PhotoEd.exe, AKA Microsoft Photo Editor & formats

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Does anyone have Microsoft Photo Editor installed?

I did at one time. When I uninstalled the host program, I kept just that part- it is called PhotoEd.exe, and it worked. Now I just tried to run it without installing the huge host application and it does not work because it says there are no formats listed in the registry. I'm pretty sure it would work if I had just about any Microsoft app, but I don't have any installed at the moment. Any idea how to get it to work.

-HandsOff

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. HandsOff

Hi, thanks for the info, and I will try it, however I did try downloading it from a different site, hoping it would have the missing something. It did not. I think my crime is not having any Microsoft applications installed. My guess is that no actual codecs are needed. what is needed is for something in the registry to tell Photo Editor what it should handle.

Maybe I will do a little search and see what the registry knows about Photo Editor.

-HandsOff!

P.S. - Are you sure it was not already installed on your system?

4. WSFuser

Photo Editor is part of Office 2000, XP, and i think 97 as well. as it was replaced in office 2003 (version that im using), i searched for a download of Photo Editor instead. the download was scanned with KAV 6 and it was clean.

i ran it with no problem but i didnt do anything else like open a file.

5. HandsOff

The plot thickens!

- HandsOff

6. HandsOff

I don't think I had to try to open a file, I got the message when I clicked on the executable. Even though you have a different version, it may look to the same place for the format entries. It's my Microsoft Unification Theory.

By the way, I don't seem to be having any luck with RapidShare either. That I enabled javascript but that wasn't enough. I have pretty restricted settings right now. I'm in the "if the site won't play ball with me, I won't play ball with them mode."

-HandsOff

7. WSFuser

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

9. WSFuser

since handsoff did post and recommend xnview in that thread, im sure he/she is aware of alternatives ;)

10. HandsOff

Thanks Grover for the suggestion and thanks WSF for noticing! Truth is I need another photo editor like a submarine needs screen doors. But, special effects, man, I just want to compare some of the effects that I am more into now than I was back then so probably did not check them out.

Can you believe it? A photo editor less than one megabite in size? My current photoediting programs occupy over 1200 MB not including a several GB's partition used by it exclusively as a scratch disk. But to put it all in perspective, that in no way means that MPE might not do a special effect better than what I use.

Microsoft really surprised me when I discovered they had some really good editing stuff. On the other hand, they did scrap it, and MS Impressionist. Two pretty neat products. I've not tried the new versions.

WFS: I got my download from some university in australia...I'm not sure if think I'm a student in Australia, or what? I've never used a download site that required to input of a code, and both you gave required it. Is this a new trend? mostly I look at "snapfiles" (whatever they call it now) then "list of lists" (whatever they call it now) and then "best 40 freeware programs of all time" (or whatever they call it)...Okay, okay, I'll get the names and then update this with the proper links.

-HandsOff!

Okay here are the links to my watering holes:

Freeware @ SNAPFILES - Select from the largest collection of free software.
    List of Lists
    The 46 Best-ever Freeware Utilities
    Bellgamin pointed out an interesting one a while back called “Old Versions” (...you get the idea)
    ACDSee - OldVersion.com

so now you know four of my favorites. I know of many more, but I am a creature of habit so the knowledge is moot.
    oops, they were links...

This is starting to irritate me, first codes to download a file now going advance to post a link....I going to assume you can find them and go grab some Ice Cream!!!

-HandsOff

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  11. WSFuser

if uve ever been to castlecops u have to enter a code when logging in. most forums require u enter a code when registering too. i rele dont have a problem with it.

also did ur download solve the problem or not? i can email u the program if necessary (just PM me ur email addy). its small...less then a meg...should be no problem

12. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

WSFuser
    You're absolutely right (as usual). I should have been more observant!

13. HandsOff

Thanks WSF-

I'm pretty sure that it will be the same result though, because I have two versions and they behave the same way. Later, I might try to install a microsoft app, and then uninstall the other components like I did originally. At present I seem to have a couple potentially bad situations.

My computer was working fine...but I just wanted to make sure so I...

Now I have to post about UPNP dissappearing and JAVA issues...speaking of which, my coffee should be ready!

Thanks for the offer though, I will send you my info and try it. At least it will be quick to see if it works or not. BTW, I don't even think I have Wordpad installed anymore. pretty soon the words Microsoft are just going to fade into oblivion on my screen!

-HandsOff

14. WSFuser

if u have office u can do a custom install and just install Photo Editor btw. good luck tho.

15. HandsOff

Oh, Hi WSF

I thought about that. The Thing is, its a rather complicated installation, and I h ave a vague recollection that uninstalling it completely was difficult as well. So as far as installing it, it's my way or the highway! Thanks for the suggestion, though!

-HandsOff

16. WSFuser

its not that complicated.

just start the office setup, select a custom installation, deselect everything except for Photo Editor, and install.

considering how small photoed.exe is, im sure it will install a minute or less.

17. HandsOff

Hi WSF -

Oh, I know that the role of the passive Office installer is a very simple one. But I think there is more to it if you really do not want other changes. Take a look at OfficeIns by Nirsoft if you want to check out some of the things office is starting.

Anyway, I have another way. Sufficiently dangerous that I will want full backups before undertaking the procedure. I'm going to install just the editor!

-HandsOff

18. WSFuser

do u check my email yet? have u tried teh Photo Editor i included?

19. HandsOff

Hi WSF-

If you see my latest PM, you can find the hidden PM, and more fun stuff!

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.