Need suggestion regarding Free AV+Firewall

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by src2206, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. src2206

src2206 Registered Member

Hello

I am in process of setting up my friends computer who squarely depends on me for all the matter related to tech. :) Now what I am not sure about is which AV+firewall combo should I suggest him. Both must be free though as it is his home PC.

I have searched the net a lot but honestly that made me more confused. The AV that I use personally does not publish any free version so that is out of question. The avcomparitives.org never compares or reviews any free AV, so that could not be much of a help too.

Anyways, after giving the mater some thought I have thought of the following:

• AVAST Home Edition+Comodo Firewall Pro
    • Comodo Internet Security

The last time I visited Comodo's site the AV is still in BETA stage, and I rather prefer to shy away from any BETA version. So is Comodo AV out of BETA now? And could the members here please suggest which of the above will be better or is there any other alternative that I may have missed?

Thank you in advance. :)

2. Marauder

Marauder Registered Member

Yes Comodo is out of beta.
    I would use Comodo Internet Security I recently made the move to it and I'm a happy camper.

The other alternatives AVG Free Edition or AntiVir Personal Edition and comodo firewall.

3. risl

risl Registered Member

The advantage in selecting avast! is that they've been doing this since the late 80's or early 90's. They are established, respected and have more experience in developing antivirus solutions.

4. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i would suggest you to use avg 8.0 free+comodo without the AV..........i think you will be safe...

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

The other nice thing (well, one of many) about Avast is that the detection/disinfection of the Home version is the same as for the Pro. So what you see on av-comparatives, at least concerning Avast, should give a pretty good idea.
    CIS contains a highly regarded (by many) firewall, with a HIPS component, called D+. The whole package needs to be downloaded these days -the firewall can't be downloaded as a standalone -but the unwanted components can be de-selected during the install. So I've read.
    Avira is highly regarded by its users, also. No idea how good the protection offered by the free version is.
    A bit of immunity would go a long way, too. Such things as a Hosts file, or SpywareBlaster, or the immunity provided by Spybot, perhaps. All prevent known bad sites from loading. All are free.
    Threatfire is a free behaviour blocker that runs nicely alongside Avast. I don't know if it would be advisable-nor necessary- to run it alongside Comodos' D+, but if you install a different firewall without HIPS (as I have) it works a treat.
    In my sig is an application for monitoring software, so as to keep it up to date. (Secunia.) Very important. Have a browse around some forums that do HijackThis analysis. Most of the logs show out of date software. 'Specially Java.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    BTW I've run a full scan today with MBAM - a highly regarded antimalware scanner - and it found nothing. I used to run scans daily. Then weekly. This is the first I've run for about two weeks. The protection I'm using clearly is doing something correctly.

6. llydmissile

llydmissile Registered Member

Avast! is ok ,but maybe Comodo firewall is only suitble for advanced users..
    I recommend PcTools firewall , which is more intelligent

7. src2206

Thanks for the inputs and suggestions.

I don't think the user will bother much about the alert pop ups from Comodo, but still a new firewall can always be tested. :)
    But one thing that I could not assure myself from the PC Tools website, whether one can do Port Forwarding in the Firewall's Free version. Could anyone please confirm that? And what about leak test? Is PC Tools FW better than Comodo in Leak Test?

8. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Yes you can do Port Forwarding and about Leak tests take a look here
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php

Comodo is the leader of leak tests ( it isnt in first place because the version tested had some bugs , already fixed now).

Comodo Internet Security ( with antivirus and D+ , very ligth) has my choice but you can try Avira free + Online Armor ( very ligth too).

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Which OS or did I miss that?

10. country2

country2 Registered Member

Yes need to know the OS. Some of the free firewalls mention will not work on Vista64 and if he is running Vista64 I would stay away from Comodo firewall 3.8 versions.

11. src2206

Ooopsssss....you did not miss it, I forgot to mention it..

Windows XP Pro with SP3

Thanks for the links....

Problem with Online Armour is that it is not free. I am only looking for Free ones.
    So it can be AVAST!+PC Tolls FW or Comodo IS...pretty tough choice. :|

BTW, from this link http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html it seems that XP SP3 is not supported or have they forgotten to update their site? :?: :!:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  12. progress

progress Guest

Avast & Comodo IS :thumb: PC Tools FW has caused blue screens on my machine :'(

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

Avast + PC Tools FW IMO, pc tools fw is quieter, lighter (IMO) and much less noisy while still providing decent protection.

14. src2206

Thanks guys...for your input

BTW, from this link http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html it seems that XP SP3 is not supported or have they forgotten to update their site?

This is the first time I have heard that PC Tools firewall causes BSOD. Does this FW offres application control like Comodo provides as Defense+? Again it seems that the product info page is pretty unhelpful or I may havemissed it completely

15. firzen771

CIS is compatible with SP3 they just havent updates the site i guess. and pc tools FW does have application control, its HIPS is much quieter, might not protect as many things as CIS, but provides good protection against most things and would be sufficient for most.

16. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Online Armor has a free version http://tallemu.com/free-firewall-protection-software.html
    I have also used Comodo with XP SP3

17. src2206

Thanks everyone

What exactly is HIPS? Could you please post the link where I can find a detail info and preferable a technical review?

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

For someone elses computer I like Avast home & GhostWall. Me I'd probably use good old Sygate. Never did like Comodo. I'm on Vista64. Thats why it sounds like that.

19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Avast and rising free firewall also goes well together with very little popups
    ellison

20. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

I switched to using Avast from NIS09 .. Just over a week ago!

And you know what?
    I'm thrilled to bits with Avast :thumb:

You couldn't even pay me to go back to using NIS now :thumbd:

My Firewall Is - PC Tools Firewall Plus : 5.0.0.37
    Here : http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

The Blue Screens That ance Mentioned...
    These are caused by just one of the firewall Settings - Enhanced Security Verification

PC Tools Firewall Plus .. Is A Fantastic Little Firewall :cool:
    Inbound & Outbound - Protection!
    However!
    It does have just one little problem - Enhanced Security Verification ( ESV )
    ESV = One of their newer Firewall features .. They're struggling to get right
    ESV Can Cause.. Freezes and Blue Screens :argh:
    In my opinion .. Best Left - OFF .. Till they get it right!

Don't Be Put Off! ;)
    But Just make Sure...
    Once you've Installed PC Tools Firewall Plus .. Wait a few minutes while the Firewall settles in. ( e.g. You may get 1 or 2 - Allow or Block - Pop Ups )
    Then...
    Double Click the Firewall Icon in your Taskbar - To Open It!
    Click On - Settings
    Click On - Filtering Tab
    Untick - Enhanced Security Verification
    Click On - Apply

That should ensure... You Wont Have Any Problems! :)

21. src2206

Thats a very helpful and detailed post Zeena, thank you so very much.

Did you switchto AVAST! home or pro? And this ESV feature, what exactly is it supposed to do?

22. firzen771

ESV is their HIPS, protects for stuff like dll injection, etc etc... not sure about the exact details but thats about what it does. and i have NEVER had an issue like that with ESV enabled, so as i said before in ur copy and paste post zeena, its probably a compatibility issue with something u have running, or have uninstalled and wasnt cleanly removed.

23. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

src2206 :)

I'm Using - Avast Home ;)

RE : ESV

Like firzen771 said... It's something like HIPS ;)

Maybe firzen771 has a point :doubt:
    However!
    It's not just me that's had problems with ESV
    Many people have had problems with it :(
    PC Tools Forum : http://www.pctools.com/forum/index.php

If you're wondering what firzen771 meant when he said..
    I gave the same advice to someone yesterday - Re: PC Tools Firewall Plus
    So rather than...
    1/ Just give you the link to what I'd told them.
    OR
    2/ Type the whole thing out again.
    I simply copied and pasted some of what I'd said yesterday ;)

As you can see here : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=233957

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  24. progress

progress Guest

Thank you, maybe I'll try it again! :-*

25. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi ance :)

You're Welcome! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.