The TRUTH about Vista & Security

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Genady Prishnikov, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

This is a MUST-READ!
    And so very true.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6689143-1.html?tag=nl.e501

His point about Microsoft bragging about security, yet, providing it all to only the most expensive version says a lot. If Microsoft was truly interested in, "the most secure operating system," they would load up the most basic version with ALL the security Microsoft could throw at it.

The column is an excellent review by CNet's Matthew Elliott of Vista's security.

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

If only the 750 million Windows users worldwide ignored Windows Vista. ;)

3. Genady Prishnikov

Wouldn't that be something? The problem is Vista is pre-loaded on all the new retail boxes. This column really has me riled. How can Microsoft brag about the "most secure operating system ever," while providing OS security in price tiers. I agree with the columnist. The base OS should be secured as much as it can be secured and security shouldn't be tiered. Basically, it's a backdoor way of profiting off the base Operating System's lack of security!

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

"the most secure microsoft operating system ever"
    its not the most secure operating system:D
    they word it so it sounds good but covers them at the same time.
    lodore

5. Genady Prishnikov

The fact they leave off security features with the basic versions PROVE that they are not concerned with security, and you are right, that is how they word it. Very clever.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Exactly.They say that security is the most important, but the thruth is that they only want your money.o_O

7. jparker81

jparker81 Registered Member

I just joined this forum to find out more about vista security. I bought the basic version for my other computer and after booting up I discovered I needed the pricier version for more security. I read the article linked in the original post and can't believe microsoft is getting away with this. Pay more for any other features seem fine, but make us pay to get an operating system with better SECURITY? That's just wrong. I agree that the basic version should at least be just as SECURE!

~~julie~~

8. Genady Prishnikov

Welcome to Wilders, Julie!

You are exactly right. I cannot believe that this aspect of Vista is not getting more attention. The bells and whistles mean nothing if it's not secured as completely as possible. But no, Microsoft wants to protect their OS with pricing tiers. That is not only wrong, it is abominable. The Mac is looking better every day, especially since you can now easily run Windows (for those 'can't get rid of' programs) with the new Intel processsors.

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

When i finally select my PC Manufacturer this Spring and it happens to have a copy of Vista on it? When i get home i'll straightway format it and instead install my Super-Customized Super-Secure Windows XP-Professional.

I been running Vista like transparencies/graphical candy since 98SE. Does anyone recall an application named Mandotate among others? Google for it if not. It's a very nice & stable 3-D explorer windows enhancement for 98/Me/Nt/2000/XP that closely mimics Scroll 3-D in Vista, that's been years ago. There are a ton of others and many that Vista will never have, that is unless someone adds these customizations themselves. :cool:

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Are not Enhanced Authentication Model or Network Access Protection usefull only if a computer is part of a domain? As for EFS, at least people do not have to be afraid of ransomware. Well as for me, I have just moved to the Home Basic version, after using Vista Ultimate for 2 months.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  11. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

make sure to get some of your money back ;)

How to get a Windows tax refund

useful even if your just going to reinstall a retail CD license of XP
    which would really twist their panties (this guy isnt a Linux nut? Maybe Vista is a pig in a poke)

attack the will :D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.