Virus Removal, HELP

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Foxxy, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxxy

Foxxy Registered Member

Is there ANY hope i could get rid of some spyware without formating?
    To be specific i got Gator, Onflow and possibly a couple more im not aware of.

However, the most annoying is SmartSearch. Ive tried everything i know, and it doesnt wanna go away!
    Everytime i open IExplorer, it automatically loads, everytime i try to remove the URL it finds its way back in there.
    Ive tried the following Spyware killers:

**SpyBot S&D
    **AdAware
    **HiJack This
    **CW Shredder
    **manually tried to remove it from regedit without any succes
    So far, the problem is still here. Has anyone elese had this problem? If so, how did you remove it? Some help on this matter would be great

PS>> I'm a bit of a computer idiot at times, so if you need any information please be specific

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Foxxy, and welcome to Wilders.

SmartSearch is a variant of CoolWebSearch and can be difficult to remove. You may want to check and make sure you are using the most recent version of CWShredder, AdAware SE, and Spybot Search&Destroy. Then try running the programs again while in safe mode: How to start the computer in Safe mode, then run each program again in normal mode until nothing else is shown as needing removed.

Both Gator and Onflow can be uninstalled through the "Add/Remove Programs" in Windows. But here are some instructions that will also help with that:
    Gator Removal Instructions and Help
    Onflow Removal

If after running Adaware, Spybot, CWShredder and your antivirus program, you still find your computer infected, then you will need to have someone look at your HijackThis log for a more indepth analysis, and instructions given for manual removal of the infection. This is actually the best step you can take given that some of the newer variants of CoolWebSearch are extremely difficult to remove.

As mentioned in our Announcement, Wilders no longer does HijackThis log analysis, but you will find a link in the Announcement post to a list of forums that do offer HijackThis log analysis and system cleaning.

Whichever site you choose to go to, please be sure and read their forum FAQ's and follow their posting policy before you post your hijackthis log.

Let us know how you make out. :)

Regards,

snap

Note: - since this is more related to spyware rather than a virus, I will be moving this thread to the Privacy Problems forum shortly. There will be a clickable "moved" placeholder left behind, so you will be able to click on it and it will take you to the new location of your thread. (Done)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  3. Foxxy

Foxxy Registered Member

SmartSearch is still here, ive downloaded the lates version of those spyware killers and nothing seems to help. Any other advice please?? SmartSearch makes me sick.
    Gator does not appear in my Add/Remove Programs, does that mean it's not present on the computer?
    I have deleted all OnFlow and TimeSink keys from regedit and then rebooted immediatelly. Will they automatically load again? Or does this mean they are gone for good?

4. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Foxxy,

With Gator, there also comes GAIN, which requires a different means to uninstall. You will find that information further down on the page in the link I posted above for removing Gator. Since Gator and Gain usually comes with a program you installed (and they are part of the agreement to have them install with that program), they are considered user's choice, so not all parts of Gator or Gain will be flagged by the spyware removal programs.

As for the SearchSmart removal, I would now advise that you do follow up with having a HijackThis log analysis done by a spyware expert at one of the sites that do this type of system cleaning and analysis. Here is the link where you can find a list of sites: http://a-sap.org/

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.