Bootable CD Ignored

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tintax, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tintax

tintax Guest

Hi,

When I try to boot from my brand new TI CD the system just ignores me and boots from the hard drive instead. I don't see *any* messages relating to TI or an attempt to boot from CD.

The BIOS is set to boot from CD first; I have no problem booting from the media I created via the demo version, or from my knoppix cds. The TI CD I received seems to be fine - I can access it in Windows (read the user guide etc.).

Regards,

Matt

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Matt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

After that please create new Acronis Bootable CD with this latest build and try using it.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Rik Bean

Rik Bean Registered Member

Hi Matt

I had problems when booting from the 'official' CD, whilst things worked fine when I booted from my locally-burnt version. It was put down to hardware incompatibilty, from which I infer that the local build tailors drivers to the environment in which it's created. I'd suggest burning a new CD yourself if the build number is different from the one you trialled, and see if that works.

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

I think you are mistaken here, Rik. If a locally burned Rescue CD works, it is because it built by a later version of TrueImage which presumable has better/updated device drives incorporated.

5. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I purchased the download version so I've never seen the bought version of the CD. It's probably an install CD with manuals etc and not a bootable CD.

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

I can not be certain about TrueImage, but the CD that was included in my boxed PartitionExpert 2003 was bootable, so I would assume the boxed TI CD is bootable too.

7. Rik Bean

No, Max, both images were from build 800. When the d/l version didn't work, I was advised to use my 'local' version by tech support. As I'm on a RAID system, my guess would be that the 'local' CD picks up the RAID drivers when it's being built, but I'm probably wrong. ;)

8. Rik Bean

I read in the manual that it is bootable, but like you, I'm on the d/l version.

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Rik,

Acronis Support has confirmed a number of times that the "full" version bootable rescue media is build specific not hardware specific. It contains the latest Linux device drivers and any bug fixes that are available at the time the new build is released.

Regards

10. Rik Bean

How're the Balearics this morning? I accept the CDs are build specific, but there is a difference between the downloadable ISO image, which won't work on my machine, and my locally-burnt CD, which will. Given this, it seemed to me that the local version must pick up something, eg a driver or hardware information, from my machine to make the difference. If this isn't the case, I'd be curious to know why one CD works and the other reports by images as corrupt. Tech support told me that the images would be OK if the local CD worked, and to use that (with the quiet acpi=off noapic switch).

Any illumination welcomed.

11. Menorcaman

Hi Rik,

Sunny and warm!! However, up until a week ago, it was one hell of a long, cold winter (worst one for over 30 years).

How did you get hold of the ISO? Was it obtained via a link provided by support@acronis.com?

Could be due to a duff download. If using a download manager make sure you're not using its segmented (i.e. accelerated) download feature. According to Acronis Support, their server doesn't like segmented download requests.

How, exactly, did you burn the ISO to CD? Hopefully you followed one of the procedures provided via the links at the end of the TI forum Sticky titled <Please Read Before You Post>

Regards

12. Rik Bean

You had cold Balearics? Not nice. ;)

I got the link to the CD from tech support, downloaded and burnt in accordance with the instructions in the sticky, albeit they are out of date for Nero 6. I don't use a d/l manager, and with the file at 5.6MB, it's not a huge download on BB. When that version didn't work - ie it booted fine, but gave 'corrupted image' messages, I did a fresh d/l and burn with the same results. I went back to tech support with the problem and they told me to use my local CD. Hence my thought that TI is picking up drivers or hardware information from my machine - it seemed the only variable left.

PS - just re-checked the email from TS. It says that "it looks like a hardware issue" and I should use my local CD.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  13. Menorcaman

Hi again Rick,

When Acronis Support provide an ISO it's usually a customised version of a boot rescue CD thats been hard coded to incorporate changes they think may overcome a user's specific problem. Clearly, the "fix" didn't work in your case and you were advised to create a boot rescue CD locally using the latest build of TI. This will have included all the Linux open source device drivers available to Acronis at that time plus a number of known bug fixes. It will not have been tailored to your hardware and, if you had a multi-user licence, could be used on different machines.

Up until August last year I too was under the impression that a bootable rescue CD was somehow specific to the hardware it was created on. However, I was set straight by Acronis Support after posing the question in this <previous thread>.

Regards
    Tom

14. Rik Bean

Hi Tom

Thanks for that information. I guess we think alike, it seemed logical to assume local versions picked up hardware-specific stuff if the ISO CD didn't work. Glad I'm not the only one to deduce along Sherlock lines. :)

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rik,

To eliminate all doubts I would like to tell that Acronis Bootable Media is NOT system-specific in any way. It is only build-specific. If you have two computers with completely different hardware with the same build of Acronis True Image installed and create Acronis Bootable CD on both of them you will get two absolutely identical CDs.

As for the reason why the CD youwere provided with the software didn't work, the reason may be some problem with particular disk. Anyway it is recommended that you create new Acronis Bootable CD with every build you download.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.