How do you avoid the fake AV popups?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Defcon, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is this thread a joke.every one is replying with a new software.do you guys really think that any one will get these pop ups so frequently without being infected.

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

That is my thought as well. The OP should reinstall the OS and start from scratch with decent antimalware software or read this first: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42148

3. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

All these list-based techniques are reactive. None of them are a silver-bullet as the URLs, IP are changing by the hour, day.

I agree with the previous poster.. you probably have a rootkit on that machine and thats why the infection appears to keep coming back. A full OS reinstall is in order.

Assume he is trained not to run any exe that IE prompts him to, I would install a security product that blocks exes downloaded that have low reputation. In addition, we have to close the holes on vulnerabilities. To do that:
    - Hopefully he has Windows 7 (preferably 64-bit as that will block most rootkits). Make sure security updates are turned on to automatically download and install
    - Uninstall Adobe Reader, Flash and Java. Reinstall the latest ones. These have auto update capability and he should accept the toaster when prompted to update
    - Create a non-Admin account for him and put a password on the admin account
    - Use Chrome, though IE will do to.

That should take care of most of it.

I take one additional step with my parents and that is install Secunia PSI. This free product will detect vulnerable version of all software on your machine. And guide you on how to patch them. ALways remember that its not just enough to patch Microsoft software. You have to close 3rd party holes as well. Periodically when I call up my parents I ask them to tell me the status of the Secunia dashboard and then over the phone I will guide them on how to patch the most serious ones. Its easier thatn you think.. just follow the link from Secunia.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I guess use a web filter and avoid fishy sites :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.