The Symantec/Norton Thread.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Jan 21, 2015.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I disagree but all products will have their defenders as well. I am not a Norton hater, I still have almost 2 years left on my license. This is my only complaint with the product, but it has been ongoing for years as I stated previously. I've had it delete freshly downloaded Kaspersky and SmartFTP installers, without asking and without the possibility to restore, leaving me to have to disable Norton and download them again. They usually eventually catch up after said installer has been out for a couple of weeks or so. I've also had it delete files out of zip archives I have had that were not even executable files. All I want is to be prompted to remove the file and/or given the option to restore the file. It doesn't seem to much to ask, even if it were just an advanced optional setting.

2. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I'll flag this thread in case a "mother in law" update occurs. But I am curious as to the NS action you described. Tnx

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

no offense to anyone here but if any of you think for a minute that im jumping on any bandwagon and or trying to hoax anyone... think again. many of you know me from many years ago from here and many other forums. many know my backround, i will always be the first to admit when im wrong and will defend myself when i know otherwise.

just had to clear up what i wanted to say. again i did not mean to sound rude. i did say it was a RARE thing that this happened. BUT when it does what if that file is a major system file or one that is not replaceable..... who knows. and since i have seen it happen first hand i for one will not be the one who will take that chance with my files. plain and simple. i never tell anyone do not run norton its the worst av you can ever run. in fact i state its an excellent av with one caveat for me. honestly if i could set the option to FULLY ask it would be one of my top choices.

4. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So did Norton Security really defrag my SSD? If it did I'm quite upset! I did now go into scheduling and un-ticked the several tasks that "Optimization" does. Is that indeed, the only way to disable the Optimization feature? Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  5. 142395

142395 Guest

Norton is quite polished, light, and effective product w/out doubt but it's undoubted fact that they sometimes delete detected item and do not offer any restore option. If anyone still have suspect then I can show screenshot but I'm just lazy.

6. 142395

142395 Guest

It can tell your drive is SSD and doesn't defrag. But if you really care, disabling it won't harm anything as theoretically there may be bug or so (I don't like AV's "optimization" feature in any product. IMO that is not the AV's job.).

7. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

"I don't like AV's "optimization" feature in any product. IMO that is not the AV's job." Definitely agree!

8. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

It simply runs Windows' own optimization process, which means defragmentation for HDDs and trimming for SSDs. Beware that it can disable Windows' own schedule, so when you disable it in Norton, you need to enable it in Windows itself again, or else necessary maintenance won't happen automatically.

9. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Product Update - 21.7 of Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security & Norton 360

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

11. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member