GNOBSD: killed off at birth?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Longboard, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Such is the problem with the Linux community on average, they still consider themselves the elite. That's a shame, that distro looked better than the ever-present blue and green in 99% of distros. It also evidently worked better right off the bat than the majority do.

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

What a coincidence. I read the article at DistroWatch...got interested...did a search for a download link (couldn't find one anywhere)...sent an email to it's creator asking for him to reconsider his decision to withdraw it for download...and decided to visit here to find this subject opened. Nice. If anyone finds a torrent or download link for this somewhere please post it. Also, in my opinion this elitist is more extreme on the BSD side of the line more so than in mainstream linux. Actually it sort of reminds me of Gentoo snobbery a little.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Amazing. So sad. The mentality of passive-aggressive geeks. It probably has to do with being beaten too much as a child and then studying computer science at the uni, that can scar your cerebral tissue.
    Mrk

5. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

That's probably true, but still, I get tired of reading on forums "Oh my, I stopped using Ubuntu x years ago. It's only for newbies."
    I also held off using Linux for quite awhile because of the repetitive degradations of Windows users among a probably small - but very loud - percentage of Linux users.
    I guess I should thank Mrkvonic and others here for their non-elitist approach. You all swayed me.

6. Trespasser

Mrk's passive-aggressive comment brought to mind my years of studying Freud or Reich and in my opinion this downgrading of Windows stems from an insecurity on the part of these Linux users. Jealousy would be another word I might use. We are after all taking on the King of all operating systems. Like it or not Windows is a great and most popular OS in the world. Again, in my opinion, this expression of their insecurity is an attempt to draw others into their obscurity thus making them feel not quite as alone. Before everyone starts jumping on me for these statements let me say that not every Linux users feels this way...only the loud naysayers. Linux is becoming more mainstream with each passing day and for good reason. Linux's strong points are its security aspects and most of the time it's available for free (unlike Windows).

Just my opinion.

BTW, the creator of GNOBSD responded to my email and sent me a ftp download link. After I finish downloading it I'll post the link here for those who wish to try it. The download speed is only 200 KB/sec. It's 2.1 gigs in size so it will eventually take me 3 hours to download.

Later...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  7. BeThrough

BeThrough Registered Member

Could you please give us (me ;) ) the download link.
    I have read the article on Distrowatch.com but at this time the download link was already down.:ouch:
    I really would like to try out this Distro:doubt:

8. Trespasser

Here's the download link for GNOBSD sent to me by its creator, Stefan. Be warned, again, it's 2.1 gigs in size, and, at least for me, the download speed was around 200 KB/sec. It took almost 3 hours. There's an img file as well as an iso file. There is no md5 or sha256 sum file listed. I got this when I ran them (not sure if these are the correct sums)...

SHA256
    f7785cab81c6e29ce228fc543a1654f533b626ce14a9a667bf40b1318bead1bb gnobsd46-i386-dvd.iso

md5
    2a66e6a10544674fd5d0cfbed71e4dfc gnobsd46-i386-dvd.iso

ftp://17638-gnobsd:Bx27tgH4@www.zion-studios.net/

He said in his email that this link will be deleted within the next 1 to 2 weeks so grab it while you can.

Later...

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm.... really bad. It must had beem kept alive.

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

What has this got to do with Linux or its community?

11. jondav2006

jondav2006 Registered Member

Does anyone have a working link ? The ftp seems to be dead. If not, then it would be greatly appreciated if you can upload the ISO file (split into parts) on some file sharing service preferably mediafire ?

Thanks.

PS: I joined this forum simply to request this file. Please do the needful.

12. Trespasser

Sorry, dude, that the link is not working now. It was working this morning.

I tried GNOBSD a few hours ago and I must say that it was the easiest BSD install I've ever experienced. The downside is it didn't have a Network Manager. It didn't recognize either wireless device on two different laptops. It did pickup my wired connection though but only after I did a complete reinstall of the OS. There's hardly any applications installed (Firefox 3.0.11, MPlayer...sorry I can't tell more but I spent most of my time trying to get my wireless going). Makes you wonder why the install disc is 2.1 gigs in size. A noteworthy effort on Stefan's part but as of now it's not a keeper.

Later...

13. Trespasser

I just got another email from Stefan. It seems 100 people from this site have tried to download GnoBSD from his friends ftp server. That's why they removed it. Guess I should have asked him first before posting it here. :D . He did mention that they might put it out on a torrent soon.

Later....

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Stefan should should just do what he feels is right, in spite of the blighted opinions of others.

15. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

This was not a "distribution" and it was not Linux.

16. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

Sounds like me, except that I am probably too old to go back to college to study Computer Science!

;-))

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It was a "distribution" of OpenBSD, and as far as it not being Linux, well, sorry if I mislabeled it. The point of my post was to show the common elitist attitude amongst the people that use these alternative operating systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.