re mcafee firewall 4.02

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ellison64, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I recently installed this OEM firewall from a "personal computer world" magazine disk.
    (se earlier thread for pics https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=166959)
    I'm currently using it instead of kerio 2.15 and i believe it may appeal to those users who like a light ,configurable firewall ,with low (w9:cool: resource usage.Its a full firewall version with no restrictions.Its also supposed to run on XP and W2K but read the readme file first as i cant confirm this (running 98se).Don't ask me about how it performs on leaktest because
    1.I don't know
    2.I don't care.

You can register the firewall and it will update to 4.02 (version installed will be 4.00).It also comes with mcafee visual trace (neotrace) which can be accessed from the firewall gui.i like this firewall very much and havent experienced any problems whatsoever.Of course if anyone wants to try it ,then take the usual precautions such as backups (i used roxio goback when i installed it as a precaution).Heres the download links and anyone who wishes to try it out ,please share your experiences.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/18773980/MFW.zip.html
    http://rapidshare.com/files/18775089/Readme.txt.html

ellison

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi

:thumb: :thumb:

I am of similar attitude and yes, I have tried McAfee's firewall, you have a point here IMO, it is very good indeed. McAfee is regaining its reputation, as I think their AV is very good also.

C'ya.

EDIT: OOps, my bad, my comment was reffering to the latest v8.5. What's this v4.02? o_O I'll look into it anyway.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I set up and ran this on XP without issue
    The only "leaktest" I personally check (unless others are requested) is the leaktest 1.2, that checks to see if the firewall checks the application (accessing internet) for location/checksum. This firewall does check by checksum.

You can register the firewall, but you do not have to, if you do not, there is a time limit shown, I think this was for 50000 days. After this period, the firewall is still fully functional.

4. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Stem,

Good day to you. :)

How would you rate/compare McAfee 4.02 to Kerio 2.1.5?

thanks,
    Hipgnosis

5. ellison64

Thanks for the OS confirmation ;)
    ellison

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Does the Window Security Center recognize the firewall?

50,000 days? That is over 100 years! :eek: Do you think a PC can last THAT long? o_O

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello Hipgnosis,
    I re-installed last night to play a bit longer, (to check out better), I will then post back.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I didn`t check, I currently have it installed on W2K.

Days.jpg
    LOL

9. waters

waters Registered Member

How do i download from those links
    OK DONE

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  10. waters

waters Registered Member

I like it,very light and stealth.Set up rules for utorrent and wolfenstein,if someone else has set up any rules,can they share, so i can be sure mine are ok.What can i allow for remote ports for utorrent because getting loads of alerts

11. ellison64

Glad you like the firewall.It does grow on you.Im not an expert but i would imagine that since the remote ports ain't your ports,then it should be ok to allow any remote port ,by unticking the rule.
    ellison

12. waters

waters Registered Member

That works with pc tools but this one alerts even unticked,and i dont know what range to allow, wolfenstien enemy territory needs port27960 but unless i allow outbound port 53 it cant connect to servers .but apart from the rules for these i like

13. ellison64

The outbound port 53 is UDP/IP protocol isnt it?.That has to be allowed.If i untick "and communicating using remote ports" in the "edit filtering rule" screen for TCP/IP protocol, i dont have any alerts for remote ports for that application.Why you have im not sure.I dont use torrents ,so cant help.Im sure someone will shortly though.
    ellison

14. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

port 53 is used for DNS

15. waters

waters Registered Member

Well just started utorrent and now that asked for port 53,blocked and that is still all ok .Still find odd that all firewalls i have used ,i have only allowed local port 27960 for Et.Never been asked for port 53 for utorrent also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.