Before I buy...will it do this?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by meditek, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meditek

meditek Registered Member

1. 'image' backup using an Nvidia4 chipset (MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum MB) from a SATA disk to an IDE disk?

2. 'image' restore from the IDE disk to a newly setup Nvidia Raid (striped)?

I'm afraid the trial (fully functional haha) copped out when it came to trying it and I don't like fights getting my money back.

Thanks

Edit :- It would seem by the silence that it probably wouldn't.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello meditek,

What did you find missing from the functionality of the trial version of TI 9? Also, you'll need to explain what the problem was rather than just saying it "copped out".

Regards

3. meditek

meditek Registered Member

I was unable to test 9.0 from 'Dos' because :-

1. it did not allow me to back up XP form the SATA to IDE. The program announced that I would have to buy the full version in order to do this. This is not full functionality.

2. when I install the RAID I will lose XP on the SATA disk which will become part of the RAID. So, I cannot install the RAID without :-

a) having a reliable backup on the IDE disk

b) knowing whether 9.0 will be able to see the RAID and IDE from 'DOS' in order to 'restore' XP to the RAID.

Hope this clarifies.

MSI K8N NEO4 F1 ULTRA
    Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
    1GB PC3200 DDR 400
    Radeon x800 XT
    LITE-ON DVDR/RW Lightscribe primary IDE1
    Asus CD R/RW secondary IDE1
    XP Pro SP2
    74gb WD Raptor SATA 1
    74gb WD Raptor SATA 2
    80GB Seagate on Primary IDE2
    17" Samsung 740B monitor
    Enermax 480w psu

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello meditek,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please be aware that your newly restored operating system might not boot because of the lack of the appropriate drivers for your newly configured RAID controller and so you should follow the below described scheme in order to accomplish your goal:

- Prepare your Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article;

- Boot your PC from Bootable Rescue CD and create an image of the entire hard drive saving it to any type of the supported media (e.g. CD, DVD, internal\external hard drive, ZIP drive, network drive, etc.);

- Turn off the computer and configure your RAID array;

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD once more and restore the beforehand created image;

- Install the appropriate drivers for the newly configured RAID controller during the fist Windows boot.

You may also find this this article helpful.

Please also note that the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 has the following limitations:

- From under Windows: all functions available, 15-days trial period;
    - When using Bootable Rescue Media: Recovery feature available only.

I'm afraid that due to the free trial version limitations you will not be able to create an image when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD which is as I have already pointed above required in order to accomplish your goal. However, you still can test the restore to the same hardware configuration by creating an image from under Windows.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.