MRU-Blaster going to be updated?

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by spy1, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Javacool - Are you still planning on working on new versions, adding to the mru-cleaning lists, etc. ?

The "Database Date" I've got here is from 03/28/04, 30,345 items? Pete

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

There is indeed a new version of MRU-Blaster in development, but it's a complete re-design (including the scanning/cleaning engines) so it's taking a little longer than most projects.

I may release a refresh of the current release with a new database, if time permits (but no guarantees).

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Okay - thanks! Pete

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Another six months, since Spy1's post, goes by without a Database Update.
    Javacool, we love your products, but March of 2004 was the last update. In another couple of months, it will have been three years.

Could you tell us the future of MRU Blaster? Three years is a LONG time without new additions to the database of MRU items. I know, I know, it's free. I can't tell you how much it's appreciated, but for almost two years you have been saying you might update the database. Once you wrote that an update was probably just a few weeks away. Could you be honest with your plans and maybe offer a timetable or goals for MRU Blaster?

Thanks Javacool and good luck!

5. chrisdab

chrisdab Registered Member

You want to help him develop it? You willing to work for free?

6. GWA

GWA Registered Member

This is the reason, I believe, a lot of well-meaning and reasonable persons probably don't more frequently post comments on forums and choose to lurk instead. Gerard's post is not a problem post, and it, frankly, is a question that needed to be brought forth. Just my opinion. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  7. Togg

Togg Registered Member

Nobody is entitled to hassle the creator/supplier of free software, particularly not in the terms used by Gerard. If you don't want to wait for an update the answer's simple, use one of the other free or paid for programs that do much the same thing as MRU Blaster.

I use two Javacool products (and made a fairly small donation for them), but I don't think that gives me the right to criticise him as to how, if, or when, he provides updates.

8. GWA

GWA Registered Member

On this point, I firmly agree with Togg: "If you don't want to wait for an update the answer's simple, use one of the other free or paid for programs that do much the same thing as MRU Blaster." So, that is what I did, a long time ago. Given the forum activity level, I suspect that is what a lot of others have done too... To be fair and balanced, I loved the program and I look forward to a new release, whenever that occurs.

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

The next version of MRU-Blaster is indeed in development, but I've "gone back to the drawing board" (so to speak) a few times, with the aim of making the end program more useful, more extendable, and more compatible (including with Windows Vista, which changed a thing or two ;)).

I typically don't give estimates on release dates, and although I'm not against making an exception or two to that rule, I think I would be remiss to do so in this circumstance - especially considering the goals and feature set continue to change and expand.

There will be a new release of MRU-Blaster. It is in active development. But, to be very honest, the current version of MRU-Blaster continues to do its job, for the items it covers (which are many major programs) very well - the program still does the job it did a year or even two years ago. There's just more potential upside for improvements in effectiveness - in this case, because there are always new programs that include MRUs that could be added to the database.

I had to make the hard choice, in this case, of continuing to add database updates to an aging codebase, or going back to the drawing board and re-writing the program from the ground up with more built-in room to easily expand. The nature of MRUs is that they are not an "active" threat, and so I chose the latter option to ensure that the long-term future of the product would be very bright.

I greatly appreciate the interest, and I don't mind the questions. I will continue to evaluate the rate of progress on the new version, versus any potential, quick near-term improvements I could make to the current version (i.e. a small database update) that would add new MRU coverage, or fix a few small bugs.

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. cleancomputing

cleancomputing Registered Member

Javacool--So, what is the status of the updated release? I use the product (running every 15 minutes supposedly), but it's missing a lot of registry spyware which ad-aware picks up when I get around to running that. thnx!

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I didn't think MRU-Blaster was designed to pick up spyware ? but simply supposed to remove reg references to "Most Recently Used" documents.

12. cleancomputing

cleancomputing Registered Member

Ad-aware seems to term MRUs "negligible" spyware. MRU-Blaster is leaving lots of these behind on my computer, which I'm removing with Ad-Aware.

13. yorlik

yorlik Registered Member

Thank you for your time and dedication to improving the Internet experience for all. I know how hard it is for me just to maintain my systems with installing, updating, and running all the various software tools necessary to ensure my systems are secure while in school full time, working, and raising a family.

I can only imagine what it must be like to develop this software. You deserve a thank you and much respect.

In regards to the last poster ....

I just completed running AdAware SE on another machine before running MRU-Blaster. It removed several MRU entries but when I ran MRU-Blaster it picked up ones missed by AdAware. This is a perfect example why we need to run more than one tool. They both catch things others miss. It is the nature of this battle.

D

14. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Is there any real danger in NOT removing MRUs ? or is it just like cookies that some people feel ill if they are left on their machine for longer than necessary ?

As far as I can tell there is little real benefit in removing either MRUs or cookies.

15. Doctor_Who

Doctor_Who Registered Member

Excuse me,
    I'm new to this forum, but definitely not new to the internet, computers or "MRU Blaster" etc.

Although MRU's are not viruses or trojans that should be immediately destroyed, like the vermin they are......MRU's constitute BLOAT! There is also the possiblilty that they may be exploited by some other piece of malware that's set up shop on your computer.

As Bloat, they fall into the same category as temp files or worse, "Temporary Internet Files". If they are allowed to collect on a HD unabated, they will eventually cause severe file overload and slow down many system functions, like virus scans or Defrags.

Personally, I'd just as soon not have them building up on my computer.
    I've written a batch file (XPCleanup.bat) to remove all garbage files on every system start, but I can't track down and remove all those little MRU's.
    Enter the Dragon, "MRU Blaster".

I've had MRU Blaster on my 'puter for as long as it's been available. I love it.
    What it missed, I always assume that AdAware SE/Personal will get.

I also use "Easy Cleaner" to remove "Unnecessary files" which include all those redundant "*.log" files.

God Bless, those with the knowledge and perseverance (diligence) to write FREEWARE to make our Computing Experience a little bit better.

I'm always glad to see it, when an author provides an update to his/her freeware package. Having written a few computer programs in the past, I know the time and effort that has to go into such an effort.

Many, Many thanks to you, "Javacool".:thumb:

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor :cool:

16. Doctor_Who

Doctor_Who Registered Member

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Ok, I'm embarassed!

I'm sitting here thinking how much I've always liked "MRU Blaster" and it all of a sudden hit me, that when I rebuilt my HD about two weeks ago, I didn't reinstall "MRU Blaster". I guess I was more concerned with the Heavy Hitters like my AV and AS software.

Well, it only took a few seconds to rectify that mistake. (shuddering)
    On the first scan, MRU Blaster found and removed 453 mru's.
    I run AdAware to remove mru's almost daily so these 453 were the ones that AdAware had missed.

Thanks again "Javacool" for your great little program.

Just one question......when I run SpywareBlaster on a PC with Office 2003, I get a window opening up from Word (usually) wanting to install something from the Office Install CD. Any fix for that?
    Apologies for going off topic, but this has created a huge problem with sharing that program with anyone using Office 2003.

Blessings,
    The Doctor :cool:

17. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=62175

If u have anymore enquires or concerns about SWB, feel free to start a new thread in the SpywareBlaster & Other Forum.

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.