Looking for an on-demand scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ssj100, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssj100

ssj100 Guest

I'm currently using Avira and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) as my two weekly on-demand scanners (which by the way have never found anything in the history of my system, probably reflecting that I practically don't really need any on-demand scanners). I've also tried SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS) which is rather excellent too.

I'm just wondering what the Wilders community can suggest with regards to other good on-demand scanners.

Here are my general criteria:
    1. Program must be able to be installed as "on-demand" only with no "real-time" component.
    2. Scanning speed must be fast (MBAM, Avira, SAS are all examples of having fast scanners).
    3. Ideally freeware, but suggestions for paid software are also welcome.

Thank you all!

2. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i think u can combine also counterspy from sunbelt which score at first place cleaning malwares

also its be good to check with a-squared Anti-Malware FREE one time 2 time also

i always recommended on mixing anti malware software in OD work :)

cheers

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I always say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. MBAM and SAS are the best, so why look for alternatives. If they don't find anything, good. You're clean. :D

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

A-Squared probably won't meet your criteria, it has a service running with the on-demand scanner. Not real-time protection but a service running all the same.

5. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Agreed. :thumb:

6. a320ca

a320ca Registered Member

7. bollity

bollity Registered Member

malwarebyte also have a service running all the time even if you don't enable "protection module".I disable it from services at control panel

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, My Daughter can testify how MBAM found and quarantined 77 instances of the Vundo trojan.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

also rouges and spywares and some viruses too:)

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes i do appranger;) got ya:argh:

11. Someone

Someone Registered Member

12. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

13. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

It appears on the Symantec product page at Softpedia Here. Seems like a handy scanner - just tried it myself with no probs.

14. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

Hitman Pro. Faster than all the rest - about 60 seconds for complete system scan and uses five engines:

G Gata
    NOD32
    AntiVir
    Prevx
    A-Squared

Uses cloud computing - V3.5 out soon.

Is free to use and will allow one month free removal (activate this when you like) - obviouslu, register for perminant removal ability.

15. a320ca

a320ca Registered Member

I agree. Very light and fast.:thumb: Never been impressed with Norton/Symantec. N/S has bloated and caused problems for the last time on my computers.:thumbd:

16. a320ca

a320ca Registered Member

This just in...

"Hitman Pro 3.5 is completely rewritten. The new Hitman Pro is multi threaded so even faster the previous version(s). The malware detection is further improved. The upgrade to the newer version will be free for paying
    customers.
    The new version will be released this week."...

:D :thumb:

17. Retadpuss

Hi, I am a beta tester for Hitman and can confirm its main strength is in detecting and removing infections (It is an on demand scanner after all!)

It is still very good at detecting all malware which is not active.

Im testing tha latest RC at the moment and can confirm it is as good as the best and sometimes better.

I have tested it with many live infections of new (< 48 hours old) malware, and can confirm it is as good as Prevx (overall - but not quite as good with zero day malware), better than Avira and A2 and miles ahead of SAS and MBAM - on all ages of malware.

It is about as good as Avira and A2 for non live malware detection and sometimes better - sometimes, with old samples, not quite as good.

It takes about 60 seconds to scan the whole system, so is very convenient.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  18. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

You can always run an on-demand web scan with Eset, or a-squared.

I think Hitman Pro is a good program. Very easy to use, a user can't go wrong. No alerts or prompts, just cleans up. Has a feature, when a scan is finished, you can right-click and select virus controls, for more advanced options.

Once it closes, it is gone. When running a full scan, no slow-down. You can also get it for free if your purchase Avira, Nod or a-squared. http://www.surfright.nl/en/shop/hitmanpro-bundles

Retadpuss, is there a forum you're getting the info from, or a link to test the new version? If you can't post it on a forum, feel free to PM.

19. Retadpuss

Hi, Saraceno,

I am a member of couple of independent malware research organisations and support / beta test for a few security vendors. I have been in contact with the owner of Surfright (Hitman Pro) for a while now and have ended up testing the new version for them through this route. As far as Im aware, there is no open beta available for public testing and therefore, I wouldnt feel comfortable handing out the software.

It will be out in a few days, so you wont have long to wait!

Puss

20. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Softpedia is hosting the old version (1.3 or 1.4 I guess). This one was available in GooglePack as well as Symantec's product page.

The latest version (2.0 when I tested it) offers a black interface which is very similar to that of Norton 2008's products, and is downloadable from both GooglePack's and Symantec's pages.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/quanzi_1507/security/nss.png

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n58/quanzi_1507/security/nss2.png

You can always (as long as Symantec still offers it) download the latest version of Norton Security Scan from either of the sites below:
    Code:
    http://pack.google.com/
    Code:
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp
    Even if it does not have "clean" in its name, NSS still offers clean function. Version 1.x automatically remove (delete) detected threats, and prompts for user's decision in case of adware detection. I don't remember if v.2.x asks before taking action, but if it does I recommend using the latest version, since "detecting = deleting" is quite dangerous for your data.

21. quanzi_1507

Yes, since their interfaces look exactly the same.

22. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

When it's not Scan AND Clean, I'm pretty sure it'll just hand over the results with no fix to the malware.

23. quanzi_1507

How can you be "pretty sure" if you've not tested it yet, are you telling that by looking at its name?

The reason I've abandoned it is that everytime it find infected files on my PC it'll remove (oh yeah call it CLEAN if you want) them without my confirmation.

24. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I only tested it for a short while in school as someone had apparently installed/downloaded it - that's why I'm "pretty sure". I also read some help for the program making my assumption.

25. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good grief, did you see the requirements for that Norton scan thingie, it requires 1gig of physical RAM. :eek:

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.