Firefox Encryption Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Old Monk, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi folks

All of a sudden I can't visit a secure site using Firefox (ERROR IN ESTABLISHING AN ENCRYPTED CONNECTION )- the site states it has upgraded to 128 bit encryption level. Does Firefox not support this level of encryption ?

Thanks to advices from this forum, Firefox is my current browser of choice and if this is the case then with all the supposed IE vulnerabilities surely companies who profess to having security at the top of their agenda should allow access to more secure browsers.

Any comments gratefully received.

Cheers

Jon

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you check options, advanced, security settings? You can also uninstall Firefox and reinstall to repair any corruption.

3. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

4. Old Monk

Thanks for your replies - I'll check both areas over the weekend. I'm taking it from your response that sites using 128 bit encryption shouldn't in themselves be a problem in Firefox ?

Cheers

Jon

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Old Monk

Excellent Ron ! Ask and ye shall receive !

Many Thanks

Jon

7. Old Monk

Still ongoing with this I'm afraid.

Tried Ronjors link and Firefox checked out ok. Uninstalled and downloaded Firefox again - same problem. Went to the Settings -Advanced -Security and had to change the default setting to 'Do not use OCSP for certificate validation' - now I access the log in for the site I referred to earlier.

Question is now - is this any less a secure setting in Frefox ?

Cheers

Jon

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Can you give me the link you are having problems with here or by pm?

9. Old Monk

Hi there Ron

I'm afraid I'm now a bit 'comfortably numb' now after Pink Floyd - if I may I'll post again tomorrow on this. To be honest I'd sooner not divulge the sites publicly suffice to say they are both secure log-in areas for reputable companies ( I'll pm tomorrow if needs be if thats ok)

The default setting I had in F/fox was 'Use OCSP TO VALIDATE ALL CERTIFICATES USING THIS URL AND SIGNER -BUILTIN OPTION IPSCLASE1ROOT.

Any more thoughts gratefully received Ron and I'll respond tomorrow - PS this is affecting at least 2 log in sites.

Cheers

Jon

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Firefox defaults to automatically choose the appropriate method. Look at the help file for more info.

11. Old Monk

Hi there

Thanks for the help. Under Firefox help it states that OCSP is not used by default. As I said earlier this has just started with no warning and my reinstall DID default to OCSP enabled. I've never touched Firefox settings. Curiously my sound volume seemed low over the last day or so and having looked in the Control Panel the volume is set to minimum. Again, it's been months since I looked at my volume control - this all seems odd to me. I've no doubt I'm missing something very obvious here but I am a little concerned.

Any more thoughts ?

Cheers

Jon

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Old Monk

I'm not sure what the problem could be. If I had a site to check, I could go to the site and see if I have the same problem.

You could look through the link. MozillaZine

13. Old Monk

Hi there Ron

Thanks for staying in touch on this one. I'm still unsure quite what's gone on here but all now seems ok with my secure sites and access both through Firefox and IE seems fine

However, these questions still remain.

1/ My Firefox settings clearly changed without my knowing intervention.

2/ A reinstall of Firefox resulted in OCSP enabled as the default setting contrary to the help file which states that OCSP is disabled.

3/ My volume settings have been set to minimum without my intervention in settings in Control Panel.

Also strangely, the logon in one of the secure sites referred to wouldn't recognise my User Name. The typing of the User Name is unencrypted whilst all other info is encrypted. In trying to learn about Process Guard I had denied iexplore certain privileges. It seems that when I temporarily removed all protection my user name was recognized again. Is it at all possible that denying global hooks in iexplore affected the recognition of my typed User Name in the log in area ?

I think the sites themselves are probably in themselves irrelevant ( anyway unless you're a registered user it's not possible to test the log in area anyway)- I'm still curious as to what may have changed my settings and whether PG is possibly involved - I have no issue at all with PG and think it is the best 19 quid I've spent in a long time but I'm aware that tinkering with default settings can have consequences.

Apologies for labouring on this thread bit I'm keen to learn so I don't make the same mistakes again.

PS -All trojan, virus, malware scans on my machine are coming up clean.

Cheers

Jon

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Jon

You might want to post this last question in the Process Guard forum.

15. stryder83

stryder83 Registered Member

Maybe I missed it, but did you try the same site with a different browser?

The problem may lie server-side, and have nothing to do with your PC.

Regards,
    Brandon

16. Old Monk

Hi there Brandon

To be honest as it's been a while now, I can't actually remember !

However, it seems to be resolved now. I still suspect it had something to do with my tinkering with PG but I can'be sure.

Pilli's response in the related thread seemed to suggest this was a possibilty. The mechanics of that are a little lost on me at this stage. Might try and replicate the problem if I feel brave enough and I'll post again if the problem arises again.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.