mcafee firewall v 4.02

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ellison64, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

A colleague at work gave me about 30 pc mag cds today ,as lots of the stuff on them wont run on his xp (i still use 9:cool:.Anyway i noticed there was an OEM version of mcafee firewall.I installed it out of curiosity to see what it was like.I was pleasantly surprised as it seems to be quite light and has lots of features.Anyone used this in the past and have any experience of it good or bad?
    ellison

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I also have a copy of this firewall when I installed VirusScan 6.0 a few years ago. But I never installed it since I was already using Zone Alarm. McAfee used to sell the firewall program by itself, but with the new versions (current one is 7), they bundle the firewall with other programs.

3. ellison64

Yes i noticed it was bundled with other stuff later on.This one comes with neotrace (visualtrace mcafee calls it) which works ok.Im wary of anything to heavy on my resources (kerio 2.15 would be hard to replace)however this firewall seems quite light and has lots of features.Information seems a little scare.I googled but only came up with amazon reviews.Most of these are bad and criticise mcafee support rather than the firewall.I havent had any problems with it at all so far.If you know of any reviews, anywhere let me know.I wonder if Stem has tried it in the past?.
    ellison

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I did have a look at mcafee a while ago, that was build 7.1.113. I didn`t have it installed for long. The rules, to allow all, where a bit open, and mcafee gave all its own apps these rules. I did change them to block, but the firewall kept changing them back and kept trying to connect to data.hackerwatch.org.

What build are you using?

5. ellison64

Build 4.02 ..its in the title ;)
    Its quite old... (august 2002 according to teh notes).Its very light to run like kerio 2.15.It seems to have some sort of md5 checking as it can tell when a program has changed.I must admit ,i like it so far.Heres some pics.

Attached Files:

6. ellison64

Theres also some advanced options.

Attached Files:

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have had a quick play with this firewall (I am not sure if I have used this before or not). But yes, I do quite like it. There are some good options, and in the short time of installation, did run very well. O.K. it is not for the user who likes a firewall for its leaktest stopping ability, but at least it does check by checksum the applications that access the internet (which is more than some)

It is a pity the later versions did not continue in this direction.

8. ellison64

Thanks for having a look.Ive noticed as well as the ip blocking in advanced you can add a rule to an application (like your browser) and block urls or domains/ranges too.I didnt know you could do that but your post on how to IP block with AVG firewall started me looking.Its easier that way than having to put in an ip address.
    ellison

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

As the current discussion is now continuing on this thread, I will close this, to stop double postings.

Stem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.