Please Help- New laptop crippled

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by drunner2007, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drunner2007

drunner2007 Registered Member

Aug 23, 2007

I just started as a student at MIT (not majoring in anything related to computer science). A few days before leaving to college, I momentarilly allowed one of my best friends to use my laptop for a little while as he waited on me. He went to and managed to infect my computer with a virus (or spyware)!
    To be truthful, I was furious at him, but I didn't let it out on him, because he did not intend any harm.

The effects of the virus/spyware are not devastating, but they have definitely slowed down my computer significantly (right before starting college!), and it feels bad to have a $1300 dollar device crippled. More specifically, IE is running very slowly. Starting IE takes about 30-40 seconds (it used to take about 5) and sometimes my computer locks up when I try to turn it on. Also, when I turn on Ares, the homepage is no longer the Ares site, but instead, which looks like a rip-off of youtube.

I belive that I have found the specific youtube page that infected the computer. I was searching through the sites that my friend visited, when I came upon one that tried to change my security settings on a page. That's when I knew that this was the responsible page. Here are the two potential sources of the virus: ~Snip. Log and links removed. - Ron
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2007
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Jul 21, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.