SBS 2003 Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by neilw_uk, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neilw_uk

neilw_uk Registered Member

Hi,

I am trying to restore an image from one drive to another.

I am backing up fine and then removing the old HDD. I have added the new HDD which is larger and then booted from the acronis CD. I then select restore which creates the image successfully. When i boot i get a ntoskrnl.exe problem.

Any ideas why this is not working?

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

When ever I get an error report that I have not seen before I input it verbatim into Google search while I am waiting for answer from the usual support group.
    You could have a read of this while waiting for an expert answer.http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

Hope this helps.
    xpilot

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello neilw_uk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please clarify if you created the image of the entire hard drive or only system partition? Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took to restore the image in more details. Did you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or did you use Acronis True Image in Windows to create and to restore the image archive?

Please also note that in order to copy the entire contents of one disk drive to another we may recommend that you use Clone Disk toll of Acronis True Image. However, backup approach can also perform this task. You might also have a look at this previous post of mine about the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more detail.

Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems. This post also can be useful.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. neilw_uk

neilw_uk Registered Member

Thanks for the reply,

Clone dose not work for me. I get an error. I can remember what it says at the moment, but its not an option to clone Disk 0.

I have tried every possible way; in windows, using the boot CD etc.

Will acronis actually restore to a different HDD? I know sometimes if the HDD is not the same then problems can occur.

Any more advice?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello neilw_uk,

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Yes, Acronis True Image is capable of restoring disk\partition images to a replacement hard drives. If everything is done correctly there should not be any problems booting the restored operating system. However, there are two important aspects which should certainly be taken into account:

1. Please make sure that the new hard drive is of the same type as the old one and no additional drivers are required for Windows to work with the new disk. For example, if you move from IDE to SATA or SCSI drive or from a single hard drive to a RAID array there could be problems with booting the restored operating system.

In case of transferring the operating system to a different hardware we recommend that you prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation tool (Sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ Article. However, even in case of using Sysprep we cannot guarantee the successful transferring of the operating system to a computer with the hardware configuration different from that of the original machine. The point is that sysprep allows replacing drivers only for Plug-and-Play devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). As for system HAL and boot device driver, they must be identical in the source and target computers (see Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 302577 and 216915).

If you want to be completely sure that the restored operating system will boot and function normally then we recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation or Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows (depending on the operating system you use) in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. Please read more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in the respective Acronis True Image version User's Guide.

We also recommend that you download and install the free trial version(s) of the product(s) you are interested in to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal and provide the link to this thread in your request.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full versions of the products mentioned above. Note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

2. Please make sure that you restore the entire hard drive along with it's MBR.

In case of using version 8.0 of Acronis True Image, MBR is restored along with the entire hard drive only. If you use version 9.1 you can restore MBR selectively as version 9.1 includes MBR even in a single partition image.

If you do not have the image of the entire "old" hard drive, but the image a single system partition or partition assortment then we recommend that you re-create the same partition layout on the destination disk as it was on the original hard drive (the sizes of partitions can in fact be different but the quantity should be the same). We also recommend that you restore your system to the partition of the same number it was originally residing on. Otherwise, you will need to make the appropriate changes to your boot.ini file. Please see these previous threads for details: auto logoff problem, Re: Mr.

You can also try fixing the replacement hard drive's MBR either by booting the computer from Windows installation CD and issuing the 'fixmbr' command in Recovery Console or using one of the methods described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also take a look at the respective Microsoft Knowledge Base Article explaining the possible reasons and resolutions for the "ntoskrnl.exe problem".

If nothing of the above helps please perform Windows Repair Installation as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help either then please create Acronis Report in the following way:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer having the issue from this beforehand created diskette and wait for the report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please also let us know what exact version and build number of Acronis True Image you use.

You can find the full version name and build number either by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window or by right-clicking on the product installation file in Windows Explorer, going to it's 'Properties' and looking through the 'Version' tab.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the report.txt file and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.