Gobal Hooks in Process Guard

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Old Monk, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hello there

As suggested by Ronjor

Original thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=87072

Hi there Ron

Thanks for staying in touch on this one. I'm still unsure quite what's gone on here but all now seems ok with my secure sites and access both through Firefox and IE seems fine

However, these questions still remain.

1/ My Firefox settings clearly changed without my knowing intervention.

2/ A reinstall of Firefox resulted in OCSP enabled as the default setting contrary to the help file which states that OCSP is disabled.

3/ My volume settings have been set to minimum without my intervention in settings in Control Panel.

Also strangely, the logon in one of the secure sites referred to wouldn't recognise my User Name. The typing of the User Name is unencrypted whilst all other info is encrypted. In trying to learn about Process Guard I had denied iexplore certain privileges. It seems that when I temporarily removed all protection my user name was recognized again. Is it at all possible that denying global hooks in iexplore affected the recognition of my typed User Name in the log in area ?

I think the sites themselves are probably in themselves irrelevant ( anyway unless you're a registered user it's not possible to test the log in area anyway)- I'm still curious as to what may have changed my settings and whether PG is possibly involved - I have no issue at all with PG and think it is the best 19 quid I've spent in a long time but I'm aware that tinkering with default settings can have consequences.

Apologies for labouring on this thread bit I'm keen to learn so I don't make the same mistakes again.

PS -All trojan, virus, malware scans on my machine are coming up clean.

Cheers

Jon

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Old Monk,
    Yes it is possible, some prgrams do use these global hooks for certain functions, as IE is a trusted program and protected allow it global hooks and see what happens. Allowing IE global hooks does not allow global hooks to any other program providing, of course, that you have "Block Global Hooks" enabled in main.

HTH Pilli

3. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Thanks for that Pilli

I must say I don't know whats learning from what here - global hooks for iexplore still denied at present but log in still working. Could be I've just made things a little unstable.

Will enable them again and see where we go from there. All very interesting !

I'll keep you posted - so to speak !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.