Just checking....

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Probert31, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Probert31

Probert31 Registered Member

Just a question. I run AntiVir's AVGaurd, Zone Alarm Pro (can't get updates anymore though), Spybot Search and Destroy's Tea Timer resident program, and Spy ware Blaster by JavaCool at startup. I also run LavaSoft's Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot Search and Destroy, AntiVir's antivirus program, HiJack This, A-Squared anti trojan, and CWShredder at regular intervals. I update the programs and use Windows Update regularly. I also occasionally run Trend Micro's Housecall- Online Virus Scanner. On a scale of 1- 100, how secure am I from virii, trojans, and spyware. How could I be better? Oh yeah, I also use Opera or Firefox as my browser. Thanks.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you really should not run CWshredder unless you actually have a problem, it can cause problems of it's own on a healthy computer. other wise you seem fairly well protected. Oh bye the way make sure you have all of the windows updates.

bigc

3. Probert31

Probert31 Registered Member

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Probert31 welcome to Wilders. This is what works really well for me, very simple to use and maintain. and more importantly very secure.

You may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I didn't know this!!! This concerns me a bit! I have run it quite a few times just to check!!!! Can you elaborate for us please bigc??

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i ran the scan only the other day and it had a F/P with MSCONFIG
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=58055

i stopped scanning with it and especially the fix scan after i had another F/P with the hosts file which didnt need fixing and i did try to fix, so it looked like i had an infection which i couldnt get rid of and didnt show up in an HJT log.
    i think there was another recent hosts file F/P too.

i dont know for sure, but would you always know if you had a CWS infection, if you used FF and not IE?

there're probably other reasons not to scan too, but i dont know them.

7. bigc73542

I can't think off hand where I read it but what I understand it has been known to make changes it shouldn't. it is a great program but one you use sparringly

bigc

8. bigc73542

I did a little arcive searching and found this. it is not what I was looking for but I will keep looking and see if I can't find the article i was looking for.

bigc

also you might look here

Attached Files:

9. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

CWshredder can cause problems, hm?
    Maybe that's why I can't seem to install the recent update o_O

10. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Thanks very much for looking bigc!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.