How do you keep your internal IP address hidden?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Corrupted, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corrupted

Corrupted Registered Member

I was at a site (www.auditmypc.com) and it mentioned that it could read my internal IP address as well as external. I thought my internal was always hidden...how do I make sure that it is? THanks.

2. Shae

Shae Registered Member

Just a question. Do you have a firewall? Most firewalls will hide your internal IP address. Also, you might want to try ShieldsUp at www.grc.com Hope this helps. :)

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Corrupted, and welcome to Wilders.

Here are two threads that discuss the scan tests at AuditMyPC.com that may be of help:

auditmypc: free firewall checking service
    Routers; False Sense of Security?

What tests did you take at the AuditMyPC? If you clicked on the "whats my ip?' link in the upper right corner of the site then you would see an explaination there about what IP number(s) are displayed. The IP your ISP assigned you should be shown on the page.

Note: This topic might be more related to how you may have your firewall setup, so I will move this thread over into the Other Firewalls forum where it will receive better attention. (done)

Regards,

snap

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

That site and test will use ActiveX and scripts for some of their tricks, ie. to obtain your LAN IP. So it is your browser giving up this information from the inside by allowing these to run.

Try running the spyware test again with IE security set to high or with a browser like Firefox and your results should be different.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. subratam

subratam Registered Member

I just took the test, and I am behind NAT, also took in browsers like Opera and FireFox , but it did show my internal IP address , and ---> http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/internal-ip.html that explains some part.
    I will read more about it and ofcourse want to be cleared on this

thanks

6. snapdragin

Sub, was this with IE and ActiveX enabled?

I have tried the test several times now with Opera 7.54 and Javascript enabled (behind a NAT router and Sygate f/w) and all it's showing me is my WAN IP, not my internal IP. So it must be ActiveX that is used to see the internal IP?

snap

7. subratam

snap,
    I used Opera 7.54 also and yes javascript enabled , well its showing my LAN IP and the external IP . I am going to main page http://www.auditmypc.com/ and pressing Start check before any tests. Am I doing something wrong?

8. snapdragin

I'm not sure, Sub. Maybe I am. :doubt:
    When I go to the main page and click on the Start Check it takes me to this page: http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/prefcan.asp

No IP's show at all on that page, at least for me. If I click on the "What's My IP" link at the very top of that 2nd page, it just shows me my IP, but not my internal IP. I've clicked on everything there and the one IP that should show is the only IP that shows. This is using Opera 7.54. Odd we are getting two different results using the same browser.

Edit - oh wait, if your ISP uses a proxy, then it will show that too along with the IP they assigned you. But if you are behind a router, then the IP that the router assigns your computer(s) should not be showing, at least it's not for me.

9. snapdragin

Ok, I figured out what I was missing in order to have it show my internal IP (the one the router assigns my computer). I went back but this time I enabled Java. That made the difference. It shows it now.

10. subratam

Ah.. cool

It explains it :)

Thanks snap .. cheers :)

11. PG3

PG3 Guest

Using NAT-router, it would not show your private-lan ip of your computers behind the router at all, but you put ones among those ip into DMZ (router conf) to show it to the outside world. Outsiders would see yours as the Internet IP of the whole yours.
    If you are using cable internet service, seems that you have a fixed/static IP for your whole LAN/router to the internet; and outside world should see that ip.

Does it answer to your concerns? sorry if I am wrong at it.

12. meneer

meneer Registered Member

The internal ip address of my computer is 192.168.1.69. This information is useless to anyone outside my network. So although you know this address, you will not be able to connect to it.
    The internall address is hidden from the internet by my NAT (network address translatin) router, so there is no way that this information can be used for malicious purposes.
    NAT is an internet standard. Although my system is on a private address range as described in RFC 1918) I could also use a public 'like' address, say 1.2.3.4, but in that case the real 1.2.3.4 would not be accessible from my local network. The public IP address ranges are not routed on the internet.

13. Corrupted

HI all -
    Yes I ran the test again from the website and it still sees my internal IP address. I'm running a Linksys wireless G and zone alarm. I'm also using Firefox 1.0. I can't figure out why my internal IP is being broadcasted :(

14. Corrupted

OK I just turned off my Java and Javascript on my Firefox browser and re-ran the test. Now it doesn't show my internal IP address. Is there anything else I need to do to keep it hidden? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.