Unable to remove VIRUS (please Help).

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Birdman, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

My friend's system has been hit with a virus and multiple KIS system scans has not been able to remove the virus. KIS did locate 1 virus in the "My Documents" folder but it said it was "disinfected."

The following problems are occuring:

Besides running a normal scan....can something else be done differently to remove this bugger from the system (besides formatting)?

Also any good tools/software recommended in this situation?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. sach1000rt

sach1000rt Registered Member

try scanning in safe mode.

3. Nubiatech

Nubiatech Registered Member

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic post removed.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

he could always try drwebs cureit, the new version has better removal (if it detects it ;) )

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

~snip~

failing that there are several online scanners such as Trend Micros House Call, which has worked for me in the past

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2007
  7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's a real toss-up anymore. It depends on "IF" one of those AV's can accurately identify the particular virus and if there are other variants of the same sort.

Sometimes it comes down to trying to salvage any programs not affected and wipe & reinstall and/or if it's a file infector, even the "BEST" av's don't always "clean" effectively enough i just found out recently. That leaves the only alternative of completely deleting the drive/partition then zeroing the disc before format & reinstall again.

I notice also some of the most recent viruses are wedging deeper into the drive, causing even some AV's to BSOD while they are trying to capture or repair the damaging intruder.

That's why its important to use a reliable IMAGING program against these potential intrusions. Then all you have to do is D-BAN the whole disk or partition and restore a "Clean" duplicated system to get back on-track again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.