Migrating disk image to new RAID controller causes blue screen

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by OlSpazzy, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlSpazzy

OlSpazzy Registered Member

I used Acronis True Image Home 10.0.4871 to create a full disk image of my main system partition, running Windows XP Professional with SP2. I then copied it to an external drive, and changed my internal drives into a JBOD (spanning) configuration using my mobo's nF4 chipset raid (nvraid). After restoring the image to the new massive JBOD/RAID drive and booting up, I get the following blue screen (safe mode included):

**** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBACCB528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Note that the error message does NOT include the phrase "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" and the 0xBACCB528 part changes sometimes.

It's also worth noting that my previous setup included an internal JBOD drive for file storage (no OS present), so I did have the nVIDIA raid drivers installed. I also tried using Acronis Universal Restore and supplied it with the nvraid drivers, but still got the same error. My setup is as follows:

DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    2gb DDR PC3200
    *WD3200KS 320GB SATA2 hardrive (two of them), plugged into the nvidia-controlled sata channels (not the Silicon image ones)
    *ST3320620A 320GB IDE Ultra ATA100 (Primary IDE slave)
    WD1200JB 120GB IDE Ultra ATA100 (Primary IDE master)

*these drives are part of the new JBOD

I've installed XP Pro to the WD1200JB for the time being so I can work on this problem and perform faster restores of the image. With my original setup (the one that is imaged), XP was installed on one of the WD3200KS drives, which was not part of any array.

I tried doing a repair install of XP but it failed (I don't remember the error). I REALLY want to avoid having to do a fresh install of XP and replace all my programs and settings (otherwise what was the point of making the image and using Acronis software in the first place?)

Please, I'm open to any suggestions, and I'm willing to get my hands dirty with registry settings etc, if need be.

2. AaronAnderson

AaronAnderson Registered Member

was the RAID controller installed and functioning at the time you created the image? That helps get the right drivers in place. I used to have to do that when only using BartPE and ghost.

I've not had issues before, when moving to different storage controllers if I used UR and had the right drivers for it.

Does true image say the restore was successful?

3. OlSpazzy

OlSpazzy Registered Member

Yes, as I said, I had a JBOD setup using the same controller at the time I made the image. It was between two drives on the Primary IDE channel, though, and one of the drives is no longer in the system. The three drives I have in JBOD now are totally different from the first two, and only one of them is using IDE, the other two are SATA.

It did indeed say the image restore was successful, though the log does show some errors:

The following are all titled Error 29 0 (0x1D0000)
    Setup was unable to parse 'oem2.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'oem23.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'oem27.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'Nm2kMf.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'Nm2kMult.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'NmMulti.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'Mos24Ser.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'Ms24Comp.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'Mos24Ser.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'Ms24Comp.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'oem2.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'oem23.inf' and skipped it.
    Setup was unable to parse 'oem27.inf' and skipped it.

4. holmes4

holmes4 Registered Member

Windows does not like having the system drive type change from non-RAID to RAID (or vice-versa). The symptoms are pretty much what you describe and I have not seen a way around this. Perhaps if you use TI Workstation with Universal Restore it would work. It does not matter if the RAID software was installed before.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello OlSpazzy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image and (in case of corporate version) Acronis Universal Restore. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

Please notice that what are you trying to do is essentially transferring of the system to a different hardware. You can try doing it with Acronis True Image 10.0 Home using this workaround, but it's not guaranteed to work.

Using Acronis Universal Restore please try restoring the image in the following way:

Prior to restoring to different hardware you need to contact the vendor of the mass storage device (e.g. RAID or hard drive controller) and request the latest drivers for this storage device. Unpack them from whichever package they are sent to you, so that the drivers were in .inf and .oem format; possibly copy them to a removable media (you will need it later).

When you get to the selection menu, please choose to load the Full version of the product with Acronis Universal Restore.

When GUI of the standalone version of Acronis True Image loads, please invoke Recovery Wizard, choose the image to restore, and in the end select 'Use Acronis Universal Restore'. On the next step please select 'Install the following drivers' option and click 'Add' to choose the drivers in .inf and .oem format which you saved to the removable media (or from their different location). On the next step please uncheck all the options - you don't need any other drivers to be searched for. Then proceed with the restoration - Acronis Universal Restore will be applied during the process.

See if the system boots normally.

If the problem persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please do the following to collect Windows registry data from the target system (that is, the system to which the image was restored):
    - Boot the computer under consideration from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media;
    - Create files/folders backup of \Windows\System32\Config folder.

Please perform the same operation with the source system (you can extract that folder from the image as well).

So, we need two Windows registry exports: from source system and from target system.

Please also create Acronis Report on the target machine the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.