S Guard NO UPDATE

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by budgiebob, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budgiebob

budgiebob Registered Member

HI I Have installed this TWICE now with same results I am unable to update I have tried several times each evening and get unable to get update have set to file or similar .I saw previouse note that this was down .what is current status . I use xp2 pro with sp2. The S G itself functions advice please regards BOB

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi budgiebob, and welcome to Wilders.

If the definitions date shows 1/22/04, then you have SpywareGuard up-to-date.

If it does not show the above date, then you could try updating it manually by following the directions in this link:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=25749

Let us know if this resolves your problem.

Regards,

snap

3. budgiebob

Snap I did try to use manual downloads and update got in a mess Deleted All Sg and re installed prog I have need to update as defs are dated 03! Could you please guide me through the process to ensure i get the extra files in correct place . does this seperate download form a seperate indepentant tool or update existing ? regards appoligies for slowness BOB

4. snapdragin

Hi budgiebob,

You didn't go into detail about what happened when you tried the manual download previously, so I don't know what kind of probems you experienced when you say: "I did try to use manual downloads and update got in a mess..." Am I correct in assuming you now do have SpywareGuard running ok but just that the definitions are out of date?

When you tried manually downloading the definition files from the 4 links under the "Manually Updating SpywareGuard" section in Javacool's post, did you right-click on them and chose "Save As" (or "Save Target As..") to save the def1.dtb, def2.dtb, dlbdata1.dtb, and dlbdata2.dtb files with the .dtb extension (not .txt) to your hard drive, then put them into the existing SpywareGuard folder? You would have been asked to overwrite the existing files, which you would need to say "Yes" to. Then reboot your computer.

You might try disabling SpywareGuard first before putting the 4 def files into the SpywareGuard folder, reboot your computer, and see if that makes a difference.

If you've done the above steps correctly for manually updating but still doesn't bring the definitions up-to-date, then you could consider uninstalling SpywareGuard completely and starting over with a fresh download copy. Before you can uninstall SpywareGuard completely, you must first disable ALL it's protecton and then shut it down. You can disabled SpywareGuard's protection by clicking on the SG icon in the systray (not the icon on the desktop), and choose "Options" and uncheck all protection under the "General Protection Options". Click on the "Save Settings", then exit SpywareGuard by clicking on File -> Exit. Click on "Yes" when it asks if you are sure you want to exit SpywareGuard. Then reboot your computer.

(If you cannot access SpywareGuard using the SG icon in the systray, then here are other steps for uninstalling it cleanly: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=21527)

Once you have SpywareGuard completely removed from your system, you can download a fresh copy from here: SpywareGuard 2.2 Since you are using XP, you can use the 'minimal setup' download. Please remember to close other programs when installing a new program so they will not interfer with the installation process. Then reboot your computer after installing SpywareGuard.

Let us know if any of the above steps help.

Regards,

snap

5. Ghost Raven

Ghost Raven Guest

I was just wondering how SpyWare Guard can be up to date with a date of 1-22-04. That is a year old by now. All my other spyware programs update about once a week.

6. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

SpywareGuard is unique in that most of its detections rely on the built-in heuristics scanner which does not need periodical updating...

7. budgiebob

SNAP thanks for your reply YES i had S g working ok . I FOLLOWED YOUR INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER AND updated ok GOOD JOB THANKS FOR YOUR HELP regards BOB

8. snapdragin

budgiebob, that's great news! I'm very glad to hear you've got SpywareGuard updated and working ok now. :D

Thank you for getting back to us and letting us know.

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.