Update For MRU Blaster

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by Genady Prishnikov, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

The last thread that asked this was so old I couldn't even respond.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=138613
    It said the thread was too old and to start a new one. So...

It has been a few years, the last time over a year ago, when you said you were working on an all new MRU-Blaster. Some have said this project is dead because the database hasn't been updated in almost four years. What is the status? Honestly. I have enjoyed the program and think it's great, but there have been many new programs to put all new MRU's in the registry. It is now very out of date, it still gets most of the Windows stuff, but it's way past due for additions to the database. I appreciate it being free, but I also believe there is a responsibility once something has been released to the public, for the developers to level with its users, free or paid. Thanks, Javacool!

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

We're currently working hard on a brand-new version of SpywareBlaster, which we hope to have available soon. Once that's available, we'll be able to devote more resources to MRU-Blaster development.

Simply put: A new version of MRU-Blaster is coming. It won't be tomorrow, as it's a complete rewrite, but it's coming. And I truly believe it'll be worth the wait. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. Doctor_Who

Doctor_Who Registered Member

I'm always amazed at the number of top-notch programmers that post their efforts on the internet for a FREE download. And then the number of people that complain about it. o_O

Even though there are a number of great (FREE) programs that remove MRU's, I still love "MRU Blaster" for its ability to run from my Startup folder and knock off those little devils (MRU's) without any help or assistance from me, on every boot-up. It's just one more little program to help me keep my HD clean and mean and running efficiently.

If there's ever an update to it, that's great, but if not, I've enjoyed the heck out of the version I have and will continue to use it wherever possible, for as long as possible.

Thank You Javacool!

The Doctor :cool:

4. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I'll second that Doctor_Who!These little programs are effective and free.Thanks from me also javacool.:thumb: ;)

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Still, it is nice to know the new software update hasn't been canceled, and a timeframe of over 2 years should be explained that includes freeware. It is definitely not whining, Genady Prishnikov just asked for a possible time frame.

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I agree Carver. He wasn't whining at all. It was a legitimate question and I think Javacool himself took it that way. I came here looking for news on an update and was also glad to see the plans are still on.

7. steje

steje Registered Member

New to posting in these forums, and not trying to start trouble... just post an opinion.

I don't think anyone whined or complained... but when you start throwing around ideas that developers who give useful software away for free have any sort of "responsibility" to provide updates, or because a long time has gone by without an update that they should "explain themselves"... well, that's just presumptuous. They really don't owe anyone anything...

Anyhow... like the rest of you, I welcome the news up a possible new update to MRU-B. I've tried various other utils like CCleaner and UltraSentry, and like others on this forum, find that a multi-app approach works best. Another recent post mentioned how after running MRU-B, running Ad-Aware still found stuff afterwards. And just the same as another responder, I find that even after FIRST running some of the newer programs, MRU-B in its crusty old NON-updated glory still often finds LOTS of entries the other apps haven't deleted (depending on how long since my last cleansing, it can still find a SIGNIFICANT number of MRU's).

Anyhow, some of the more recent apps actually let you add custom locations to clean info from both the file system AND registry... so while we wait for developers to update their databases to allow their apps to delete data we might or might NOT even have on each of our individual systems... responsibility for a clean system 'starts at home' and can be helped by some personal investigation of ones own system.

'woof

8. win9x

win9x Registered Member

There is (unfortunately) quite amount of perfect applications, which are no longer updated (for example powergrab, volkov commander, proxyhunter, etc). And that's a great shame. Authors of such apps were asked many times to make their programs open source, which they refused. They rather let their programs die :-(

The code or MRU-B is Javacool's property, so it's their decision, but imho it would be great, if they can make available at least the list of MRUs, or best the source and the program could take the second breathe... ;-)

I'm not complaining, it's free, but every author of dead app claims that he is working hard on new version, sometimes posts a reply, but that's all. After several years it's still at the same pont, but the program is getting forgotten.

9. nagan

nagan Registered Member

There is another software SpywareGuard like MRU-B which is obsolete.The definition being 22/1/04. Javacool should not list such outdated softwares as they are misleading and pretend to compete with the latest softwares.This is not whining but genuine talk which Javacool need to take in the right spirit.Even though the softwares are free they need to be updated as they have to be upto date.

10. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

The current version of MRU-Blaster is just as effective as the day it was released - it still detects over 30,000 MRUs, used in both Windows and all other kinds of programs. What it doesn't have is the ability to detect MRUs for programs released after the last database update. But that doesn't remove its continued effectiveness at doing the job it was built to do, and, as said above, a new version is actively being worked on. :)

Regarding SpywareGuard - while also being extended about as much as possible without a complete rewrite, it is still useful. Please see this knowledgebase article for more details.

Best regards,

-Javacool

11. nagan

nagan Registered Member

Thanx for the reply!

Thanks for the reply Mr Javacool.Just as I(we) have mentioned earlier they are mere inputs to make the great softwares from your end to be trendy and advanced.Thats all! You may set up dates (for upgrades) for the same in this forum and challenge yourselves to it.Wish You all the best!

12. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I think MRU Blaster is a great program.

But how long is "soon"? It's been more than half a year.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.