all works out how it's suppose to. i really like linux though so i don't think i'll use it. although i read you can easily charge £60 an hour (or even alot more :cool:) cleaning malware and securing PCs so i might learn how to read HT logs and start fixing PCs :D if i do that i'll get vista to learn how it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.