Network Restore Doesn't See Image Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DavidPJ, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidPJ

DavidPJ Registered Member

TI8, Build 800, XP SP2.

I was able to create a create a PC client drive image over my network to a server PC PATA drive. I've created a boot CD from TI8 on the server PC. Next I booted my client PC from the boot CD to test if that PC could see the remote disk image on the server PC. Since my system is not down, I wasn't actually going to perform the restore.

However, the client PC cannot see the drive on the server PC with the backup image file. The client PC can only see files in my server PC Shared Documents folder, which isn't on the same drive as the TI backup image. I double and triple checked the folder with the image to be sure it was shared with r/w access. I also double checked in Explorer to make sure the backup folder was visible on the network.

Also, I have a question regarding the boot CD. Is it unique to the PC that created it, or is it always the same regardless of which PC created it (assume all PCs run XP).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello David,

You'll find the definitive answer in this <previous thread>.

Hopefully Acronis Support or someone else will respond to the first part of you post.

Regards

3. DavidPJ

DavidPJ Registered Member

Thanks Menorcaman. The thread answered my second question.

Regarding the problem, I made it work late last night, but I'm not sure if my solution resolved it or was it simply because I rebooted my server with the backup image.

On the server PC, I changed the share name of the folder with the TI backup image. I remember something about DOS not recognizing share names longer than 8 characters (I think that's the number). I know the boot CD is Linux, but I don't know anything about what it might see or not see in the way of share names on a network.

For grins, I reduced my image folder share name to 6 characters. I still didn't see the folder from the TI client PC booted from the TI boot CD. Then I rebooted the server, then the client, and then the share folder appeared on the net.

So, I still don't know exactly the solution. Anyone know what if any network share name limitations exist when booting from the Linux TI boot CD? I'm happy it works now, but I would like to know for sure what caused the problem in the first place. If no one can help here maybe I'll play around with share names a little bit when I have a chance.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DavidPJ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Glad to hear you have solved the problem. Acronis True Image has no 8-symbol limitation on shared folder name. The problem may result from some Windows settings on the remote computer.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.