GNOBSD - A beginning

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

What marks a revolution? Either a bloodbath or a small, yet critical change. Well, GNOBSD could just be that. If you're wondering what I'm babling about, then please read a review of GNOBSD, a BSD-based operating system with a live DVD, graphical installer and automatic hardware detection, similar to Luinux distribution, currently in its early development phase.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnobsd.html

A previous thread about the operating system:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=264351

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Thanks for the review, Mrk. Nice write up, as usual. :).

It seems the GNOBSD iso I used back in February is the same as the one at the GNOBSD website, at least according to the md5sums. I posted an md5sum in the previous Wilders thread that you linked to and it matches the one at the GNOBSD website. I was hoping he would have added some advancements (like wireless drivers for instance) since then. Guess not. I had like 700 mbs downloaded of what I thought was a new version when I decided to check it out. Glad I did.

Later...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

how was your experience with GNOBSD Trespasser

which of these you guys recommend i am looking for live cd/dvd and mostly out of box experience on bsd and surfing net

BSDanywhere

GhostBSD

or

GNOBSD

Thanks in advance for help

4. IMHO a better beginning would be a GPLed version of Free/Net/OpenBSD. Not because I like the GPL (I don't), but because it could safely assimilate parts of Linux drivers, making its hardware support better - hardware support being the biggest weak point of the BSDs. After all, before having nifty stuff like automounting you actually have to support common desktop and laptop hardware.

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Wot's the prob with PC-BSD for a trial ??

6. mack_guy911

hmmm sorry i miss that i definitely look that one as well :D

GNOBSD look very attractive to me as well can any please tell his experience with GNOBSD

7. mack_guy911

8. OpenBSD is a terrrible out-of-the-box experience for novices; it is extremely barebones by default. Once set up it can be somewhat friendly, but it is not easy for a novice to set up, and its lack of compatibility with Flash and the like makes it undesirable as a desktop.

I'd still recommend, though, that every Linux maven try it at least once, because in its own way it is a very beautiful OS. The developers of OpenBSD are intent on doing things right, and it really shows.

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

It is a great idea: not fully cooked yet.
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnobsd.html
    LOL, got that right, but it is a great learning experience.

PC-BSD is a mature tool with good GUI interface for learning, but, it also has all the functionality of BSD inherent and can be used as such.
    There are reams of information/documentation/manuals available for all the BSD flavours.

The flick from Linux to 'Unix' is not as straight forward as may seem.

10. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Sorry for not answering before now, Mack_Guy911. :).

I can't believe it. I must have thrown the GNOBSD DVD away. I can't find it anywhere. I threw Mint 8 away just this morning. It's hard to say how many different distro CD/DVDs are now buried forever in our local landfill. :doubt: . I need to stop doing that (but they build up so fast).

If you hope to run wireless with GNOBSD then forget it. I couldn't get either of my laptops to work even after spending a considerable amount of time on it. Also, if I recall correctly, it didn't have Network Manager installed. It did give me internet access after I connected an ethernet cable. The Desktop is your typical Gnome interface. Very plain. Sort of reminded me of CentOS or Scientific Linux (I still don't understand the fascination with CentOS that some of our members have...I spent the last two days trying to catch the bug...but couldn't...:'( ). It did have Firefox 3.0.11, MPlayer, plus a few others but I can't recall exactly what. It didn't have a package manager, again, if I recall correctly, or maybe it didn't have any repos. To its credit it was the easiest BSD install I've EVER experienced. Over all GNOBSD was a good experience though a difficult one. Credit goes to its creator.

Later...

11. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

For Mint, dont bother with DVD, create LIVE USB instead, far more cost effective and faster to install and you don't throw away nothing.

12. mack_guy911

thanks Trespasser linuxforall Longboard Gullible Jones i wait a little bit then i download GNOBSD or pc bsd from my cousin house :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.